PDA

View Full Version : Blades Roster (Final 26 prediction)

WHL Crazy
08-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Goalies
Braden Holtby-18 yrs
Garrett Zemlak-18 yrs
Adam Morrison-16 yrs

Defense
Adam Ward-19 yrs
Ryan Funk-18 yrs
Sam Klassen-18 yrs
Teigan Zahn-17 yrs
Jyri Niemi-17 yrs(first round euro, 13th overall)
Stefan Elliott-16 yrs(first round, BC Minor hockey player of the year, Canada under 17 camp, acquired in the Setoguchi deal, first team all star defense in the BC Midget league.
Mitch Berg-16 yrs(first round bantam pick, Team Sask)

Forwards
Justin McCrae-19 yrs
Chris Durand-20 yrs
Mike Kaye-20 yrs
Colton Gillies-18 yrs
Derek Hulak-18 yrs
Martin Brandis-19 yrs
Gaelan Patterson-17 yrs
Dustin Cameron-18 yrs
Walker Wintoneak-18 yrs
Garrett Klotz-19 yrs
Craig Cuthbert-19 yrs
Troy Crowley-18 yrs
*Travis Toomey-17 yrs (25-19-44 in 44 games in Midget)
*Curtis Hamilton-16 yrs (26-27-53-68 pims in 38 games in Midget at 15 yrs)

You could add in Canart maybe but we'll see.

hobster
08-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Deffinitly looks like another rebuilding season in toon town by the way the roster looks and the thing is there not even that young so they got there work cut for them i sure hope everything goes well tho defence im very scared about and offence is just average goaltending is awesome

WHL Crazy
08-31-2007, 01:30 PM
What are you talking about Hobster? That roster is very young with only 5 1988 born players or for you better understanding(19 yr olds). The team roster will likely have 3-4 16yr olds and only has 2 20 yr olds. Looks like one of the younger teams I've seen in recent years.

Age Breakdown
20 yr old- 2
19 yr old- 5
18 yr old- 10
17 yr old- 5(includes Philp)
16 yr old- 4

19 yr olds have to be key and on this roster they aren't with McCrae, Brandis, Cuthbert, Klutz and Ward.

Last place is in order here.

hobster
08-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Well 10 18,s 5 19,s and 3 20,s seems old to me and there is no offence at all there mccrae is a good 2 way player but not a good goal scorer expecially when menei got him most of his points he had last season

Shortys
08-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Don't forget that most of our players will be returnee's so it is not a rookie team as it was last year. Are you kidding WHL Crazy, last place in order? Hulak will lead in scoring, while McRae, Durand, Brandis, and Gillies will be helping out in scoring as well. We will have a seasoned offence, with the exception of Brandis. The defence is the only thing that looks sketchy, but with great goaltending that should even it out.

WHL Crazy
08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Forwards-
A bunch of average players really. Hulak, McCrae, Gillies are 2nd liners on average team, 3rd liners on a very good team. Durand Kaye have now been passed up on twice and have shown very little talent in their years in the dub. Durand has been a bit better but not 4th overall and 2nd round NHL caliber. Always has been overated! Mike Kaye, I won't even go there. As for the rest, they are basically fill in players with the likes of Walker Wintoneak, Cameron, Crowley, Cuthbert, KlUTZ, Patterson and the rookies.

Defense:
Pretty bad when your top 2 dman are Ward and Funk OUCH OUCH OUCH. Then you have Zahn and Klassen trying to hold the fort after when they are basically dime a dozen type WHL players. Elliott and Berg are 16 and time will tell with them. Niemi!!!! WHO THE HELL IS THAT???? Since when are FINN DMEN any good?

Goalies:
Holtby and Zemlak- Mediocre at its best right there.

Shortys
08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
LOL, this thread is getting way off topic, I thought it was about this years roster... As for how we do this season, look for us near the top by the end of the season. We will be looking down with laughter. The next 3 years look really promising, especially next year with all the 19's we will have.

With moving Gillies to the wing might open up more for him to focus on just one area, and get the pucks in the net, I have high hopes for him again this year, well I did last year too, but that didn't pan out...lol

wango tango
08-31-2007, 04:07 PM
goal - holtby, zemlak
defense - funk, niemi, berg, ward, zahn, elliott, klassen
forward - crowley, hulak, philp, toomey, mccrae, wintoneak, klotz, kaye, durand, hamilton, gillies, patterson, brandis, ?

there is usually a surprise or two out of camp, some guys play their way on or off during pre season games, and the blades are actively looking to add an overager on the blueline.

my guess is the roster (barring significant injury time) will be 23. 26 is too many to keep around.

molleken has set a goal of top four in the conference.

the holtby zemlak combo gives the blades the best one two goal tandem in the conference. the defense is young, and would benefit from the addition of another 20 back there. brandis could potentially make or break the top two line combinations.

