PDA

View Full Version : Everett Preseason Hockey Tourney

dondo
09-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Day One ....

Some decent rookies. Looks like Portland is going to struggle again this year.

Day One --- Preseason Tourney in Everett on VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/August_31_EverettbkPreseasonbkTourneybk_137.html)

Enjoy.

dondo
09-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Day Two ... some boys couldn't resist the temptation to drop the gloves.. Giants shred Winterhawks, Spokane Chiefs keep rolling, Tips out-work disorganized T-Birds.

Everett Preseason Tourney -- Day Two (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/September_1_EverettbkPreseasonbkTourneybk_138.html )

Enjoy.

HAF
09-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Awesome recaps Don! Keep em coming!!!

dondo
09-02-2007, 12:49 AM
thanks HAF -- day three tomorrow .. Giants take on your boys first thing .. Kyle Birch looks like a keeper for sure this young'un has the moves.

Chet Pickard? meh ... :D

HAF
09-02-2007, 12:55 AM
I've said it ever since we signed Birch. Birch will be challenging for that #1 spot quicker than most are thinking. My guess is by Christmas break he will have it. Also, most have forgotten that Birch and Pickard are both 18's. Two years ago at rookie camp I actually had picked Birch over Pickard but I think he was still holding out for NCAA eligibility at that time and thats why we got Pickard. Dont get me wrong, I really like Chet but This Birch kid is the cats pajamas.

Brad1022
09-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Birch is born in 1990, menaing hes only 17 where pickard is an 89 (18). After watchin Birch in everett I must say Chet needs to watch his back.

HAF
09-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Birch is born in 1990, menaing hes only 17 where pickard is an 89 (18). After watchin Birch in everett I must say Chet needs to watch his back.

youre right, I could have sworn he was an '89. None the less, He is impressive.

dondo
09-03-2007, 02:29 AM
Chet was much better today

Day Three .. Giants were late and tied with the Americans, Spokane run over the T-birds, Chilliwack defeats the Tips playing a rookie golaie and a mostly vet line-up.

Day Three -- Preseason Tourney (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/September_2_EverettbkPreseasonbkTourneybk_139.html )

Bruins_Booster
09-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the recaps Dondo!

And if it has not been said before let me state that screaming AND THEY STILL SUCK!! after a visiting team has finished a power-play without scoring is the ultimate in poor-sportsmanship and classless as hell...

Yeah, it was fun listening to the incessant bells and the ever popular, "And they still suck!" Our retort was, "And we're still winning." One fan's reply was, "With the ref's help!" All-in-all a good time though!

HAF
09-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the recaps Dondo!

Yeah, it was fun listening to the incessant bells and the ever popular, "And they still suck!" Our retort was, "And we're still winning." One fan's reply was, "With the ref's help!" All-in-all a good time though!

It sounds like things are actually getting civilized up there in Everett!!!! They didn't throw beer on the ice and no one got shot or had a knife pulled on them.

BruinsFan19
09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Chet was much better today

Day Three .. Giants were late and tied with the Americans, Spokane run over the T-birds, Chilliwack defeats the Tips playing a rookie golaie and a mostly vet line-up.

Day Three -- Preseason Tourney (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/September_2_EverettbkPreseasonbkTourneybk_139.html )

I'm confused. Are you saying Chilliwack played mostly vets or Everett played mostly vets?

I know Chilliwack played 7 vets. I think Everett played 8.

Bruins_Booster
09-03-2007, 11:05 AM
It sounds like things are actually getting civilized up there in Everett!!!! They didn't throw beer on the ice and no one got shot or had a knife pulled on them.

Actually, other than the usual refrains, everyone around us was pretty good natured except for this one fan wearing a lime green mohawk skull cap. He kept on jawing at us the whole game and this husband and wife duo who sat behind him kept coming up to us and apologizing (not that they needed to at all! I've got thicker skin than that). When leaving there were about 5 rather large guys parked in front of the exit we took to leave the EEC. Fully expecting to be jeered, they just commented, "Good job, 'Wack! Both Canadian teams took it to us this weekend."

BruinsHockey
09-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Our top guns were out of the lineup just like Everett. The rookies definitely outnumbered the vets.

