PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the 2 Euros?

dsquared
09-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Pretty hard to pick any of them when the total point production of all three is 0......

nivek_wahs
09-15-2007, 07:59 PM
I added a poll for this.... Who will NOT be an Import once the regular season begins?

To be honest it's a pretty hard choice.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Insam is probably gone, seeing as he is similar to a canadian player, and we are looking for a european style of play to add to the mix. He also is the least offensive of the three, and the pats are in need of offence, not grit.

Salty might go because of being a 2 headed monster(OA,Euro), but I dont see why if he can get the job done. Cervany is apparently still learning, and might fetch a higher price if we decide to ship an import + a defenceman to tri city for Vey(not felde)

nivek_wahs
09-19-2007, 03:08 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1065

Insam odd man out in import battle

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Regina Pats had no choice but to get into the import/export business on Tuesday.

Faced with a deadline of Friday to meet the two-man European quota, the WHL club settled its dilemma by handing Italian right-winger Marco Insam his walking papers. The Pats will start the season with veteran right-winger Kaspars Saulietis, 20, of Latvia and rookie left-winger Rudolf Cerveny, 18, of the Czech Republic as their imports.

"It just came down to having to make a decision," said Pats GM Brent Parker. "They're all such different players. We still think Kaspars has some real offensive upside for us. He hasn't done it through the preseason -- I think he's pressing a little bit -- but we all believe he has that in him. Rudolf is getting better and better every day. I think he's going to be able to contribute offensively down the road. Those two guys skate a little bit better than Marco and that was a big deciding factor."

Insam, who spent the past two seasons at Athol Murray College of Notre Dame, was selected by Regina in the second round (71st overall) of this summer's CHL import draft. The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder is considered more of a North American-style player. He's expected to land somewhere in the United States Hockey League (junior A) or the pro ranks in his native Italy.

Cerveny, a 6-foot-0, 180-pounder, was selected in the first round (37th overall) of the 2007 import draft. Still a work in progress, he nursed an ankle injury through training camp and is just now beginning to show his wares.

"He stuck his nose in against Swift and was banged around and gave as good as he got, which is encouraging," said Parker, referring to Friday's preseason game against the Swift Current Broncos. "Like a lot of Europeans, they take some time to adjust, but he's very coachable and wants to learn. He has fit in well. I don't think that will be a problem as he gets a better grasp of the language."

Cerveny's role with the Pats will be determined by the rate of his development.

"He's going to watch some games from upstairs (as a healthy scratch) and I don't think that'll hurt him either," added Parker. "You can give him assignments to watch certain guys, watch certain things. It's like a 2 1/2-hour video session. He's definitely a work in progress but I think he's worth working with. There's definitely some ability there."

- - -

The Pats have also re-assigned Dru Cotterill to Spruce Grove, Alta., where he'll play either midget AAA or junior A. The 17-year-old, who can play forward or defence, was selected in the fourth round of the 2005 WHL bantam draft.

"I think for him he has to be a forward," Parker said of the 6-foot-2, 195-pounder. "He has to be an energy guy who crashes and bangs and gets involved physically. He's not out of the mix (for next season). A lot of guys come into this league at 18 and can produce. You never know, things may change and you end up bringing him back (this year) depending on player moves through the course of the year. We need him to go back and play and handle the puck and be physical and do the things he has to do to play at this level."

Defenceman Logan Pyett was slated to make his NHL debut on Tuesday night when the Detroit Red Wings opened the preseason against the Minnesota Wild. The Pats are expecting to get Pyett back as early as today.

There's no timetable for the return of defenceman Nick Ross, who remains in camp with the Phoenix Coyotes. The Pats hope he'll be back by the weekend, since they open the regular season on Friday in Prince Albert.

"We understand they have assessments to do on these kids," said Parker. "He's a first-round pick (30th overall) and they want to make sure they give him ample time. We understand that and respect it but selfishly we want all our guys back."

NOTES: The Pats may make at least one more cut before the end of the week, likely a defenceman. That would give them 24 players, including Pyett and Ross. Right-winger Myles Stoesz signed with Atlanta and may not return ... The Pats have reached the 3,000 mark in season-ticket sales for the first time since their Memorial Cup season of 2000-01.