PDA

View Full Version : Now that we have had a good look

AMSRocker
08-31-2007, 12:42 AM
How do you guys feel about the 07-08 team?
There is a lot of great young tallent out there but do you feel that there is enough to hold up in the U.S. this season and make it through the 72 game battle ahead?

Do you guys feel that the AMS will...
A - push for the #1 spot in the U.S.
B - finnish in the middle of the pack and make the playoffs and that would be a good showing
C - struggle and feel lucky if we make the playoffs

Well???

CRASH69
09-10-2007, 10:46 AM
After this weekend and watching the team's play i see Spokane and Am's battleing it out for the top spot and unfortunly the Chief's sqeeking out the division. The Am's seem to hav e the speed to compete just looking for a little back -end tweak, unless Fast come's back the we'll be fine. That to me is the only thing i say this weekend other then a few bad passes. But to me the team look good and really impressed me.

Peace Out

HAF
09-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Sadly, Spokane looks like the most complete package to me. I see them winning the division with a good 10 point cushion. From there, its going to be a dogfight from 2nd to 4th with Portland in 5th. Every team I saw this weekend have issues that need worked out but Spokane looks to be the front of the pack as far as having a complete package put together.

dondo
09-10-2007, 11:57 AM
sorry crash69, but after watching Tri struggle through the pre-season tourney (in Everett -- didn't see them in Kennewick) I don't have high hopes for the Ams this season. They are losing a premier goalie and the pieces that are left are good, but truly the team itself was never a coherent whole on the ice.

Maybe its a pre-season thing, but the Ams were relying solely on individual efforts and had zero team concept. They couldn't break out well out their zone and the mis-managed the puck frequently. There's a few nice individuals to watch there, but all in all I don't see this squad winning a whole lot of games without cohesive team play.

The only real stand-out for me was Kyle Birch, the rest of the players came in and out -- no-one was consistently in there -- like Spokane's Donaghy or Seattle's Bear. No-one on the team dominated and a lot of the goals they scored were softies.

I'm curious if they looked more cohesive in their own pre-season tourney.

CRASH69
09-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Sorry wasn't up at the tourny in Everrett but heard how bd we did look from some good freinds that was up there. Tri's tourny other then sunday's game was great the team showed alot of team speed and the concept was found as the team played as a team in both Friand Sat night. Sun was a diffent story Thessin let alot of b.s. chippy play go on that finally got to a lot of the Am's player's and they lost it. Other than that game i see a diffent style of team out there than i have in along time here in Am's ville. Yes we have lost Price he's gone and moved on i have full faith that Chet will be just fine in net once Fast come's back or mabey we get a vet or two in the back end. That is the only soft spot i see on this team is the need for one vet d-man. Also Kyle Birch was outstanding down here to so if Pickard can't handle it not really worried there. Standing by my pick's 1. Spokane
2. Tri
3. Seattle
4. Everrett
5. Portland

Peace Out

Buddy
09-10-2007, 12:41 PM
As I have been talking about all pre season .......I feel regardless of what 3 20's we keep we have the best "GROUP" of 20 year olds in the league.

I feel we have the best "GROUP" of rookies in the league.

We have some solid performers in between those age groups such as Pro ,Scmidt, Mystery, Hoff , Reddick, etc.

The whole league knows that Chet is not Carey Price but who is?

The key in my opinion is our defense......they have to help Chet more than they him "AND CAREY" last year.....we know Fast is solid .....Mystery and Schmidt both look improved to me ....Can McColm step it up?

I cant tell these things from the pre season we will know within the next few months tho.

More importantly than our Defense I am gonna put the biggest burden on Nachbauer........He has some incredible talent on this team ....and I do mean "INCREDIBLE" Will he be able to take all these individuals and mold them into one team? If he does watch out US division because you are possibly looking at one of the most explosive offensive production this division has seen for a while. Also he needs to teach them some discipline ...... I have my own opinions about last night Everett/Ams game .....the fact is our kids lost their composure and The tips kept theirs. I don't blame them for policing the game when Thiesen failed to but they to maintain better control when they do>

Buddy

aaAlta
09-10-2007, 09:11 PM
I dunno guys. Couple new posters here feeling good about the forward talent. And thats nice, especially if Yellowhorn comes back. But IMO, the order today looks like Spokane, Everett, Tri/Seattle, Portland. And I expect Seattle to be much better with their returns.

