PDA

View Full Version : Former Bronco and Single Season PIM Record Holder Mitch Love

Flathead
09-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Home > Sports > Avalanche

del.icio.usDiggRedditYahooMyWebGoogleWhat's this?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Print Email Shareavalanche notes
Veterans brawl with Love
By Mike Chambers
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 09/15/2007 10:50:34 PM MDT

The Avalanche's Ryan Smyth, left, picks a fight with teammate Mitch Love on Saturday. (AP / Steve Dykes)There was no Mitch Love lost Saturday at Day 2 of Avalanche training camp.

Love, a young defenseman unlikely to make the team, interrupted a scrimmage by fighting prized offseason acquisition Ryan Smyth. Ten minutes later, Love dropped the gloves with veteran NHL tough guy Ian Laperriere.

Choosing to fight Smyth, who is playing on the top line with Joe Sakic and Andrew Brunette, appeared inexcusable, like a Broncos defensive lineman trying to beat up quarterback Jay Cutler. It also appeared that Laperriere's fight with Love was meant to send a message that you don't mess with high-salary, skilled forwards like Smyth.

Afterward, the players presented a different picture. Turns out that Smyth, who signed a five-year, $31.25 million contract in July, picked the fight with Love, and Laperriere only fought Love to remind Smyth that he will be handling his dirty work.

"I respect Mitch; he didn't have a choice," Laperriere said. "Smitty went right after him, I think from a hit earlier in the game. Mitch did what he had to do. He didn't punch much. He (threw) him down.

"But Smitty is our top player, just like Joe, and we got to show him that he doesn't need to do that. If he wants to do that, and I can score 40 goals a year, I'll be happy to trade him. But that's not going to happen."

Smyth, 31, said he went after Love, 23, out of frustration during his Black team's 8-2 loss to the Gray. Smyth was pointless in the 90-minute scrimmage.

"It's not my forte," Smyth said of fighting, "but things weren't going very well. It was probably my third fight ever. I'm not a fighter. Some people show that they care that way, others do it because they have to."

Coach Joel Quenneville said that wasn't the first time he's witnessed a perennial all-star fight an unproven youngster early in training camp.

Smyth's sticks

Smyth might have the most unconventional sticks in the NHL. Most players use composite, one-piece sticks with moderate-to-heavy blade curves for puck control and shooting whip. For Smyth, it's a composite shaft with a fat, wooden blade that has no curve.

"I'm not recognized as a shooter; my work is in front of the net, so thick blades with no curve work for me," he said.

The weirdest thing about Smyth's stick is the handle. For top-hand grip, most players apply a quarter-inch of tape at the end of the shaft.

Smyth's top-hand grip features what amounts to a roll of tape, similar to what goalies use to prevent the stick from slipping out of their hand.

Footnotes

Wingers Eric Healey and Marek Svatos had two goals apiece for the Gray team. Defenseman Nigel Williams, 19, the youngest player in camp, had a goal for the Black. ... Littleton native and University of Denver product J.D. Corbin had an assist while centering a line with Wyatt Smith and Scott Parker. Corbin is on an amateur-tryout contract.

Staff writer Mike Chambers can be reached at 303-954-1357 or mchambers@denverpost.com.