PDA

View Full Version : MacDermott back battling for a spot

nivek_wahs
09-09-2007, 12:18 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1047

MacDermott back battling for a spot

Greg Harder, Leader-Post

Published: Friday, September 07, 2007
Matt MacDermott is back where it all began -- fighting for a job with the Regina Pats.

The 19-year-old defenceman has rejoined his original junior club after bouncing around between the WHL and B.C. junior A ranks last season. The Pats, who invited him to training camp, represent his fourth team in about a year.

"It's not really that strange (being back)," MacDermott said Thursday at the Brandt Centre. "It's a pretty comfortable situation, actually. I know a lot of the guys from my first year. I know the coaches and everything. It's a good organization to play for so I'm happy to be back."

MacDermott, a 10th-round pick in the 2003 bantam draft, was a part-timer with the Pats in 2005-06 -- recording one assist in 27 games -- before he was dealt to the Red Deer Rebels in the offseason.

MacDermott was waived by Red Deer in training camp, then picked up by the Kelowna Rockets. He played just three games in Kelowna before getting released, at which time he joined the BCHL's Alberni Valley Bulldogs.

"It was tough mentally not knowing where you're going to be," said MacDermott, who recorded three goals and nine assists in 41 BCHL games. "It was a fun year, but it's a step down (from the WHL). I got in there late. They kind of had their positions all made out so I had to fight to get up to the top spot. By the end of the year they put me in all the roles so it was pretty fun. It was good for my development because I played a lot more. I think it helped me come in more confident this year."

It remains to be seen if MacDermott's new-found confidence will translate into a full-time job with the Pats. He's a darkhorse to land a spot on a loaded blueline which includes six returnees and two highly touted rookies -- Curtis Kulchar and Alex Pym.

Still, MacDermott is eager to prove he belongs at this level.

"I could see myself being a sixth or seventh guy again," said the 6-foot, 190 pounder. "I'm not one of those guys you're going to put out on the power play. I'm more of a defensive defenceman that kind of holds the fort down. Anywhere they put me (would be fine). It could be a hard place to get on. I'm just trying to fight for a spot and see how it works out."

The competition got a little more interesting when veteran Spencer Fraipont went down in the preseason with a broken hand. However, MacDermott is now struggling with an injury of his own after he sustained a concussion in Edmonton on the weekend.

"It's not something you want to be doing during training camp," said MacDermott, who's not expected to play in either of this weekend's preseason road games -- Saturday against the Saskatoon Blades or Sunday versus the Medicine Hat Tigers. "I talked to the coaches about it. They just said, 'Take as much time off (as necessary) until you feel better.' "

The Pats are eager to see how the blueline competition shakes out -- and if it will include any surprises.

"You look at our (returning) group and people tend to make assumptions," said head coach Curtis Hunt. "We wanted (training camp to be) competitive so you have to vie for that spot. It should keep everybody sharp and working to their potential."