BruinsFan19
09-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I can't stand the "And they still suck". Especially when the visiting team is winning... it's just dumb. We were also yelling "And they're still winning" :D

The majority of the Everett fans are okay. There were a few in our section (the guy wearing the Millhouse jersey) who seemed to think the Silvertips entire season rested on this game. Although once the Bruins started winning it quickly changed to "Oh well this is just exhibition, it doesn't mean anything" haha

He also yelled quite a few derogatory things about Chilliwack and I highly doubt he even knows where it is. No skin off our noses though. It was fun.

Coyote14
09-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Sounds like you guys had a lot tougher time than I did. I've been to that rink 3 times and I've only heard positive and friendly things from their fans (other than the stupid chants and ref booing). I've had several people come up to me and thank me for driving down from Chilliwack to see the game when they see my jersey. I have to agree with you about the chants and cowbells though... many Tips fans just don't seem to be that hockey smart.

die_hard
09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
On the recap of the last day you mentioned that Chet Pickard was way better on sunday then he was on saturday! Except that was his brother that was on Seattle playing great hockey! That will be great next year to see Calvin Pickard come into the league for Seattle and play against his older brother Chet. Should be great

dj-kris
09-03-2007, 03:18 PM
not playing for the bruins
esposito
mc cue
Maetche
hobbs
meropolis
santorelli
bhungal
moller

vets that played
Boutilier
holden
Kulhanek
glennie
proudley
petkau
smuk

BruinsFan19
09-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Sounds like you guys had a lot tougher time than I did. I've been to that rink 3 times and I've only heard positive and friendly things from their fans (other than the stupid chants and ref booing). I've had several people come up to me and thank me for driving down from Chilliwack to see the game when they see my jersey. I have to agree with you about the chants and cowbells though... many Tips fans just don't seem to be that hockey smart.

Oh we meet the good fans too. A few came up to us yesterday to wish the Bruins luck and tell us how the Bruins are their second favorite team... haha. We give as good as we get to the "other" fans.

I think the friendliest fans so far have been in Portland and Kamloops.

dondo
09-03-2007, 08:06 PM
DH - yeah yeah Calvin -- my bad sorry folks ... Calvin had a rough game, not Chet, well Chet did too.. sorta .. but he was better than when I first saw him.

BF19 --- I was referring to the the Tips primarily because one of the biggest complaints I heard about their loss to us (Giants) on Friday was that we iced a veteran team and they had mostly rookies. We had four rookie D-men and a rookie goalie (on Friday).. so I was clarifying that the Tips did not suit up just rookies for this one, but if you talk to some of the Tips fans about the loss to Chilliwack it was all the ref's fault, anyway.

They were so hard done by, they really don't hook, clutch, trip, dive or elbow that must have been a figment of imagination in all of the other fan's eyes except those wearing green and waving cowbells. They did get one thing right though, Kirk does suck -- he wasn't reason they lost, but he calls the oddest combination of penalties sometimes.

For those of you who don't read my recaps on a regular basis they are deliberately written from a fan's point of view, with biases intact, but I usually make it clear when I feel I am being too biased in a given situation.

BruinsFan19
09-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Haha... gotcha.

The way they were complaining about the refs you'd think that game actually meant something.

Now Wednesday on the other hand... :burningma

Carebear
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM

Let's clear up Dondo's statement...they yell it after their OWN team has a powerplay!

For the record I think that I was threatened.

Again the Everett fans were doing their "and they still suck" chant..and we were yelling back "AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T SCORED!" when the Giants were up 3-0.

Some lady started yelling back about rookies vs. vets yadda yadda..and then yells "REMEMBER WHERE YOU ARE!!!"

Like...I'm not sure if she was gonna beat me up in the parking lot for being an away fan or what.

Remember folks its just a game...and if you're gonna talk smack about my team, expect to hear something back.

Bruins_Booster
09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
must have been a figment of imagination in all of the other fan's eyes except those wearing green and waving cowbells.

