PDA

View Full Version : New Rule Changes

Scout
08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
WHL Adopts Rule for 2007-08 Changes
Created: Aug 30, 2007
CALGARY, AB - Western Hockey League fans will notice some rule changes for the upcoming
2007- 08 season. The WHL has adopted several rule changes consistent with the rule changes the NHL has put into place for their upcoming season.

Below are the following rule changes that will be used, commencing with the 2007-08 WHL Pre-Season Schedule:

i. The home Club shall have the choice of shooting first or second in the shoot-out.

ii. The term “Gross Misconduct” has been eliminated from the Rule Book. Any act that would have been assessed a Gross Misconduct penalty previously will now receive a Game Misconduct penalty.

iii. A player may be awarded a penalty shot if he is fouled on a clear breakaway outside his defensive zone (i.e., anywhere in the neutral zone or in the attacking zone). Previously, a penalty shot was awarded only when a player was on a clear breakaway and was fouled on the attacking side of the center line.

iv. Referees have the discretion to assess a major penalty and game misconduct when an injury results from an act of interference. Previously, only a minor penalty could be assessed for interference.

v. All face-offs must be conducted at one of the nine face-off dots painted on the rink. Previously, there were instances, such as when a puck left the playing surface, which caused the face-off to occur on unmarked ice.

vi. The WHL will not have a measurement for stick curvature for player’s or goaltender’s sticks.

SectionNDeserter
08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
iv. Referees have the discretion to assess a major penalty and game misconduct when an injury results from an act of interference. Previously, only a minor penalty could be assessed for interference.
I can see it now, someone will hook a player without the puck, and that player will strain their hamstring, and Savage will give them a major :D

rinkrat
08-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Speaking of rules, what are the rules regarding limiting the number of 16 year olds on a team or league?
I remember this being discussed last year,did it go through?