PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Dreams

westbeach55
08-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Wed, August 29, 2007

Pipe dreams20-year-old goalie has eyes on being Kings top stopper
By DEREK VAN DIEST, SUN MEDIA

Alex Archibald knows what it takes to play for a Western Hockey League expansion team.

The 20-year-old goaltender was a member of the expansion Chilliwack Bruins last season.

This year he's looking for a job with the Edmonton Oil Kings.

"There are a lot of good goalies here," Archibald said. "Not only the older guys, but there are a lot of good younger goalies here that are really pushing.

"It's exciting, though. You can't ask for a lot more. All I can really worry about is trying to do my best and push myself to do my best and hopefully things will work out."

Archibald played in 34 regular-season games for the Bruins last year. He was the team's backup for part of the season, but took over when Matt Esposito went down with an injury.

Archibald finished the regular season with an 8-15 record, a 3.71 goals against average and a .880 save percentage with three shutouts.

He helped the Bruins make the playoffs where they lost to the eventual Memorial Cup champion Vancouver Giants in the first round.

"I got a chance to see him last year in Chilliwack a little bit," said Oil Kings head coach Steve Pleau. "He grabbed the bull by the horns towards the end of the year for them and I think that's what really impressed us the most about him.

OLD HAT

"He's been through this situation before, he's a 20-year-old, he has good experience, and we hopefully expect him to take the reins."

Born in Halifax, N.S., Archibald played his minor hockey in Winnipeg and was listed by the Prince Albert Raiders as a 16-year-old.

A year later he cracked the Raiders roster and played two seasons before going to Chilliwack. The Oil Kings acquired Archibald and forward Tyler Halliday from the Bruins in lieu of a pick in the WHL expansion draft.

"This year here we look a lot older," Archibald said. "I think we'll be a lot better off at the start than we were last year in Chilliwack.

"We did have a great group of guys last year in Chilliwack.

"We got off to a slow start, but we really developed as a team and the young guys really improved as the year went along. It was a good year - a positive year."

Archibald is one of seven goaltenders attending the Oil Kings training camp at Millennium Place in Sherwood Park. He's one of four with WHL experience.

Also vying for roster spots are former Kamloops Blazer Dalyn Flette, 17, Tommy Tartaglione, 19, acquired from the Regina Pats, and Chris Ward, 18, who played with the Portland Winterhawks.

The goaltending battle is one of the most intriguing at training camp.

"It's a good situation for us," said Oil Kings general manager Bob Green.

"Certainly at this level you have to identify age a little bit and your needs at those age groups. But we'll let them play and sort themselves out."

Heading into the season the Oil Kings plan on taking the best two puck stoppers regardless of age.

Often WHL teams will carry a younger goaltender to complement a veteran. Few use up a 20-year-old spot on a goaltender.

EXTRA ROOM

However as an expansion team, the Oil Kings have two extra spots for over-age players this season which bodes well for Archibald.

"I'm not really concerned about that, I try not to put pressure on myself," Archibald said. "I try to prepare myself for every game and every situation.

"But I know there is more at stake for me so I'm trying to prepare myself better than maybe I have in the last two years."

Previous story: Time to get down to business
Next story: Forsberg remains in limbo

Bruins_Booster
08-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Archi was very impressive in the series vs. the G-Men and basically stood on his head to keep the Bruins in most of the games. He really showed that he can play an intense game, and hey, he can even drop the gloves and hold his ground in a fight or two. It would be nice to see him get his shot as starter right from the get-go. The Oil Kings really got a good deal when they nabbed him in lieu of the expansion draft pick as he can provide some leadership on the team as well. I wish him the best and hope he impresses!