Trav
08-31-2007, 05:06 PM
I dunno why you think the Blades won't be that good this year. While the Blades were on the west coast trip last year, there were people out there that really liked the look of the Blades and believed that they'd be a good team in the future.

Now a year later, each of the returning players are a year older and should be better then last. For you to say that they will finish last is LAUGHABLE seeing how the Blades didnt lose very much, only Brad Cole and Ryan Menei.

Goaltending should be stronger with Holtby and Zemlak back. I agree with what one of the others said about the Blades possibly having the best goaltending duo in the division, I believe they do to.

If you think Gillies is a 2nd line player on any average WHL team then u must think Sutter is an idiot for picking Gillies for the 8 game summit series and also the Wild for picking Gillies in the first round of this past year's NHL Draft.

Guys like Hulak, Brandis, Kaye and Durand along with Gillies give the Blades two pretty good lines. Add in guys like Crowley, Pattersson, Hamilton, Toomey who are young but in my opinion will give a full effort every nite. Forwards should be fine.

Probably won't see any 40 goal scorers but I'm sure you'll see a couple with 20+ goals this year, including Durand and Kaye who were solid additions to the team in my opinion.

Here's my roster prediction...

Goalies

Braden Holtby
Garrett Zemlak

Defense

Jyri Niemi - Best d-man on the ice so far.
Brett Ward
Ryan Funk
Sam Klassen - Could be gone
Teigan Zahn
Stefan Elliott
Mitch Berg
Colton MacPherson or Cameron Canert
20 yr old D-man

Forwards

Colton Gillies - Assistant
Chris Durand - Assistant
Michael Kaye
Justin McCrae - Captain
Robert Brandis
Derek Hulak
Gaelan Patterson
Dustin Cameron
Walker Wintoneak
Jordan Braid
Kirk Belyk
Kevin Philp
Travis Toomey
Curtis Hamilton
Garrett Klotz
Troy Crowley

hobster
09-02-2007, 08:55 PM
So does everyone think Colton Gillies will play the wing this year i think it would be alot better for line combos that way if so this is how i would set the lines up Hulak McCrae Gillies
Kaye Durand Brandis
Cameron Patterson Wintoneak
Klotz Hamilton Braid

Ward Niemi
Funk Zahn
Klassen Elliot

Holtby
Zemlak

I'm actually quit liking the foward group here, i think if you were a over under man for the Blades this season, bet the over with it starting at 7.5, should be good i don't think there will be a lack of goals when you attend a blade home game this season.

Triton
09-02-2007, 09:18 PM
So who is going to score goals? And don't say Gillies.

Trav
09-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if Durand leads the team in scoring. There's also Hulak, Brandis, Kaye can score as well, McCrae, Hamilton should get a few, Pattersson played well as a 16 yr old. Klotz could score a few goals this year, he's much improved and has had a great camp.

hobster
09-02-2007, 10:06 PM
What you do is you look at the player that will get the most ice time in all situations, short handed power play even strenth easy to narrow down that way. So with that said im thinking either McCrae or Gillies 1 of wich will have 80 points there point totals will be close.

zinger
09-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Quote -

" im thinking either McCrae or Gillies 1 of wich will have 80 points...." haha

thanks for the laff , :D that was a good one

Quote -

"Klotz could score a few goals this year...." :laugh:

the definition of a few is actually eight, that'd be a bit of a stretch for him.
maybe a couple, which is two, might be possible.

patsdude114
09-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Personally i think the Blades will be a good team in the division this year, i do agree with the best goaltending duo in the division....Holtby is a good goaltender and will only be better this season...

I believe Hulak will lead the Blades in scoring this season with at least 25 goals if he stays healthy (he was very hard to part with from the pats roster last season only traded to saskatoon cuz of his mothers health) as for Gillies with 80 pts i think 50 is more reachable for Gillies, as for McCrae with 80 pts i think it is possible if he also stays healthy last season he had 49pts in 61 games more will be expected of him along with getting more ice time so i think it would be possible for him......

And as for why Gillies is on Team Canada Roster for the Super Series..well Gillies might not be the most skilled player out on the ice but he competes hard and is more of a checking player to begin with and pretty well every other player on the roster are star players on there teams (for scoring) so Gillies was a great fit to play a checking role who does have a high profile has always been a top rated prospect who just plays a different role then scoring..

