PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season

Big Ern
09-08-2007, 07:50 PM
FINALLY!! THE FORUM IS UP AGAIN!! It's been a long wait! Thankyou to moderators and owners for getting this website up and running again. It is no doubt a much-needed resource in Swift Current, and across the Western Hockey League for fans and hockey lovers alike.

ANYWAY....

I loved last night's performance by the Broncos in Moose Jaw. Throughout the game, our defense seemed untouchable. It was not a one or two man performance either. The entire defense played great...a good sign, especially with three of the group missing at NHL camps. The goaltending was also unbelievable, as Travis Yonkman shut the door throughout the first half of the game, when Moose Jaw had it's few scoring chances. Ian Curtis allowed the lone goal in the second half. He was not pestered much, as the Warriors only got six shots while he was tending the mouth. The forwards did an amazing job too. Dale Weise scored twice, and looked phenominal! Codey Eakin and Brady Leavold also contributed with goals for Swift Current. Everyone chipped in. It must be great for the coaching staff to see a performance like this so early in the season. That being said, it's only preseason, but we're starting to see the real team now, as the main camp group decreases in size. I'm excited about the team, that's for sure!

Big Ern
09-08-2007, 07:55 PM
The Broncos came home to Swift Current overnight, instead of going straight from Moose Jaw to Brandon.

That might explain why after one period of play in Brandon, the team is down 2-0. The bus legs might be catching up, as Brandon is a six hour drive away. Hopefully, they get their legs under them for the second and third period.

That being said, AGAIN it's only pre-season.

HOLD on to your hats.....

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

P.S. I could not decide wether to go to Brandon or to go home last night in Moose Jaw. After a while I decided to go home, considering it's only exhibition season. Right now, I wish I went to Brandon instead. It's been a boring Saturday.

Big Ern
09-08-2007, 08:00 PM
It's tied 2-2 after two periods of play in Brandon!! No news yet, on who scored the goals.

Apparently, our team is rallying! WHEEEWWWWIIIEE!!!!!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Big Ern
09-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I guess my big cheer from Swift Current was not heard in Manitoba, as the Wheaties prevailed to win 4-3.

Good to see the guys rallied back from 2-0 though, and looking forward to next weekend in Kindersley, when we play the PATS!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

POST-GAME REVIEW:

Jay Fehr's shorthanded goal at the 1:37 mark of the third period snapped a 2-2 tie as the Wheat Kings went on to post a 4-3 victory before 1,022 fans at Westman Place.

Daniel Bartek, a 19-year old veteran from the Czech Republic, scored twice and set up Sanfred King's first period shorthanded goal that gave the Wheat Kings a 2-0 lead through twenty minutes of play.

Spencer McAvoy, Geordie Wudrick and Winnipegger Codey Eakin replied for the Broncos, who were playing their fifth exhibition game of the the season.

Ian Curtis went the distance in the Broncos' net, turning aside 24 shots while the Brandon tandem of Joe Caligiuri and Deven Dubyk combined to make 18 saves.

Brandon went 1-9 with the man advantage while Swift Current scored once on six chances. That goal came with just over two minutes remaining in regulation time while the Wheat Kings were two men short.

Courtesy http://www.wheatkings.com/default2.aspx

CrazyGeorge
09-09-2007, 01:45 AM
From what I've seen from the MJ game and from other comments from people on this site, would it be safe to say that the following people should make the squad (barring any trades)?

Wudrick
Bortis
Nelson
Weise
Eakin
Hoban
Smith
Tassone
Steiler

That makes for 9...I'm not sure on the play of the others really.

Leavold, Gervais, Toulmin, Dalecky, Brown, Dowling, and Foucalt

Of these 7 players, 5 will make the squad (14 forwards with 12 dressing and 2 not dressing for each game). The reason I put Leavold on this list is, yes he's an aggitator with a bit of offensive upside but as a 20 year old, he's taking undiciplined penalties and I feel that someone else from this list could be used better in my opinion. I would love to see Gervais make this team again but his skating abilitiy is something that needs some work in my opinion as does Toulmin. Yes we need the physical type in our lineup and the aggressiveness but with how ithe new WHL has been going, it seems speed is a huge benefit now. My thinking is Toulmin gets released, Brown reassigned, and we trade Leavold and/or Wilson (Rogers and Wilson play similar style of hockey and Rogers is 17 and Wilson 20). Let me know what you think, after all it's just my opinion and I'm curious what you all think.

d-man
09-09-2007, 07:24 AM
From what I've seen from the MJ game and from other comments from people on this site, would it be safe to say that the following people should make the squad (barring any trades)?

