PDA

View Full Version : Porter addresses Tri City Rumors

HAF
03-11-2005, 05:50 AM
This is from the Tri City Americans site:

Porter Addresses Rumors
March 10, 2005
To All Fans

On behalf of the entire Tri-City Americans ownership group, I want to make a public apology for the fact our fans, players and sponsors once again find themselves dealing with instability rumors posted this past weekend in many chronicles. I want the situation understood clearly.

Three weeks ago, we were days away from signing a lease extension in the Tri-Cities. I personally thought we had a few details to be worked out but it would be completed. We sent out a letter to all our season ticket holders that in fact explained this point. The City and Compass Management have been very supportive throughout the process but they needed an iron clad assurance that we would stay long term to justify spending on building improvements required to meet WHL standards. Compass was right to ask for this assurance but it forced us to re-evaluate our position.

The NHL lockout did not end as expected so my partners’ ability to withstand financial losses took a major unexpected hit. Then a few opportunities presented themselves that were unexpected in other markets. In the end, the question is can we continue to risk financial losses or not?

We are in a decision making process at the moment. I do not know today which way this will head. We hope you will still support the players and team in the playoffs regardless but I want this decision to be yours with all the information at your disposal. The problem with relying on newspaper articles for your information is that the information gets clouded and is never totally accurate. The Vancouver stories quoted our attendance at 2500 per game, which is incorrect. The media said that our least viable option is to stay in the Tri-Cities. This comment never came from our ownership group.

In short, we have to make a decision that is best for everyone by month’s end. We will attempt to treat all people fairly while we analyze our options and make our decisions. In the meantime, we continue to push for the playoffs and our players deserve your support.

Sincerely,

Darryl Porter

Rooselk
03-11-2005, 10:36 PM
While I appreciate the candor I'm afraid that doesn't look too good for the Ams future. I also think that it really sucks that the team could be moved to a city that is already rich in hockey teams.

rinkrat
03-13-2005, 02:23 PM
First they started the Wings which ousted the Buckaroos(BCHL) then the Wings moved to Spokane due to lack of fan support because they never won...Then they had the Spartans which were ousted when Tacoma moved the Rockets there.They better hope the Rockets don't start losing or they will not have any team!

Spungy
03-13-2005, 02:38 PM
i hope they can come to a decision quickly so everyone isn't stuck around guessing what is going on.

It would be sad if they move for those faithful fans.

Jovorock
03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
First they started the Wings which ousted the Buckaroos(BCHL) then the Wings moved to Spokane due to lack of fan support because they never won...Then they had the Spartans which were ousted when Tacoma moved the Rockets there.They better hope the Rockets don't start losing or they will not have any team!
Get your facts straight, the Wings moved because Kelowna voted not to build a new arena. Parker moved the team because he knew 1800 per game wouldn't pay the bills.

rinkrat
03-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Anyone with half a brain would ensure a new rink was in the works before icing a team.They never came close to selling out that barn for the Wings,the Buckaroos drew better crowds.I was there watching,painfully as they lost game after game! :thumb: