PDA

View Full Version : Well the Tips fall to Portland 2-0..

GoTips
03-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Sadly, tonight game didn't turn out as well as the last 2 games. Sounded from the radio as if the whole game was played in the Tips zone. Did Calla miss an open net? Any thoughts over all about the game from anyone that made it to the game? Lets hope tommorrow is a better game.

IceMan
03-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Nothing like playoff hockey, eh? I love a 1-0 game (yeah, I know it was 2-0, but for all intents and purposes, once that first one went in, it was over). Give me a defensive, physical, edge of your seat 0-0 tie with 6 to go in the third any day over a 7-6 game.

Anyway, I know a lot of people are pissed off about losing this one, but for me, it was an encouraging loss. Why?

Portland, coming off a real stinker last night, definitely brought their "A" game to the house tonight. 2:1 shots advantage, bigtime territory advantage, and aside from the first period, they out hit us for most of the game.

We, coming off an "A+" effort last night, had maybe our C+/B- game tonight. Undisciplined in the D-Zone, shaky, shaky breakouts, too many blind passes, and one UGLY power play. We didn't deserve the win tonight.

That said, we probably should have won the game. I counted at least 3 open net opportunities tonight, and one post. If any one of those shots gets in, it's 1-0 us ... game over. 9 Power Plays tonight. Definitely had our chances to score, but a C+ effort isn't going to get it done against a hungry team.

I'm left thinking to myself ... yes we got severely worked over tonight, but still had chances to put that game away, and even as ugly as we played, it was still 0-0 with 6 minutes to go.

If that's Portlands "A" game, and I suspect it was, we take the first round 4-1 ... assuming we can get our A game out there at least twice in the first 3 games. Even if that's not the case, our B game takes their A game out in 7, and I'm sure that even the youngsters can muster up 7 B games in a row.

We'll have a better indication of whether or not I'm on the right track after tomorrow's game.

Rooselk
03-13-2005, 01:29 AM
I was at the game tonight. I'm not sure that I was too encouraged by what I saw. But you're probably right: that was Portland's A Game. It was especially frustating to see Portland handle the Tips even at a 5 - 3 disadvantage. But tomorrow is another day. It will be interesting to see how the team does when it plays in Portland tomorrow night.