Wudrick
Bortis
Nelson
Weise
Eakin
Hoban
Smith
Tassone
Steiler

That makes for 9...I'm not sure on the play of the others really.

Leavold, Gervais, Toulmin, Dalecky, Brown, Dowling, and Foucalt

Of these 7 players, 5 will make the squad (14 forwards with 12 dressing and 2 not dressing for each game). The reason I put Leavold on this list is, yes he's an aggitator with a bit of offensive upside but as a 20 year old, he's taking undiciplined penalties and I feel that someone else from this list could be used better in my opinion. I would love to see Gervais make this team again but his skating abilitiy is something that needs some work in my opinion as does Toulmin. Yes we need the physical type in our lineup and the aggressiveness but with how ithe new WHL has been going, it seems speed is a huge benefit now. My thinking is Toulmin gets released, Brown reassigned, and we trade Leavold and/or Wilson (Rogers and Wilson play similar style of hockey and Rogers is 17 and Wilson 20). Let me know what you think, after all it's just my opinion and I'm curious what you all think.

Leavold won't go anywhere - as long as he screws his head on right and plays with some passion again he's a plus for the team. Plus daddy being a scout ensures he stays.
Gervais - should have no problem making the team. He turned in a strong performance as a 16yo and will only get better plus he still has 4 seasons to play in this league. His style will draw alot of penalties from the opposition like Hunter and Ondrus used to do.
Toulmin - good hands but too slow and as someone else mentioned in another post he never brought the physical element of his game. At best trade bait for a draft pick
Dalecky - will make the team just on the fact he came over here. Won't play as much as Steiler but will stay
Foucault deserved to stick last year and shows he wants to be here
Either Brown or Dowling will replace Hoban on your list. Hoban is only 16 and with the 17yo talent he will benefit from another year of midget.

I still see a trade happening but unlike the past where Dean gave up nothing for Weise, McAvoy and Molle and allowing the youngsters time to develop I expect a significant deal including Bortis, Wilson and maybe even Brown or Dowling for a strong 18yo forward and an overage enforcer.

Big Ern
09-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Plus daddy being a scout ensures he stays.

WHOOAAA! That is not the case at all. I totally disagree. I don't think there is anything happening behind closed doors with players' dads being scouts. Brian Leavold obviously has amazing hockey sense. He's a great scout for the club. And Brady Leavold is CERTAINLY good enough to play in the WHL, and quite frankly, compliments the Broncos' forward lineup. You need that player on every team that plays on the edge. That's what he does, and adds a goal or two here and there.

And if "his head is not screwed on properly," like you said, I have no doubt in my mind, Dean will trade or get rid of him without hesitation. Also, if a chance comes up to make the team better by trading Leavold, he'll get traded as well. Otherwise, I think he's a decent 20-yr-old to have on our team. And I do think the situation will be fine. He seems determined, and after all, it's a new beginning for everyone.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

d-man
09-09-2007, 10:33 AM
WHOOAAA! That is not the case at all. I totally disagree. I don't think there is anything happening behind closed doors with players' dads being scouts. Brian Leavold obviously has amazing hockey sense. He's a great scout for the club. And Brady Leavold is CERTAINLY good enough to play in the WHL, and quite frankly, compliments the Broncos' forward lineup. You need that player on every team that plays on the edge. That's what he does, and adds a goal or two here and there.

