PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Split Road Games

Scout
09-14-2007, 11:04 PM
The Swift Current Broncos split a pair of pre-season road games over the weekend with a 4-1 win over Moose Jaw and a 4-3 loss to Brandon.

Saturday evening the Broncos had their three game pre-season winning streak snapped in Brandon in a 4-3 loss.

The Broncos fell behind 2-0 in the first period but responded in the middle frame with goals from 19-year-old defenseman Spencer McAvoy and 17-year-old forward Geordie Wudrick who scored just over four minutes apart.

Jay Fehr regained lead for the Wheat Kings 1:37 into the third period and Daniel Bartek stretched the lead to 4-2 with 8:45 remaining in regulation.

Broncos 16-year-old rookie Cody Eakin closed the deficit to 4-3 with 2:13 remaining in the game and the Broncos pulled goaltender Ian Curtis with 50 seconds remaining but were unable to complete the comeback.

Curtis, the Broncos 17-year-old rookie netminder, stopped 24 of 28 shots in 59:10 of work for the Broncos.

The Broncos connected for one powerplay goal in six opportunities while the Wheaties also scored one goal on the man-advantage in nine chances.

Friday night the Broncos won their third consecutive game with a 4-1 victory over the Warriors in Moose Jaw.

The Broncos earned a 2-0 lead with a pair of powerplay goals 1:03 apart from Dale Weise and Brady Leavold.

Cody Eakin scored early in the second period to give the Broncos a 3-0 advantage.

Dale Weise scored his second goal in his first pre-season game 23 seconds into the third period to stake the Broncos to a commanding 4-0 lead.

Midway through the final frame Brad Riege beat Ian Curtis to make it a 4-1 final.

Travis Yonkman and Curtis shared the win in goal with Yonkman stopping all 16 shots he faced and Curtis stopping six of seven Warriors' shots.

Broncos Head Coach/General Manager Dean Chynoweth had mixed emotions concerning his team's two games over the weekend in Moose Jaw and Brandon.

"I thought that Friday night was the better of the two efforts. I thought that we continued to play the way we had in the Edmonton tourney with a lot of energy and everyone competed hard on the puck and we had good team speed.

The next night I thought that it was the complete opposite. I thought that we were a little banged up from the night before, but more so I thought that we were mentally tired and that is going to be a real challenge with our group especially with the adversity we face early on. As far as I was concerned it was unacceptable!"

The weekend split pushes the Broncos' pre-season record to 3-2.

The Broncos will play their sixth and final pre-season game against the Regina Pats on Friday night in Kindersley.

action in the pre-season.

The Broncos will open the regular season one week later when they head to Moose Jaw to face the Warriors on Sept. 21st.

The Broncos home opener will be on Oct. 12th when the club takes on the Edmonton Oil Kings. Individual tickets for all Broncos home games go on sale September 17th by calling the Broncos office at 773-1509. Ticket prices are $16.00 for adults, $8.00 for students and $6.00 for children.

Broncos season ticket packages are also still available. Fans can stop by or call the Broncos ticket office for more information on pricing and seat availability.