But all that can certainly change as the rosters firm up and the dynamics of the teams develop. And I think Nachbauer is a coach that can move things along fairly well. But if they want to move up the ladder, they'll have to dig really deep. Cause I dont think they are there yet by a long shot.

Theres still lots of work to be done with the Tri team as a whole. Theres more D men in to work out I hear. But D is a whole team responsibility too. And you need to score more to counter regardless. Plus, it would be good if the physical aspects of the game could be shared over a greater portion of the team. Otherwise I think teams like Spokane and Everett will out muscle you most nights.

AMSRocker
09-10-2007, 09:34 PM
We are sitting on a pile of great boys and with a little tweek on the back end we could be sitting on a strong team! Like I've told many of you I think the U.S. Div (less Por) is very strong this season! The key to it all is to get some road kills and get the ball rolling. If they can start to click you will see some impressive stuff out there!

Buddy
09-11-2007, 12:08 PM
We are sitting on a pile of great boys and with a little tweek on the back end we could be sitting on a strong team! Like I've told many of you I think the U.S. Div (less Por) is very strong this season! The key to it all is to get some road kills and get the ball rolling. If they can start to click you will see some impressive stuff out there!

I remember last year when everyone expected us to finish at the bottom of the entire league.......If we had gone with the team we started with we propably would have.....We all know what Tory pulled off last year and what our team became......Tory hasn't pulled that kind of trade off yet but we all know he is trying.

Spokane is the most balanced team in the division ......No real superstars IMO but a whole bunch of "GOOD" players that seem to have meshed together into a very cohesive unit......I believe if Tory can bring in a couple of key players (2 new D men today but dont know if they are the key) we compete for this division.

I dont believe anyone in the league can control us offensively we just need to eliminate some of the easy goals against.

Buddy

AmsPhotos
09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
I guess I'm not as convinced as everyone seems to be that the Chiefs should be handed the US banner. ;) Yeah, they had a good preseason, but I've seen plenty of teams, the AMS included, look great in the exhibition season only to not fair well in the regular season.

I look at their roster and Bowman is a bit scarey and Rutherford will put the puck in the net, but who else is really that scarey. Maybe you throw Wahl in there as guys capable of netting 25+ goals, but is there any beyond that? There two other overage forwards (besides Rutherford) scored a combined 21 goals last year.

They were pretty firmly planted in fourth in the US division in goals against and they lost their best defenseman in Zimmerman.

aaAlta
09-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Buddy, how can you say nobody can control them offensively. They got shut out on Sunday. Sure Evs goalie was good and the second was a mess, but I think you're overstating things a bit. Theres still work to be done up front too.

And with Wutzke gone now, you're down a little more physicality up there as well. Against strong teams you are not just going to fly and funnel to the net, or around and out of the corners. Being a Tri fan I hope you are all right. But I just dont think feeling the offense is unbeatable is a really healthy attitude at this stage.

Stay-Puft
09-11-2007, 07:30 PM
After watching this weekend, there is potential up front. But here's my rub. I didn't see the consistancy among the older players. There's no guarantee that Fast and/or Yellowhorn will be back, which are arguably the most consistant players on the roster. I don't have a lot of confidence in the other returnees, other than Pro, to be the best players night in and night out. There is also the possibility that Toll, Schmidt and Mestery could be the senior members of the blueline. I know we just traded for a couple of d-men, added a couple for this past weekend, and there's McColm, but they don't have a year's worth of WHL games between them. The senior members wouldn't have been this young since Belle, Stoner, Festerling and Stevenson were back there as 16s and 17s. And I really don't see a clear number one in net yet either. I think Pickard will start the year, but I feel there will be a on-going rotation until someone starts to separate themselves.

