PDA

View Full Version : 2 games, 11 goals...Huh?

Tipped Off
03-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Ok, who are these guys and what have they done with the Silvertips? Whatever it is, If it's a dream, don't wake me. First the boys travel to Spokane on Wednesday and put a thumping on the Chiefs 6-2, now they return home and begin the weekend by pounding the T-birds and Bridges 5-1.

Some interesting stats came out of this game. The tips are 5-0-1 in their last 6 home games. They are 4-0 this season at the EEC aginst the T-birds...outscoring them 14-3.

The goal tonight by Wheat with the feed from Leavitt on the 2 on 0 break was the sweatest thing I've seen yet at the EEC. The double deek by Leavitt and the leave for Wheat to score on the wide open net was very, very beautiful.

And let's not forget Zack Sim. Here's a kid who has played D his whole life so far, only to be used exclusively at forward by the Tips this season. He's scored in both of the last two games.

From silvertips.com:
Everett, WA - The Everett Silvertips earned a commanding 5-1 victory over the Seattle Thunderbirds in tonight's game at the Everett Events Center in front of a sold out crowd of 8,424. This was game 8 of 10 and the Silvertips now lead the series 4-3-1. On home ice against the Thunderbirds, Everett is 4-0. With the win Everett lifts their record to 31-25-8-2 and they now have 72 points, still holding onto 2nd place in the US Division. Seattle drops their record to 41-22-2-2 and stay unchanged at 86 points.

The first period was all about Everett. Brady Calla popped the first goal in at 6:58 with assists coming from Jonathan Harty and Michael Wuchterl. Zach Sim took advantage of the momentum and added another tally three and a half minutes later. Zach Hamill and Cody Thoring earned the assists on Everett's second goal.

Early in the second period Kyle Annesley extended the Silvertips' lead to 3-0 when he scored on a power play at 1:39. Curtis Billsten and Alex Leavitt earned the assists. Seattle's one and only goal came at 7:23 when Tyler Metcalfe beat Leland Irving and put a bouncing puck in the net. Nate Thompson had Seattle's only assist. Not letting the goal get to them, Everett responded when Torrie Wheat added to the team's tally at 15:37. He would go on to score again midway through the third period on a power play to round out the final 5-1 score. Alex Leavitt tallied another assist on one of Wheat's goals and Mitch Love and Shaun Heshka also added one a piece.

In net for the Silvertips was Leland Irving. Irving played well and made 31 saves on 32 shots. His record improves to 9-7-1. Bryan Bridges, in goal for Seattle, struggled and only stopped 23 of 28 shots. On the power play Everett converted on 2 of 4 chances while Seattle went scoreless on 2 opportunities. Despite losing the game, Seattle out shot Everett by a margin of 32-28.

In other news Torrie Wheat earned his 25th goal and tied the franchise record for most goals scored in a season. John Dahl was the first to set that record in Everett's inaugural season in 2003-04. Also Mitch Love in nearing his 100 point mark in his WHL career. After tonight's game he currently has 99 points, 33 goals and 66 assists.

The Silvertips are back in action for two big games against the Portland Winterhawks this weekend. The first is on Saturday, March 12th, at the Everett Events Center. The game starts at 7:05pm. The second is the following night, March 13th, at the Rose Garden in Portland Oregon. That puck drops at 5pm. The Silvertips and the Winterhawks are battling for second place and home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Currently Everett has a two point lead over Portland.

Silvertips Box Scores

Torrie Wheat (24,25) 2 G
Brady Calla (11) 1 G
Zach Sim (3) 1 G
Kyle Annesley (10) 1 G
Alex Leavitt 2 A
Jonathan Harty 1 A
Michael Wuchterl 1 A
Zach Hamill 1 A
Cody Thoring 1 A
Curtis Billsten 1 A
Mitch Love (99 points) 1 A
Shaun Heshka 1 A
Leland Irving (9-7-1): 31 saves on 32 shots
Power Play: Everett 2 for 4, Seattle 0 for 2
Shots on Goal: Everett 28, Seattle 32
Attendance: 8,424

3 Stars of the Game

1. Leland Irving (EVT)
2. Torrie Wheat (EVT)
3. Alex Leavitt (EVT)

Great night for the Tips.

GoTips
03-12-2005, 12:11 AM
The offense is really clicking. These poundings are so fun. :clap:

Wheat tied John Dahls goals record from last year, with his two goals tonight.

Surprised that they didn't pull Bridges. They will need him for the playoffs.

Personally, I hope that either Spokane/Tri-Cities pulls an upset in the 1st round. :p

6-2
5-1
In division games.

Portland loses 3-1. Puts us in 2nd.

I like the direction we are heading. Lets just keep on rolling. :thumb:

ihlemic10
03-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Great game. One thing that flustered me about the game was the Seattle fan behind me. She was cheering on the Birds all night I have no problems with that, I did it in Sea. She thought a Tip took a cheapshot on a Bird and I said "He deserved it." and she says "Wanna go F***face?! Thats what I thought!" Even though I may be at fault, that was childish if you ask me.

Sorry about that rant.

The 2-0 breakaway goal was the most beautifiul thing I have ever seen. I was on the end it happened and I was shocked at how easy they made it look.

Tipped Off
03-12-2005, 12:55 AM
[QUOTE=ihlemic10]One thing that flustered me about the game was the Seattle fan behind me. She was cheering on the Birds all night I have no problems with that, I did it in Sea. She thought a Tip took a cheapshot on a Bird and I said "He deserved it." and she says "Wanna go F***face?! Thats what I thought!" Even though I may be at fault, that was childish if you ask me. QUOTE]

The funny thing is...it is a hockey GAME. I'm all for cheering your team and getting into it, but there is absolutely nothing you could ever say to me about the Tips that would make me want to "go." Say something about my kids, wife, mom...that's a different story...even then you would have to be beligerently in my face....but they are a bunch of 16-20 year olds playing hockey. Relax a little and have fun.

I think that is one of the biggest differences between a Tips fan and a Birds fan...we can have fun and respect people whether we win or lose. All though I've met some great Birds fans, I run into the type you encountered tonite way too often. Maybe it's just bad luck on my seating choices. I certainly don't want to group ALL T-birds fans into that group.

rinkrat
03-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Unfortunately,I couldn't get the internet feed to function. :confused:
I have been to the EEC twice,in full Giants gear cheering my face off( pun intended).Never had any problems,people were shouting me down,but nothing close to an altercation.Just great hockey atmosphere.You guys should take pride in the behavior of your fans! I think I'm becoming a closet Tips fan... :thumb:

Beaner
03-12-2005, 10:48 AM
I think I'm becoming a closet Tips fan... :thumb:

Must be something in the water doing that too ya Rinkrat. :laugh:

Congrats on all the goals, but, save a few for the playoffs guys.

rinkrat
03-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Ya,it must be the water,I better get back to my beer diet!! :D

Beaner
03-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Ya,it must be the water,I better get back to my beer diet!! :D

Yes, sounds like you have a dangerous case of Silvertipinitis.

Symptoms include, wearing of Green and white, and a strange urge to grab a cowbell and ring it constantly.

Doctors recommend the drinking of 6 CANADIAN Beer per day until the sypmtoms pass.

:laugh: