PDA

View Full Version : Delaronde Making Impact With Tribe

Scout
08-30-2007, 09:25 AM
MATTHEW GOURLIE
The Moose Jaw Times Herald

Warriors forward Terrance Delaronde chats with teammates during practice Tuesday afternoon. Matthew Gourlie photograph

Terrance Delaronde is a player who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty and is looking for a fresh start.
As the 20-year-old from Winnipeg joins the Moose Jaw Warriors, he has shown a strong work ethic and no shortness of grit in practice and scrimmages during training camp.
Delaronde says he isn’t trying to make a statement in camp — he just only knows one way to play the game.
“I’ve been a hard-work guy since I started playing the game, that’s just who I am,” said Delaronde.
“I work hard on and off the ice and I take a lot of pride in that.”
Delaronde was acquired from the Kamloops Blazers in June for a fourth round Bantam pick in 2009. The hard-working power forward had 12 goals and 12 assists in 69 games. He tallied 109 penalty minutes and also scored two playoff goals in four games.
“I was very excited. I though it was a good opportunity to come here and finish my junior career on a positive note and hopefully move on to the pros,” said Delaronde.
The left winger joins returnee Keith Voytechek as the lone overage forwards while goalies Joey Perricone and Kurt Jory battle for the starting job. Though the Warriors’ 20-year-old situation seems set, Delaronde isn’t taking anything for granted.
“Nothing is guaranteed in this game, it’s going to be a battle for everyone,” said the six-foot-one, 197-pounder. “Every day you have to come here and prove yourself day in and day out. That’s just the way it is.
“I have to be who I am . . . and be positive day in and day out.”
Delaronde began his career with the Regina Pats as a 17-year-old. He played 19 games before being traded to Kamloops. He finished that 2004-05 season with 10 points and had 15 points and 188 penalty minutes in 05-06 with the Blazers.
A gritty player who isn’t afraid to drop his gloves, Delaronde got plenty of penalty kill time last season with the Blazers and earned some power play minutes as well.
“I had a high-energy role — bump and grind and create energy for the guys and bury when I can,” said Delaronde. “It was nice, but I’m happy to be here in Moose Jaw.”
While Delaronde isn’t going to stray from his lunch bucket roots, he does think he has some untapped offensive upside.
“I’m not going to sell myself short. I think I can bury (chances) in this league and I plan on putting up higher numbers than I did last year,” he said. “When I go out there I’m not thinking about how many points I might put up, I’m just thinking about two points for the win.”
A move east may help. After years of featuring a grinding, defensive style, the Eastern Conference is far more open than it has been.
“I want to open my game up and bring my skill level up and advance in that direction,” said Delaronde.
While Delaronde is setting a good tone in camp and practice with his intensity, he’s also setting a good example off the ice. During camp wherever you could find Delaronde you could be sure Tomas Karpov wouldn’t be far behind.
Karpov is an 18-year-old Czech rookie who speaks little English and Delaronde has been making sure he knows where he is going for meetings, meals and such.
“I’m trying to be a positive leader and give him a good introduction to what the WHL is all about,” said Delaronde. “I’m sure any of the other guys would stepped up and taken him around.”