PDA

View Full Version : Cole Penner

FELIX17
09-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Has anyone heard anything more regarding Cole Penner? Was he playing tonight? What's the latest you guys have heard?

Drop em' eh
09-13-2007, 11:00 PM
i did'nt hear his name in the game, but another post said he was playing in Loyd tomorrow

Dwight Schrute
09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
i heard the news on the radio at lunch and it said he is still at home and contemplating his hockey future. not too smart on his part since he signed and cannot play ncaa. also said clark wont release or reassign him till penner makes a choice.
strange situation

WHL Crazy
09-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Cole Penner peaked at age 14 and hasn't progressed the way people thought he may have. THis situation happens all the time and happened to Ryan kerr who the Cougars took 1st overall and it was also a situation where he peaked at age 14 just before the bantam draft. Penner would be best to play in the Midget AAA Alberta league for one more year on a stacked MH team with Ryan Aasman this season. Next year he would be best suited to play in the AJHL and have a solid Junior B career.

FELIX17
09-14-2007, 01:05 PM
i heard the news on the radio at lunch and it said he is still at home and contemplating his hockey future. not too smart on his part since he signed and cannot play ncaa. also said clark wont release or reassign him till penner makes a choice.
strange situation

What a soap opera! So now this kid is dictating if he wants to play or not? It should be the other way around that he should be honoured to play in this league as a 16 year old. The Raiders scouting staff needs to give their head a shake...a 4th overall pick should give you a blue-chip prospect. On a positive note, Mike Small was a 12th round pick if that is any consolation...

Triton
09-14-2007, 01:05 PM
strange situation

May have screwed PA out of something. This kid is becoming a headcase. Conteplating his hockey future? He's quitting already?

There must be something off ice he's dealing with cause I thought he was excited to play here. This is rather unfortunate for both parties.

Five Hole
09-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Cole Penner peaked at age 14 and hasn't progressed the way people thought he may have. THis situation happens all the time .

Why did " # 18 " and " Blades " just pop into my mind :D

Five Hole
09-14-2007, 01:15 PM
May have screwed PA out of something. This kid is becoming a headcase. Conteplating his hockey future? He's quitting already?

There must be something off ice he's dealing with cause I thought he was excited to play here. This is rather unfortunate for both parties.

Could it be Ma and Pa don't like the way things are progressing? Sure wouldn't be the first time that ever happened...you're right most kids would be all over the chance to stick as a 16 year old, like a fat kid on a smartie

WHL Crazy
09-14-2007, 01:20 PM
I've heard Cole Penner was homesick. You have to remember he is only 16 yrs old and has never been away from home before so that is a huge adjustment for some kids. Some people are very close to their families and maybe Penner is one of those type of kids. I'm sure the Raiders don't want to trade this player but if they can get some help in goal or some more scoring this team could go far and Penner could be the type of player a team in Alberta may want to take a chance on perhaps.

As for Gillies peaking! Don't forget he was only 17 last year on a team that didn't even have a 19 yr old player on the roster and also having its top player be Ryan Menei! I think 13-17-30 and 148 pims is pretty good for a 17 yr old player. Also he has represented Canada on numerous occasions wearing a letter several times as well and is a NHL first rounder. You have to remember that Penner wasn't even short listed for Team Alberta for the Under 17's coming up!

Five Hole
09-14-2007, 01:46 PM
I've heard Cole Penner was homesick. You have to remember he is only 16 yrs old and has never been away from home before so that is a huge adjustment for some kids. Some people are very close to their families and maybe Penner is one of those type of kids.

Well, that is a huge factor for most 16 year olds, no doubt... few of us are ever in that situation, so I guess it's easy to downplay it... can't automatically assume he's being a prima donna or his parents are the second coming of Mr and Mrs Lindros... might be the best to get a ton of ice and more confidence in AAA

......as for Gillies, hey, I hope he breaks out this year... as long as he still does zip against the Raiders :D ...

WHL Crazy
09-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't think Gillies will ever be a "Break out" player that puts up huge numbers but I think 30 goals and 75 points and hard hitting, good leadership is well within his range and attributes. The Blades top scorer and player all around though is Justin McCrae at Center. Colton Gillies is playing Left Wing this year on that line so I think they'll do well together and Colton will have more PP time and a chance to increase his point totals with a better supporting cast this year.

hobster
09-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Pnner should realize that money and hockey come first familly is number 2 haha just kidding

grainbear
09-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Very obvious , that you have not watched him develop the last year. He will be in the top 4 d-men in Lethbridge this year and is certainly going to make an individual who comment on him peaking at 14 eat crow.

WHL Crazy
09-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I prefer to eat Wild Duck or Canada Goose...I let you have the Crow

Dwight Schrute
09-14-2007, 08:30 PM
im predicting Gilles to get 70 points.
i am guessing 46 points with 1st line pp time....and about 14 check from behind penalties

Drop em' eh
09-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Penner was listed on the game sheet for the Brooks Bandits roster in their game last night vs. Loydminster, he went zero for stats.

