PDA

View Full Version : Mulder surprise youngster in mix

nivek_wahs
09-09-2007, 12:26 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=ea46f854-2aca-4d54-9a8b-92c14e86827d

Mulder surprise youngster in mix

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, September 08, 2007

Training camp wouldn't be training camp without a mixture of disappointments and pleasant surprises.

Kyle Mulder's name falls under the latter.

In just two weeks, the 16-year-old winger has gone from a fringe prospect to a legitimate threat to crack the Regina Pats' season-opening roster. Whether he survives the final cuts or not, Mulder's stock is clearly on the rise.

"It's a compliment to still be sticking around here," he said prior to Friday's practice at the Jack Hamilton Arena. "It's great to hear (you have surpassed expectations). It just goes to show you're working hard and they appreciate that you want to make the team."

Mulder took part in his first Pats training camp last year after being selected in the eighth round of the 2006 bantam draft. His game has developed by leaps and bounds since then.

"I only practised twice last year in main camp (before getting cut) so to even play some exhibition games is just great," said Mulder, who had one goal and one assist in the annual Blue & White intrasquad game. "I'm going to work hard and do my best to make the team. If I don't make it this year I'll just keep working hard and come back next year."

According to head coach Curtis Hunt, Mulder warrants a longer look.

"From a year ago, where he was, we weren't sure if he was going to be able to play (midget) AAA," said Hunt. "He just continues to get better and better. He's a big strong guy, he skates well and he seems to understand what we're tying to accomplish. He makes his young mistakes but he has certainly made us rethink where we thought guys would fit coming in. We're excited about him as either a player on our team or a prospect for the future."

Mulder has earned his place among Regina's top prospects. He's one of just five 16-year-olds to make it this far, joining forwards Brett Miller and Garrett Mitchell, defenceman Alex Pym and goalie Damien Ketlo on the team's current 32-man roster.

"Rookie camp went pretty good," said Mulder. "When main camp came along, it was good to get out with the older guys. The competition really stiffened up."

To this point, Mulder has risen to the challenge.

The 5-foot-11, 165-pounder prides himself on being strong positionally, working hard in the corners and "throwing in the odd goal here and there." Last year as a rookie with the midget AAA Winnipeg Thrashers, he showed a solid two-way game while chipping in 10 goals and 23 points in 38 games.

"When I got drafted by the Pats it really kind of gave me that boost to work hard," said the native of East St. Paul, MB. "I ended up signing with them around Christmas time. That was another great boost to work harder and try to get stronger and faster."

EXTRAS: Mulder missed the past two preseason contests with strep throat. With his return, Regina has 25 players at its disposal this weekend for road games against the Saskatoon Blades (tonight) and Medicine Hat Tigers (Sunday) ... C Kirt Hill (shoulder, day-to-day), D Spencer Fraipont (broken hand, indefinite) and D Matt MacDermott (concussion, day-to-day) will sit out ... Also missing are RW Brett Leffler (Washington), G Linden Rowat (L.A.), RW Myles Stoesz (Atlanta) and D Logan Pyett (Super Series). Pyett (Detroit) and D Nick Ross (Phoenix) are slated to leave next week for pro camps ... In Rowat's absence, Ketlo and Jeff Bosch will each start a game this weekend ... The next round of cuts is expected Monday.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007