And if "his head is not screwed on properly," like you said, I have no doubt in my mind, Dean will trade or get rid of him without hesitation. Also, if a chance comes up to make the team better by trading Leavold, he'll get traded as well. Otherwise, I think he's a decent 20-yr-old to have on our team. And I do think the situation will be fine. He seems determined, and after all, it's a new beginning for everyone.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

My point exactly... His dad is a great scout and means a lot to the future of the club. Another reason why he won't be moved.. NOT the ONLY reason. I said he WILL make the team. I also said IF his head is screwed on right meaning if he is focused on hockey and the team and winning he is a plus. When Brady, like any player, gets distracted or self serving he hurts this team. I don't think a trade opportunity would even come up involving Brady which makes him a lock to make the team.

CrazyGeorge
09-09-2007, 10:56 AM
With only 2 more forwards to be reduced on this years squad, it makes me think that Hoban will make the team because I think Toulmin will be released or traded for a low draft pick, and Brown being reassigned to his midget team. In the end, really anything could happen. Only 1 more exhibition game then we'll find out what our team will be like. Only time will tell

dtnewbie_bronco
09-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I had no idea Leavold's dad was a scout, but I don't think Dean is the type of guy to ever let that get in the way of this buissness. I think trading Leavold is a good option, but even if he stays he will only help our team. 2006-07 WHL Season Swift Current Broncos GP 55 G14 A21 PTS 35 +/- -1 PIM 142

He led our team in fights, and penalty minutes and was 3rd in points per game. I really think he could be an assest to this team, but I would still like to see us get Colton Yellowhorn from the Americans, now thats a player, I've always wanted to see him in a Bronco uniform.

Where can I locate the teams pre season stats?

Possible players I think we could move:

Postma
Toulmin
Leavold
Bortis
Tassone

CrazyGeorge
09-09-2007, 02:56 PM
I was impressed with Tassone. I would agree with your list except for Tassone and Postma. In the end, I guess any move is possible as long as it make the team better.

Johnsy05
09-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I was impressed with Tassone. I would agree with your list except for Tassone and Postma. In the end, I guess any move is possible as long as it make the team better.

I don't think u want to trade tassone i think he is poised for a big year as an 18 yr old.

CrazyGeorge
09-09-2007, 06:12 PM
I do have Leavold playing on one of the top two lines because I do realize now how much of a difference he would make to the roster and line combinations. I still wouldn't be surprised if he was traded but only time will tell. I found quite a bit last season that Nelson played on a line with Bortis. I think Eakin has a lot of offensive skill and combined with Wudrick and even Leavold could be a dealy combination. What do you guys think? I'm sticking with Toulmin getting released and Brown reassigned with perhaps one trade...Wilson or Leavold. I just want this season to get going now eh?

Bortis Nelson Weise
Wudrick Eakin Leavold
Tassone Smith Gervais
Foucalt Steiler Hoban
Dowling Dalecky

Flathead
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM
I had no idea Leavold's dad was a scout, but I don't think Dean is the type of guy to ever let that get in the way of this buissness. I think trading Leavold is a good option, but even if he stays he will only help our team. 2006-07 WHL Season Swift Current Broncos GP 55 G14 A21 PTS 35 +/- -1 PIM 142

He led our team in fights, and penalty minutes and was 3rd in points per game. I really think he could be an assest to this team, but I would still like to see us get Colton Yellowhorn from the Americans, now thats a player, I've always wanted to see him in a Bronco uniform.

Where can I locate the teams pre season stats?

Possible players I think we could move:

Postma
Toulmin
Leavold
Bortis
Tassone
I would like to see all these guys on the roster this year, but if we were to make some trades, Toulmin, Leovold, Bortis, or Wilson may be the ones to go. Toulmin has looked very good this year in camp and is playing like he really wants to be here though. Leovold, Bortis and Wilson are all very good players that can play in this league, but if your making trades you usually have to give up something to get something. I personally hope Leovold stays here, I like his grit, and he has the tools to put up some numbers as well. Bortis and Wilson both could get you something back in return and we have to make room for a few new guys. I don't think Postma or Tassone will be going anywhere. I also really hope that Foucalt sticks with the team this year, I liked him in camp last year and he's looked good this year as well. From what I saw at camp this year, I thought Wudrick looked awesome. Dean and the coaching staff have some tough decisions ahead, but with the depth in camp, I don't really think you can make a bad one, there's a lot of talent out there this year.