PDA

View Full Version : The WK's future

sbtatter
08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
If you look at the breakdown of the Wheaties training camp roster by year of birth, we're setting up for great seasons in 08/09 and 09/10. We are light on 88's so can keep all 3 of them next year as overagers, and will have Glennie, Schenn, King etc improve after their rookie years....The 91's and 92's are showing great potential with their speed, size and skill.

87’s Boyle, Yeo, Louis, Dittmer
88’s Erb, Clark, Bartek,
89’s Aulie, Jeffries, Fehr, Caliguri, Smith, Robinson, Green, Kyle Ireland, Matt Calvert, Rylan Schwartz (I think?)
90’s Robak, Johnny Calkins, Hay, AJ Moore, Buddy Yewchyn, Sanfred King, Jordan Hale, Grill-Donovan
91’s Paul Ciarelli, Chuck Daychief, Lucas Zuefle, Scott Glennie, Brayden Schenn, Ross Fox, Jess Hall, Brock Genyk, Jordan Fraser, Brodie Melnychuk, Stephane Robidoux, Brett Rock, Alexander Kampen, Tyson Kennedy, Gevin Dubyk, Graham Hildebrand
92’s Aaron Hanson, Lee Stykel, Jordan Depape, Brenden Walker, Dillan Pollock, Brandon Regier, Jesse Pentland, Jesse Sinatynski, Zaine Walker, Richard Olson, Wheaton King, Ryan Magalas, Brendan Rouse, Mark Stone, Alex Sikora, Ryley Miller, Dallas Ehrhardt, Ryan Breen, Eric Baldwin, Jay Hudon, Ty Rimmer

WestLEAFfan
08-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Will Smith crack the roster? I was reading on this forum and it was mentioned he appeared to be trying too hard?!? Another comment was he looked like a pylon? Can anyone fill me in with some facts? Thanks.

Triton
08-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Will Smith crack the roster? I was reading on this forum and it was mentioned he appeared to be trying too hard?!? Another comment was he looked like a pylon? Can anyone fill me in with some facts? Thanks.

Probably not with the way Grill-Donovan, Melnychuk, Robidoux and Rock are playing.

Brandonite
08-31-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah at the beginning of camp Matty Smith & Derek Robinson were guys that were supposed to really fight for a job here this season. As camp has gone on for a few days and main camp starting today, other guys are starting to come out and show their stuff as well turning more heads. I gotta say that Robinson is not nearly as much a front runner as I would have thought and now that hes hurt it wont help much neither. Smith I have heard nothing but negative so he could be getting pushed out as well...Melnychyk & Grill-Donovan have been great and look to maybe have an upper hand now but as camp goes on more things will change! For all we know, both Louis & Yeo could be dealt...who knows, McCrimmon has made some big trades in the past!

WestLEAFfan
08-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Matty Smith spent the biggest part of the summer drinking and partying so I'm not surprised he isn't standing out at camp. Hockey was the last thing on his mind this summer. He needs to grow up in a big way. I wish him luck at camp.

Brandonite
08-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Well if he wasnt working in the off season then he doesnt deserve a spot with this team. If that is true, I wouldnt want him, I'd want someone who wants to be here and shows that from Day 1 and maybe his heart really isnt in it?

WestLEAFfan
09-01-2007, 03:51 AM
Well if he wasnt working in the off season then he doesnt deserve a spot with this team. If that is true, I wouldnt want him, I'd want someone who wants to be here and shows that from Day 1 and maybe his heart really isnt in it?

I know Matty very well. He is a good kid, however he has always had a problem with maturity. He means well but just doesn't put forth a very consistent effort most times. He is bilt like a brick outhouse and really has never had to work for it. That, as a result has gone to his head. When he played AAA with the S'toon Blazers he had several off ice issues but they were never his fault if you hear him tell it. He was full of excuses at the time. I hope he is changing in that regard. Good luck kid!

sbtatter
09-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Well, as far as on ice performance goes, this is what I've seen. He has decent speed, not scared to take the body, but lacks the puck handling and vision that Boyle/Kohn/Robak have. If he was a 90 or 91, I'd put him on the team. But because he's an 89, I'd rather work with a 91 like Fraser or Robidoux b/c you have 4 years to work and mould them. At this point, to make the team as an 89 rookie, you've pretty much got to be a standout, and he hasn' but that's just my imo!!

WestLEAFfan
09-01-2007, 07:37 AM
That's a very valid point. He'll likely end up with the LaRonge Ice Wolves again this season by the sounds of it. I know he and his parents weren't all that happy about that move last seaon, but they got over it. I really feel for his parents if he doesn't make the cut with the WK. They are super people.

Brandonite
09-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I think Nathan Green is the one guy who really needs to step up this season...he had a rough season last year and looked a little scared at times. Him and Fehr finished 1-2 in AAA scoring the previous year and Fehr looked alot more comfortable than Green did all season. Hopefully after a year of play under his belt, Green will come into his own and produce more this year as is expected!

Brandonite
09-01-2007, 04:49 PM
I also agree with the Matty Smith situation. He will likely end up back with La Ronge again this season as alot of younger guys are showing great promise in camp. Like you said, if he was 16 or 17 then he probably would be a 7th or 8th defenceman on this team but based on guys like Melnychk and Grill-Donovan and Rock etc. being 16 & 17, Smith's chances get slimmer. Alot of guys couldnt make Brandon in the past based on that exact fact. Tyler Harder, Lyle McKay, Jonathan Lawrence just to name off a couple off the top of my head!

booboo
09-01-2007, 06:10 PM
I have no problem biting the bullet and watching a young but talented team take their lumps, but we do need some toughies to look after these young players as the Dub is a tough league and intimatation is always going to be part of hockey. Have we addressed this concern yet or am I over-reacting.Comments guys and girls

Brandonite
09-01-2007, 07:39 PM
I have no problem biting the bullet and watching a young but talented team take their lumps, but we do need some toughies to look after these young players as the Dub is a tough league and intimatation is always going to be part of hockey. Have we addressed this concern yet or am I over-reacting.Comments guys and girls

Yeah I dont think toughness has really been braught up much other than the fact it was mentioned that we only have Yeo, Louis, Erb & Jeffries for vets who can drop em at any time. Other than that there is a question mark because you gotta have toughness to protect some of these skilled guys...

sbtatter
09-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Toughness will be an issue this year, I imagine they'll bring in another forward who can look after Glennie, Schenn, King, Calvert et al. Next year we'll be fine, b/c it looks like Schenn and Glennie will be tough enough by then...