Clark stated on the radio last night that Penner has basicly decided he would be better off this year playing Jr. A, and that the Raiders are hoping to reverse his decision.

WorkHorse
09-15-2007, 08:58 AM
You have to remember that Penner wasn't even short listed for Team Alberta for the Under 17's coming up!

Cole Penner was probably not short listed for the Under 17's coming up because he played as an underage with Team Alberta Under 17's at the Canada Winter Games! Once you move ahead a group they don't generally put you back. Tavarres was not at the Canada Winter Games for the same reason.

WHL Rules
09-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Cole Penner was probably not short listed for the Under 17's coming up because he played as an underage with Team Alberta Under 17's at the Canada Winter Games! Once you move ahead a group they don't generally put you back. Tavarres was not at the Canada Winter Games for the same reason.

Nope. Penner was at the U17 Provincial Camp this summer but he didn't make the Top 25 short list.

zinger
09-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Penner had a goal and two assists tonight

FELIX17
09-16-2007, 12:48 AM
From Greg Drinnans's Blog:

LW Cole Penner, the fourth overall pick in the 2006 bantam draft, left the Prince Albert Raiders this week and has joined the AJHL’s Brook Bandits, for whom he played Friday night. Penner is from Medicine Hat. His training camp with the Raiders got off to a tough start when he discovered he was allergic to cats -- his billet had a cat -- and he ended up in sickbay. The decision to leave Prince Albert was his and the door apparently has been left open to his return. . . .

Triton
09-16-2007, 02:06 AM
The kid wants to play here eventually but he is seriously homesick more than anything.

He'll come when he's comfortable.

Drop em' eh
09-16-2007, 07:45 AM
I don't understand his reasoning. Even if he's homesick he'd still be billeting in Brooks and even though its closer to home by a few hours, he's still billeting. I''m sure he would have got his fair share of ice time in PA, but whatever the case I hope he has a good year and develops and plays for us for the next couple of years.

Arthur Fonzerelli
09-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Sometimes first round picks have dificulty adjusting. After being stars in their divisions for years, when they have to make the jump up they are suddenly fourth liners or black aces. Cole Penner has all the tools and playing time in the AJ, where he can mature and build his skills isn't a bad thing. nhl3

Dwight Schrute
09-16-2007, 06:35 PM
hopefully he doesnt decide to stay there for good though
why would he. he is ineligable to play in the ncaa now. which is the goal of tier 2 players. maybe we could trade him to med hat, and rake em over the coals for him. personally i'd like to see him play a few games before i write him off

AlanC
09-17-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't understand his reasoning. Even if he's homesick he'd still be billeting in Brooks and even though its closer to home by a few hours, he's still billeting.

Brooks is only an hour from Medicine Hat. Prince Albert is what, seven hours? Quite a lot closer and if the kid is homesick he will definitely be able to go home for a bit here and there and/or see his family a lot more living in Brooks.

As much as WHL fans would love to see a talent like this in the WHL this year, it is often best for these kids to spend another year at home. Just because a kid of a phenomenally talented hockey player at 16 doesn't mean he is a phenomenally mature person too. Some kids are mature enough to move away from home at 16 and some are not, and it shouldn't be held against the ones who aren't. Better this way than to see the kid try to tough it out when he isn't ready, and maybe end up with off-ice problems for years because he didn't have the support around him that he needed when he was 16.

He'll be OK. He can still play a few games this year for the Raiders here and there - or maybe he'll even be ready to join them full-time by midseason, who knows.

Sabes
09-17-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.raiderhockey.com/newsrelease_penner.htm

Dwight Schrute
09-17-2007, 06:03 PM
well look like its too bad for us. and now there is more ice for guys who want to play here

Zookeeper
09-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Maybe this is why he looks very slow in preseason and like he did not want to be here. The game I seen him play, he looked terrible, all he was doing was drifting around the ice, made the odd check and than drifted somemore. He had no desire to back check or forecheck fot that matter. One more year to mature should help out in the long run for both parties, lets just hope he returns next year.

Dwight Schrute
09-18-2007, 12:54 AM
he also has to keep in mind that this could still hurt his draft status for next year. questions about charachter and desire are a kiss of death. he can bet this will be brought up repeatedly for the next couple seasons

westbeach55
09-18-2007, 09:14 AM
quick question does anyone know can you can your ncaa elegability back? Heard some things around that clark might be trying to get Cyr out of pg. what you think it would take to get him.

Dwight Schrute
09-18-2007, 01:26 PM
quick question does anyone know can you can your ncaa elegability back? Heard some things around that clark might be trying to get Cyr out of pg. what you think it would take to get him.from what im told you lose your scholarship eligibility by dressing for a pre season game (or as a emergency back up etc...) then you could still go should you pay your way. but by signing a contract ( eg, like the whl player one penner signed with the raiders) penner is deemed ineligible.