OK, OK, I admit it....we, uh....were <cough>......er....packing a cowbell and we were wearing black and gold....but we had hoped to use it only when the fans there didn't :D

BruinsFan19
09-03-2007, 10:25 PM
OK, OK, I admit it....we, uh....were <cough>......er....packing a cowbell and we were wearing black and gold....but we had hoped to use it only when the fans there didn't :D

Oh no.... you're becoming... one of them.....

Redwic
09-03-2007, 11:22 PM
There were a few in our section (the guy wearing the Milhouse jersey) who seemed to think the Silvertips entire season rested on this game. Although once the Bruins started winning it quickly changed to "Oh well this is just exhibition, it doesn't mean anything" haha

He also yelled quite a few derogatory things about Chilliwack and I highly doubt he even knows where it is. No skin off our noses though. It was fun.

I know who the guy is, wearing the "Milhouse" jersey. He does not represent most Silvertips fans; he is obnoxious, and rude to opposing players & fans, at every game. With that said, I have both seen & encountered similar types of "fans" in other arenas, most notably in Seattle & Vancouver.

A lot of STHs don't realize when their own fans are being obnoxious & rude, because their own sections might be fairly civilized and they don't see what's going on in the other sections unless they venture out & try sitting in other areas. Birds of a feather flock together.

die_hard
09-04-2007, 12:29 AM
No, you still have it wrong lol Calvin Pickard played pretty darn well for a 15 year old in his half of the game against Spokane and Chet Pickard on Tri City struggled a bit on Saturday against Spokane but rebounded well against Vancouver on sunday.

GF71
09-04-2007, 08:25 AM
I know who the guy is, wearing the "Milhouse" jersey. He does not represent most Silvertips fans; he is obnoxious, and rude to opposing players & fans, at every game. With that said, I have both seen & encountered similar types of "fans" in other arenas, most notably in Seattle & Vancouver.

A lot of STHs don't realize when their own fans are being obnoxious & rude, because their own sections might be fairly civilized and they don't see what's going on in the other sections unless they venture out & try sitting in other areas. Birds of a feather flock together.

There is A-Hole fans for everyteam. We have some real beauties (mainly orca fan). I have been to Everett quite a lot...you hear comments...that is no biggie and more often than not they are good natured, and that happens in every rink. I have really only had one real bad experience there, but for the most part the fans in Everett are pretty cool people.

Highlander_Yank
09-04-2007, 12:08 PM

That sounds like the guy my girlfriend and I were sitting behind all weekend (Section 118, back row, behind the bench the Tips used). It got to the point where he'd holler, "They still suck!" and I'd holler at him with, "That's still full of s**t!!" :D

Thankfully, our season tickets aren't anywhere near where that fella said he'd be at. :thumb:

Definitely a good time, though, and we got to meet a bunch of nice people, particularly from Chilliwack. To you folks in the 'Wack, I hope to take in a game in your barn sometime this season. We might or might not bring the bells, but if we do, we'll ring 'em when Espo makes a great save. :)

Highlander_Yank
09-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Actually, other than the usual refrains, everyone around us was pretty good natured except for this one fan wearing a lime green mohawk skull cap. He kept on jawing at us the whole game and this husband and wife duo who sat behind him kept coming up to us and apologizing (not that they needed to at all! I've got thicker skin than that). When leaving there were about 5 rather large guys parked in front of the exit we took to leave the EEC. Fully expecting to be jeered, they just commented, "Good job, 'Wack! Both Canadian teams took it to us this weekend."

That was me and my girlfriend (the one with the white Espo #37 Tips jersey) behind Mr. Skullcap. Obnoxious though he was, he did have plenty of info about what was happening with the team. Still, I'm glad our season tickets aren't anywhere near him.

Bruins_Booster
09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
That was me and my girlfriend (the one with the white Espo #37 Tips jersey) behind Mr. Skullcap. Obnoxious though he was, he did have plenty of info about what was happening with the team. Still, I'm glad our season tickets aren't anywhere near him.

SOOOOOO coool! It was so great to meet you two! I admire the loyalty you guys show, even to the players that have since come and gone from the 'Tips. I'll be looking for both of you in our barn and if you need tickets for the games up here, feel free to give me a shout .... or PM.....or email.

Cheers! :thumb: applause