PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ice??

Beaner
03-11-2005, 07:03 PM
from, http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050310/1040241.asp

FOCUS: FUTURE OF NHL
Hockey's blue wave

The NHL is hoping colored ice and new rules to speed up the action will woo fans lost during this season's lockout

By GENE WARNER
News Staff Reporter
3/10/2005

Note to Buffalo Sabres fans: If you plan to attend either of the Rochester Americans' upcoming games in HSBC Arena, you might want to bring a pair of sunglasses.
The reason? The ice will be painted blue.

That, of course, leads to another question. What color will the two blue lines be?

Orange.

And the center red line?

Blue.

To recap, the Amerks will skate on blue ice, with orange lines determining offsides calls and a center-ice blue line.

But the new blue hue being showcased at the downtown arena is about a lot more than the ice tint at two American Hockey League games.

It's all part of the bigger picture, part of an ongoing attempt by National Hockey League officials to breathe some new life and excitement into a league that - once it returns from its season-long lockout - will face a huge challenge in bringing back its fans.

"I think there's a feeling we want to modernize the game," Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn said. "I think there's definitely some fresh air in the league. I think people are open to innovation. I think there's a sense of a new era."

Specifically, they want to speed up the game, re-emphasize the players' skills and make the game more visually appealing to fans in the stands and on television.

League officials have stated repeatedly during the stalled labor talks that they need to fix the economics of the NHL.

That's not all that needs to be fixed.

League officials and coaches have convened several summit meetings to consider ways to open up the game - from allowing two-line passes to enlarging the nets to moving the blue lines - in an attempt to rediscover the flow and speed of the game.

Without uttering a word, Quinn provided a graphic example.

Sitting at his desk, Quinn popped in a video of the 1972 Canada Cup game, when Sabres star Gilbert Perreault took the puck from behind his net and took off on an end-to-end goal-scoring rush that lifted fans out of their seats.

That's the brand of hockey NHL officials want to recapture.

Blue ice easier on eyes

Sabres and league officials have heard from more than a few fans that they want a return to the breathless end-to-end rushes and an end to all the clutching, grabbing and neutral-zone traps that slow down the game.

The league also wants to make the game more visually pleasing, especially with the rise of HDTV. That's where the blue ice comes in.

The blue ice is being put in as an experiment, to see whether it's more visually pleasing for fans inside the arena and watching on television. The feeling is that the regular white ice - yes, it's painted white - throws off more glare and is harder on the eyes.

"I find after watching a hockey game for hours that my eyes hurt," Quinn said. "I think the glare from the white ice causes eye fatigue."

Several minor-league teams have experimented with colored ice, one team putting down pink ice for Valentine's Day, another using green for St. Patrick's Day.

But blue ice?

No, this isn't some joke being played by top Sabres officials bored by the current NHL lockout - the way a bored Sabres management drafted fictional Japanese hockey star Taro Tsujimoto in 1974.

On Wednesday, HSBC Arena workers began spraying blue paint as they put down the ice for the Amerks games on March 20 and April 3.

Sabres officials call it an "electric powder blue." Since the advent of color television, Quinn explained, media advisers often recommend blue shirts for politicians and blue backgrounds for televised events, to enhance the visual effect.

The idea came to the Sabres from league officials, in a meeting last fall with Reebok. So before arena workers took down the ice following Disney on Ice in January, Quinn had a portion of the ice painted blue, to see how it would look.

Pat Fisher, the team's youth hockey manager, was one of the guinea pigs who donned his blades and took to the ice.

"I was amazed to find that I could almost pick up the puck easier off the blue ice," Fisher said. "Off the white ice, you get somewhat of a glare. The light blue has almost like a calmer tone to it."

New uniforms possible

Quinn said the NHL is eager to see how the blue ice works. The Sabres will solicit the views of players, fans, league officials and television experts.

If the blue ice becomes the norm, Quinn could see other effects, including changing uniform colors.

"It's a different palette," he said. "You're using a blue palette instead of a white palette. It may mean a return to more colorful jerseys."

Conceivably, that could mean the end of the Sabres current black jerseys in a couple years. Quinn said many people like the team's traditional blue-and-gold jerseys, but they would have to be modernized, possibly to become the team's third jersey.

