PDA

View Full Version : P.A.4 Blades 3 OT

Scout
09-08-2007, 08:50 PM
P.A. 4, Blades 3 (O.T.)
Posted by Les Lazaruk on Saturday, September 8, 2007 at 12:06:00 AM.

To say the deck was stacked against the Blades at the Art Hauser Centre Friday night is being kind.

The Bridge City Bunch's first pre-season game was a chance for G.M. and head coach Lorne Molleken to get a look at almost all of his young hopefuls who are looking for a shot at being the depth in the line-up. Saskatoon's average age for the 20 players dressed was 17.1 years old. No 20-year-olds dressed and only one 19 in right winger Craig Cuthbert, who wore the "C". Only five regular veteran skaters from last season suited up. That compares with 11 for P.A. They're average age was 17.75 and they had 20-year-old defenceman John Flatters plus five 19-year-olds in the line-up.

Having said that, Molleken has to be thrilled with the effort...especially from 16-year-old rookie goaltender Matthew Krahn. Several of his 39 saves were of the sensational variety...mostly by way of covering a great deal of the bottom of the net on bang-bang centring-pass plays from behind the goal line.

Beyond that, 16-year-old Stefan Elliott may have been the best Blades' defenceman. He showed his ability to carry the puck and create space for himself on the ice with his agility and mobility. Also, 18-year-old Colton McPherson showed some intestinal fortitude by coming back and playing the body after a first period check resulted in a few stitches to repair a cut under the nose.

Up front, Kirk Belyk and Jordan Braid accounted for the goal-scoring, Belyk with two, all on the power play. They had help up front from 16-year-old Curtis Hamilton who was one of the few Bladces' players who got better as the game went along.

All in all, pretty decent for the first game. I have to miss tonight's game at C.U.C. because of a Hilltops' game. But, I expect Regina will bring a tough challenge for the young Blades! Game time is 7:05.

Dwight Schrute
09-09-2007, 09:31 PM
elliot for the blades is going to have some trouble if he doesnt bulk up or toughen up a bit. he turned over the puck almost everytime he was hit (which resulted in the O/T winner). he sure can skate well and make some nice pass's though.
hands down the best player would have to be krahn. awesome glove hand.

philip i thought seemd kinda lost out there.

mcloud or whatever who got ejected for fighting, isnt too bright. spending about 30 seconds shoving and shoving leblanc , then got worked over quickly without even landing a punch, kids got heart though. but i was really imressed with krahn. he could challenge holtby maybe even as soon as this season. but it was just one game.
nobody else really stood out for me

Trav
09-09-2007, 09:39 PM
should've walked all over the Blades seeing how they had a pretty expierenced group out there compared to the Blades only have a few veterans.

I think Krahn could beat out Zemlak for the backup spot, he had a great camp to before the game on Friday night.

Elliot will be fine. Berg needs to learn how to skate faster, to slow for the WHL, better go back to Midget.