As is, I'm expecting a competitive team, but I think there will be some growing pains early. I think that they will start to blossom in the 2nd half though, which would be exciting for the rest of the year. Of course, it will all depend on if Fast and/or Yellowhorn return, in which I would expect a faster start and fewer pains. For now, I'll go with Everett on top, followed by Spokane, Tri, Seattle, and Portland.

Buddy
09-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Buddy, how can you say nobody can control them offensively. They got shut out on Sunday. Sure Evs goalie was good and the second was a mess, but I think you're overstating things a bit. Theres still work to be done up front too.

And with Wutzke gone now, you're down a little more physicality up there as well. Against strong teams you are not just going to fly and funnel to the net, or around and out of the corners. Being a Tri fan I hope you are all right. But I just dont think feeling the offense is unbeatable is a really healthy attitude at this stage.

It simple aaAlta.....the team on the ice sunday is no where near the team that will be there opening night .......I believe Yellowhorn will be back and is a 50 goal scorer I believe Pro is capable of 40 to 50 goals.......I believe Felde or Vey both are capable of 30 plus goals......our rookies are all capable and tho not 40 goal guys guys led by Broda....hoff....Reddick.....McCauley are all capable of 15 to 30 goals......I see with the guys I just mentioned there is 3 if not 4 lines on the ice all capable of scoring ........does this mean we will never have low scoring games .....of course not .......but you put any team up against us in a season series I dont see anyone shutting us down on a regular basis....yes it will happen on occasion but I believe they will be few and far between. Now, add some defense and watch out!!

aaAlta
09-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok buddy, cool, I get what you're saying. Lets go with that. I guess i was feeling like we really needed fast and yellowhorn back, or else. As I expect the other teams to have some quality returns as well. And i still would like to see some strength and punch added at both F and D. But I'm looking forward to see how it comes together and how they move along as the season progresses.

Buddy
09-12-2007, 12:13 PM
All that said if Chet and Birch dont get some help I see us losing a lot of games 7-5 7-6 if you get my meaning.......After sunday's everett debacle I have changed my view on needing an enforcer........It should be up to one guy to be able to go out there and put a stop to the cheap ***** instead of half of our team imploding........so lets hope we get Fast back and the new guys from Kamloops can help out.......

Buddy

AmsPhotos
09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Broda has been, by far in my opinion, the most impressive veteran. Everyone has said he is chiseled physically and he really looks confident out there this year. I think he will have a breakthrough season this year and will establish himself as a top 10 offensive forward in the western conference.

AMSRocker
09-12-2007, 02:26 PM
but very effective one was Blair Macaulay. Don gave him several pats on the back durring the Tips game. I like his size and speed. He will be another key elliment here in Tri.

aaAlta
09-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Ok, so on the enforcer thing. I think its good to have more balanced team strength and response. So you have enough in the line to just play wide open/hard hitting, or close checking/agressive, to sorting out crap if necessary with a couple middleweights. Yes you want to have a heavyweight, that can still play, but you also want to be able to respond in a more fluid way.

You dont always want to have to drop the bomb when the going gets rough. And I dont think I agree with your thinking that Tri imploded in the Everett game Sunday. Who lost their cool? We have no idea what words were exchanged between Beach and Pro, so forget that response. But the score was more a factor of Beach getting the puck alone at the net twice. (clear break out of the penalty box and I think that was him who intercepted a cross ice on the door step too.).

AMSRocker
09-13-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm not going to put to much thought into the loss to Everett. It was a preseason loss and that said it is not worth a hill of beans. Play the kids and the vets that might be traded...preseason... :dead:

As far as team toughness I think that we are sitting good. Not great but good. I would like to see Bob pick up a scrapper but it is not so high on my list as it was a few weeks ago. Schmidt, Gorman, Broda, McColm and maybe Macaulay will answer the call if a scrap is needed. I don't want to see our D-men getting into it though given our blue line situation! With all the new tallent that is comming in it looks like they want to play the kids and get them going on the AMS systems. I can't see Bob selling off any of the great new kids at all. I don't know... Maybe one tough guy but he MUST be able to hold down the back end!