Trav
09-03-2007, 11:03 AM
is more then three. Say what u wanna say about Klotz, he's worked hard in camp and should surprise some people. Right now he's the most improved Blades player.

hobster
09-03-2007, 02:34 PM
8 too 13 goals isn't a far stretch for klotz this season

nivek_wahs
09-03-2007, 11:51 PM
What you do is you look at the player that will get the most ice time in all situations, short handed power play even strenth easy to narrow down that way. So with that said im thinking either McCrae or Gillies 1 of wich will have 80 points there point totals will be close.I'm not saying that they won't be at or near that point total but if you look at the league's leading scorer last year... Hamill only had 93 points and only 11 guys had 80 (or more), I think your prediction might be a little high.

hobster
09-04-2007, 12:20 AM
It's really hard to say, but i see Gillies atleast with 75 points this year but im not a huge betting man so im not gonna put money down on that one lol. Last years points totalls for Gillies werent good because he wasnt playing on the top line with McCrae, Menei, and ,Hulak this season he will, as well play top pp duties, and with good players this guy is gonna really turn it up most good whl players that come through the league show what there made of in there 18 year old season ,watch for big things from Colton.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-04-2007, 02:46 AM
It's really hard to say, but i see Gillies atleast with 75 points this year but im not a huge betting man so im not gonna put money down on that one lol. Last years points totalls for Gillies werent good because he wasnt playing on the top line with McCrae, Menei, and ,Hulak this season he will, as well play top pp duties, and with good players this guy is gonna really turn it up most good whl players that come through the league show what there made of in there 18 year old season ,watch for big things from Colton.

In all fairness, I have really, really tried to see things from your perspective. I have REALLY tried. But I cannot understand for the life of me why you think Gillies will go from barely scoring 30 points to scoring 75 points. No, sorry, I mean 75...PLUS points at the least. I think that it might even be difficult for Mcrae or Hulak, the top offensive players on the team for the next season. Mcrae will probably reach PPG levels this season though, that is if he stays healthy.

I mean come on. Its not like the blades are pegged to be a contender this season. Realistically speaking, I think they are a wild card for the playoffs this year, 8th place, or even 7th. Keep in mind, that Calgary, MJ, Regina, and maybe kootenay will be absolutely stacked, and PA, SC, and Red Deer have alot of good players coming back too.

Now, I am not ruling out the possibility that the blades pull a Kamloops and do really well while beating the odds, but lets be realistic here. Even if the blades were not a 'decent at best' team competing in an 'amazing at worst' conference this year, I dont see it happening. If you put sidney crosby on a line with gillies, Colton wont crack a 100 points. If you put Gretzky circa 85-86 on his line, he still probably wont crack 100 points.

Im not saying he is a bad player, but I do have a logical explanation here. Hear me out.

Gillies is a grinder through and through. He is fast, big, and hard working. Perfect for the job. I am aware that he has shown flashes of brilliance, yes, but Colton doesnt have the finish to go with his skill, and he doesnt have the hockey sense on top of that to consistantly put up points. Those are very important parts of being a elite scorer or an elite play maker, which is the type of player you would need to be to put up over 75 points in the WHL at 18 years old. The O, and Q point totals are very inflated, they are not the same type of league. Its harder to get points in this league.

Anyways, He should be a very good grinder in the NHL for a long time. A great 3rd/4th liner depending on how sound his defensive abilities are, and anything beyond that is a bonus. However, it is an unlikely bonus. You know, Gillies is basically the same as Levi lind, if lind was on PCP. He is a faster, more aggressive lind(levi has also shown flashes of brilliance too, but doesnt have the sense or finish to put it together either.). My prediction is that Gillies gets top line time, and PP time, etc. However, I dont think that his point totals will improve that much. 40 points is what I see him at. Maybe a bit higher, I dont see him getting 20 goals along with that either. Its merely a prediction, so I might be wrong.

and dont throw that "sutter picked him on the super series team" bit. Yeah he has uses, but he isnt going to be the top line player on that team, especially when they can roll 4 lines better than any other line in the CHL. He will be a checker. He will be useful against the other teams who are most likely 4 lines of softer skilled players. And as for the minnesota pick, same reason. They picked him to be a grinder, and he is perfect for the job.Anything more is a bonus. Look at the minnesota prospects, which are mostly skilled scorers. Throw in Gillies and their prospect pool is more well rounded.