Even if the NHL resumes play next fall, Quinn stressed that no uniform change would be done in time for next year.

Quinn strongly believes that the NHL still can build a strong television package, as long as there's competitive balance for teams like the Sabres, a more crowd-pleasing game and an improved visual product.

Lost in this year's canceled season was the realization that the league's newest broadcast TV deal, with NBC, carried a zero rights fee, with the league getting revenue only after the network's production costs are met. That's a reflection of the league's anemic ratings in this country.

"Now that we've taken a year off, it's going to be that much more of a challenge to build the ratings up," said Michael Gilbert, the team's vice president for communications.

Among the many rule changes that have been floated in brainstorming sessions are enlarging the nets, reducing the size of goalie equipment, allowing two-line passes, restricting the area where the goalie can play the puck, widening the blue line to cut down on offsides and no-touch icing.

Expanding neutral zone

Hockey circles are buzzing with an even more revolutionary idea, to move each blue line closer to the goal line, creating a larger neutral zone. Under this proposal, once the puck crosses the opposing blue line, the offensive zone would stretch all the way back to the center line; so the defensive team, to clear the zone, would have to move the puck past the center line. In effect, this rule would expand both the offensive and neutral zones.

Fans attending the two Amerks games will see some changes, including shootouts to decide tie games, no-touch icing, wider blue (orange) lines, and a restricted area behind the net for the goalie to play the puck.

And, of course, those fans will see it all unfold on blue ice.

almosttyme4hockey
03-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Like changing the colour of the ice is going to make it better

I think in the olde tymes, the Nassau Coliseum ice had a hint of blue. This coming from me watching some old NHL tapes from the K5 company

Beaner
03-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I luaghed when I read that. We all know why people arent watching hockey. It's because of "eye strain" with the white ice. :spineyes:

Anyways, I dont know if anyone watches those games or actually goes to them who reads this board but it would be interesting to know how it worked it out for someone who watched it.

The_Vulk
03-12-2005, 05:39 PM
I think the ECHL uses the BLUE ice (saw a period or two on Sportsnet), with the goal crease being the WHITE ice.

Boy does it ever look HORRIBLE!

Jovorock
03-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Some people have way to much time on their hands to think of something stupid like this.

Maybe they will bring back to luminated puck also? :confused:

ScottyWazz
03-14-2005, 08:51 PM
I think the Long Beach Ice Dogs in the ECHL use a tint of blue ice at home, but I don't think it's so much where they have to change the colour of the crease or lines.

almosttyme4hockey
03-14-2005, 09:48 PM
The rinks in the Sask Valley Senior League use yellow ice in the crease

Makes sense

Sput
03-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Honestly I don't see the color of the ice being a deciding factor in someone watching hockey. It is the inability of Bettman to find the right market for the game. Someone in the southern states who has never seen ice outside of their drinks will just not understand the game.

I DO see a lot of the NHL teams changing their jersey colors and/or logos if/when they do get back to playing. They will do this to make up for the marketing losses they had from this year. It only makes economic sense.

smackitsakic
03-15-2005, 10:48 PM
I want to know what is so ridiculous about having blue ice? I'm all for it. It's not like it is going to be an intensely bold blue, it's a very light shade of blue that is noticeable, but not distracting. The problem is, we all watch WHL teams play in WHL arenas where the lighting is nowhere near as bright as the NHL arenas. Why not attempt it? The NHL is going to be a different product when it returns and this is just another step on the way.

Tinner
03-16-2005, 08:45 AM
I'll pass judgement after I get a chance to see it on TV. From my standpoint right now, it looks as if would do what they are saying, make it easier to follow the puck. Lets check it out!

Jovorock
03-16-2005, 09:49 AM
I want to know what is so ridiculous about having blue ice?
It has nothing to do with blue ice, it has to do with another dumb American idea to improve the game.

Beaner
03-16-2005, 11:55 AM
It's the lack of priorities the "experts" have with fixing the game.

People are not sitting around saying, "Well I'd watch a hockey game but the White ice creates too much eye strain, if only it was a different colour then I would watch."

