PDA

View Full Version : Blades Jersey a Perfect Fit

Scout
08-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Courtesy Saskatoon Star Phoenix:

The Blades have plenty of Saskatoon content as they open training camp today in Martensville. Kaye and Chris Durand -- both 20-year-old forwards -- are the latest Saskatoon pucksters to be repatriated. Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken acquired both players through off-season trades.

They're teammates now, but their rivalry goes way back.

"I was a Bobcat and Mike was a Redwing," said Durand. "We played each other quite a bit when we were young. The most memorable thing for me was the time that he dislocated my shoulder."

That collision -- which occurred behind the net at Harold Latrace Arena -- is not etched so indelibly in Kaye's mind.

"To tell you the truth, I don't really remember that," Kaye said with a laugh. "But I remember that he was always the best player on that team and I always kept an eye out for him."

Their paths crossed occasionally in recent years. Kaye played for the Lethbridge Hurricanes and Tri-City Americans, while Durand toiled with the Seattle Thunderbirds and Prince George Cougars. Now they've come home to steer the Blades back into contention.

"Hopefully with some older guys like myself and Mike and (Justin) McCrae, we can help the team form an identity," said Durand. "The biggest thing is to get off to a good start now that they're using the conference standings (to seed teams one through eight) for playoffs."

Kaye is a heavy-hitting winger, while Durand is a talented two-way centre. They're eager to reprise those roles with their hometown team.

"Getting to come back and play in this rink as visitor was always pretty special," said Kaye, "so being able to play in this rink every night will be pretty cool."

BLADE BITS: Training camp practices begin at 8 a.m. today at Martensville Arena. Scrimmages run at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. . . . The Blades have hired John Stevenson as a goaltender consultant. Stevenson's credits include working with the Edmonton Oilers . . . Former NHL defenceman Rich Pilon has joined the Blades as an assistant coach. Molleken's coaching staff also includes full-time assistant David Struch, plus Jerome Engele and Dave Chartier . . . The Blades have discounted ticket prices for the Sept. 22 home-opener versus Brandon. However, fans must purchase their tickets this Friday to take advantage of the reduced rates: $12.25 for adults, $10.25 for students/seniors and $6.25 for children. Furthermore, fans who buy adult season tickets on Friday qualify for the early-bird price of $360.

hobster
08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
I can see simularities to this years team and from the 05/06 team comparisen bahensky to brandis, rabbit to mccrae,klassen to kaye,bader to durand,barnes to giliies,setoguchi to hulak same kind of teams that year our defence wasnt the greatest but had good goaltending too hmm im sencing a second round sweep in the future