...Look, I am not trying to be a dick like WHL Crazy, Im just stating logic here. He might peak at PPG levels eventually in the dub if he can play a power forward game, driving the net, or getting garbage goals(might need to cool it on the dirty hits though). But I dont see him as a top scorer in any league he goes into last this one, and not even this one either. 75 points is top scoring numbers, something Gillies probably wont be.

WHL Crazy
09-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Now maybe some of the Blades fans who think Gillies is such a good point producer can cool it. I can't for the life of me believe that some of them think he is a 30 goal, 75 point player in this league. Gillies is pretty much like a Levi Lind type player, you are right. Put Levi on a line with McCrae and give Levi first line PP time and you'd see the same results or close to it very likely.

Put Colton on the Warriors, Pats or Hitmen and he would be a 3rd liner.

howley
09-04-2007, 10:06 AM
well said SAJ. WHL Crazy...it was nice to see that you have the ability to read and repeat. I have to side with SAJ on this one. I see him hitting around the 40-50 point range.

hobster
09-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Everyone will be very suprised this season i compare Colton to a Joe Barnes type of player, if Joe Barnes can get [30 goals] in a season well so can Colton when your playing in every situation of the game penalty killing ,power play time, even strenth ,your gonna pile up the points if anyone thinks McCrae and Hulak are more gifted scorers than Gillies then there wrong, he will tear it up this season mark my words the only thing i agree on is that he needs to cool his hitting from behind down a touch.

WHL Crazy
09-04-2007, 11:36 AM
I think a better comparison for Colton Gillies would be to compare him with Levi Lind or even Caine Pearpoint. Big guys all around 6'3 with limited skill but always tonnes of hype. Just because Gillies went 2nd overall just like Joe Barnes doesn't mean they are the same type of player. Gillies hits harder, skates a bit better but doesn't even hold a candle to Barnes in the skill department. The Blades will be basically be a hard hitting, lunch bucket type team like the ones Lorne had in the early 90's.

hobster
09-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Ok this is just getting funny now Pearpoint and lind is like a Gillies give me a break, boy Whl Crazy you sure do live up to your name maybe your just nuts, if Gillies gets the same amount of playing time as Ryan Menei did, well he will easily equil his numbers from last year .

Shortys
09-04-2007, 01:19 PM
(Some Arrogant Jerk) But I cannot understand for the life of me why you think Gillies will go from barely scoring 30 points to scoring 75 points.

Going from season to season a point jump like that is rarely seen, but it is possible. Look at Menei last season, he went from having 14pts in 05/06 to scoring 77pts in 06/07. Sure he played twice the games in 06/07, but that is a huge jump. I am not saying that Gillies will make a jump like that, but it is possible. I predict Gillies will have a 65 pt season(over doubling last season), with 25+ goals. With him on a line with McRae and Kaye, his assists are going to soar, and will be tallying up the deflections and breakaway goals!

hobster
09-04-2007, 01:26 PM
I think the top line for the Blades should be Gillies McCrae Hualk second line of Kaye Durand Brandis ,the reason for this is because the top line will all be back next year and the second line wont, build some chemistry that way and they will even be more poitent next season.

Shortys
09-04-2007, 01:46 PM
I think the top line for the Blades should be Gillies McCrae Hualk second line of Kaye Durand Brandis ,the reason for this is because the top line will all be back next year and the second line wont, build some chemistry that way and they will even be more poitent next season.

You have a point, but I don't know if Molleken would put both our 20's on the same line, I think he will spread them out between the two top lines, giving each line an elder to hold the line together.

Scout
09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I have to say there is nothing wrong with a lunch bucket team. The Kelowna Rockets won the Memorial Cup with a lunch bucket team where their top scorer had 49 points. Lornes a heck of a coach who his players respect. I'm not saying Lorne will do with this team what Habscheid did with Kelowna but i believe Saskatoon could be a sleeper. If the players come in with the right attitude i think they could do some damage.

Scout

hobster
09-13-2007, 10:03 PM
I have to admit i had doubt about dustin cameron thats untill the last few ames he has been on all of the blades last 3 goals and has sounded very good

Tidball
09-17-2007, 09:19 AM
As much as i like Gillies. I think he will get 60 points MAX. Thats provided he finally gets 1st line ice and 1st line PP time.

Gillies would not be a 3rd liner on ANY WHL team.

McCrae couyld have a pretty good season. Im expecting him to pass the 60+ point mark.

Other then that there are alot of question marks. Hamilton will suprise people. Niemi is going to be freaking awesome. A Brad Cole type shot with a better skating ability.