View Full Version : Young Broncos Impress

Scout
09-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Fanatically Speaking - young Broncos impress
Written by Administrator
By George Bowditch

Fanatically Speaking Opinion

I am a hockey fan.

I am a lucky fan because I get to write about, talk to and report on the heroes of the Swift Current Broncos. These are my opinions only and because I am a big hockey fan, I am going to call my opinion column "Fanatically Speaking".

You do not have to like my opinions or my views but they are mine and I welcome any comments that you may have on them. All you have to do is sign your letters. Here goes ...

I have had the chance to watch some of the training camp of this year\'s Swift Current Broncos and, there is an awful lot of talent that the coaching staff will have to assess before deciding on the final makeup of this year\'s team.

This is becoming a very good hockey club with a lot of good young talent waiting in the wings.

One player that has come to camp and appears ready to have a great season is

19-year old right winger Dale Weise. Weise has come into camp a lot more muscular than last season. If the early part of training camp is any indication, he has the look and the fire in his eyes to have a great season.

Another veteran that appears ready to continue his improvement in the Western Hockey League is 19-year-old forward Zack Smith. Smith had a breakout season of sorts last year for the Broncos and was one of the club\'s most consistent players game in and game out.

Most of the other returning players on the Broncos have also had their moments, but the early part of training camp can be a real grind as there are a lot of players in camp and it can be hard to play to a high level when you are playing with and against players that are younger and less experienced than you. The one thing that these players had better guard against is complacency as the Broncos coaching staff will not tolerate less than a 100 per cent effort and this year they have a lot of good looking rookies that are knocking on the door and want very much to be a part of the Broncos\' team.

One of the rookies that looked good is Winnipeg\'s Cody Eakin. Eakin skates at such a high level, that in my opinion, it is going to be difficult for the Broncos\' coaching staff to leave the centre off the team. He has all the tools to be a star in the Western Hockey League but of course time will tell.

Another player that has impressed the railbirds at training camp is defenceman Joel Rogers. His smooth way of playing reminds a lot of people of former Bronco star

Ian White.

Calgary native Kris Foucault looks very determined to make the Broncos. The centreman looks like he can put the puck in the net and looks to improve from his initial showing at last year\'s camp.

Another player that has really impressed me is Taylor Vause. This kid is not big but the puck follows him around and he shows a very deft touch around the net. He will, in my opinion, be in the running to at least start the season with the big club.

In my opinion he shows the same type of ability to score as Matt Tassone did when he came to camp a couple of years ago.

Speaking of Tassone, he was ill on Sunday and didn\'t play. Hopefully he recovers quickly as he is determined to have a great year for the Broncos and the Broncos need a player like him to step up. I still think he will put up some very big numbers in the Western Hockey League.

The Broncos have an awesome looking defensive corps this year but don\'t count out a player by the name of Scott Macaulay from making the club out of training camp.

The Swift Current Broncos coaching staff led by Dean Chynoweth has a pleasant but very difficult task on their hands. They have a lot of good hockey players that they have to make decisions on. They have to decide who they feel will be the best fit for their hockey club. How the rookies and the veterans perform during the exhibition season will go a long way to determining the makeup of this year\'s club. The wealth of talent also in my opinion gives them the opportunity to improve the club by way of trades if they so chose to do so.

This year the Broncos have high expectations and with the team\'s options this year, my one word of advice to the players is don\'t slack off because someone is available to take your spot.

CrazyGeorge
09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
It appears as though the Broncos coaching staff will have a tough decision regarding who's going to crack the squad on the 2007/2008 Swift Current Broncos. The only thing we are guaranteed is that Christian Magnus will be reassigned as he is a 15 year old even though he's had a strong camp thus far. I'm curious if any possible trades will be made prior to the start of the season. Only time will tell I guess.