I could really care less about the colour of the ice, if blue makes it a bit easier to see the puck on Tv and at games then great go for it. But it wont increase the number of people watching till they fix all the clutching grabbing hooking and interference that goes on.

Beaner
03-17-2005, 11:08 AM
from http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Strachan/2005/03/17/963953.html

Blue ice no good for HDTV

By Al Strachen

One question comes to mind in response to the revelation that the Buffalo Sabres' farm club will experiment with blue ice.

Why?

Granted, the National Hockey League needs to overhaul its product and it is laudable that the moribund mastodons who make the decisions have finally reached that conclusion.

And although Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn is being extremely vague about the point, it appears that the NHL is behind this experiment.

But any movement away from white ice is not only a slap in the face to the game's traditionalists who will form the foundation of any success the league might have when it returns, it is an admission of total ignorance of the single most important factor in the NHL's future -- television.

In the NHL's head office, where you're much more likely to hear references to litigation, counter-suits and co-defendants than to pucks, goalies or power plays, perhaps the word "high-definition" has yet to make an impact.

But it has certainly made an impact in the television world.

High-definition television is the cutting edge and it could be the reprieve the NHL has been so desperately seeking. It is the ideal technology for hockey, and it will give the game an opportunity to win back lost fans and develop new ones.

Ralph Mellanby, who spent 20 years as executive director of Hockey Night in Canada and is one of the foremost television broadcasters in the world, is one of the many TV people who shares that view.

High-definition not only provides a crystal-clear picture, it uses a rectangular screen. For hockey, Mellanby says, that's perfect.

"The picture is the same ratio as the ice surface," he said. "The wide screen brings you in. Number one, you can watch it and see the puck better because of the definition. Also, the uniforms and everything about the game will stand out.

"But you don't have to be working at cutting cameras and doing other stuff because the ratio of the screen fits the ratio of the ice. You can see long passes and also the things that you never see now --which is the play away from the puck. Therefore you don't have to contour the game.

"With the screens we had before high-definition," continued Mellanby, "that ratio was wrong for hockey. All sports will benefit from this, but hockey will be the biggest beneficiary because you'll be able to see stuff the way you see it live."

Mellanby, now lives in Atlanta, an emerging hockey market. "All Americans," he said, "say the same thing: They say, 'I go to a hockey game and I love it, but when I watch it on television, it's not the same.' That's because hockey doesn't fit television."

At that point, Mellanby, whose son Scott is an NHL player, couldn't resist a dig at the game. "Well, maybe it does fit television the way the NHL plays it -- the scrambling crap it puts on -- but in the old days, one of the things you could never capture was the majesty of those beautiful plays. With high-definition, you can."

As an Emmy winner with a worldwide reputation, Mellanby has been involved with a number of studies regarding hockey on TV. He was the first employee Ted Turner hired upon purchasing the Atlanta Thrashers, and he was heavily involved with the Fox telecasts, although he quickly points out that he opposed the orange puck.

But the concept of using pastel-colored ice has been studied often -- and in great detail.

"We tried all that stuff before," said Mellanby. "The great thing, especially in the brilliance of high-definition, is the white ice. I checked all that out. I checked this out over and over. The engineering guys who are at the top of their game say the great thing about high-definition is the white ice.

"That was one thing we were certain of was the white ice -- even without high-definition -- was the way to stay."

Hitman
03-27-2005, 11:56 AM
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the blue ice. It's really just that, if a fan has trouble seeing a black puck on white ice, what makes them think they will see it better on blue? I'm also used to white ice too...

Duct Tape
03-28-2005, 11:05 AM
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the blue ice. It's really just that, if a fan has trouble seeing a black puck on white ice, what makes them think they will see it better on blue? I'm also used to white ice too...

Its not so much fans in the stands, its the advent of HDTV. The ultra white ice creates too much contrast for many Plasma and LCD TV's to handle. They need to tint the ice a little blueish like many rinks (Long Island, Caps Centre) used to have, the "electric blue" that Buffalo tried is too far an overcompensation.

I know we in Canada grew up with things a certain way, and that too an extent, many americans will never care about hockey the way we do, but in reality, adding a little tint is really a nothing change to facilitate better TV broadcasts if done correctly.

Later

DT