PDA

View Full Version : Blades go with Holtby and Zemlak...

Trav
09-10-2007, 07:26 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=78194186-0caf-415c-9692-e57b5c2e8ee4

Both Krahn and Morrison sent home, not really surprised although I was hoping they'd let Krahn challange Zemlak more.

Canart and Sohn also sent down. Surprised they're keeping Berg over Sohn for now because Sohn has done better then Berg in my opinion.

wango tango
09-10-2007, 04:16 PM
i'm guessing the top seven d are - berg, elliott, funk, niemi, patterson, ward, and zahn. leaves klassen, macpherson, and wall fighting for the eighth and final spot, if the team carries 8 d.

i'm guessing the top thirteen f are - belyk, braid, brandis, durand, gillies, hamilton, hulak, klotz, mccrae, patterson, philp, toomey, and wintoneak. leaves cameron, cuthbert, and mcleod fighting to bump one of the top 13 out of a spot.

sending morrison and krahn back to midget makes sense. they will play a lot more and be sharper long term.

hopefully a few more vets in the lineup against moose jaw.

Trav
09-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Goaltenders (Already finalized)

Holtby
Zemlak

Forwards

Belyk
Braid - Best player on the ice on Saturday I thought
Brandis
Durand
Gillies
Hamilton
Hulak
Klotz - Regina won't get away with their cheap shots
McCrae
Patterson
Toomey
Wintoneak
Cameron
McLeod or a forward acquired

Cuthbert - A 19 yr old on the third or forth lines does not make sense.

Defensemen

Elliot
Funk
Niemi
Patterson
Ward
Zahn

Klassen, MacPherson or Wall for the 7th and 8th spots.

Berg, Other then that goal didn't do anything, to slow, was out of position a lot. Better off getting another year of midget, no need to rush him.

And I agree sending Krahn and Morrison was a smart move, Krahn looks solid. Don't agree with today's paper about Morrison looking brilliant at times against Regina, he looked shaky.

Maybe my expectations are high but I just expected to see more out of Morrison and Berg.

Douglas
09-10-2007, 06:07 PM
I agree about Berg having to go back to Midget, he doesn't show that he played 11 games last year. I don't think he will crack the line this year.

Watching the three 16 Ds, I thought Elliott was best, but has no physical presence at all. You said you liked Sohn better than Berg, again I agree, he's got great foot speed, and gets to the puck and is more physical than either Berg or Elliott. Played solid in PA, but needs to work on a few things. I expect him to be a real contender next year.

Trav
09-10-2007, 06:19 PM
should make it next year for sure, I agree.

GHOST
09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Who's expected to be the starter?

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Who's expected to be the starter?
I think that may be still undescided,but I think Holtby might have the advantage and may have already secured the starting job.

Douglas
09-11-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm thinking the roster will hold for 7 D only, with Funk and the new 20 included in that number. Berg will be used as a call up if needed, as he's local and was called up last year. From what it looks like to me, Berg will be given every chance to elevate his game. This will give Saskatoon the most flexiblity while saving face, and allow them to continue options with thier prefered development of younger players. Then if they need the 8th man later they'll pull him in then, after watching thier prospects play in thier respective teams.