PDA

View Full Version : Captain DePape

Dwight Schrute
09-19-2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.raiderhockey.com/newsrelease_Captain.htm

good choice

WestLEAFfan
09-19-2007, 02:12 PM
I agree! I think the boys will have no trouble finding a good role model with him as captain. Good job Raiders!

Dwight Schrute
09-19-2007, 02:19 PM
he worked his way up. earned a spot in the line up, fought, etc... whatever he had to do. and when he got the chance he produced. always works hard, never takes a shift off, and sticks up for his teammates.
gauthier must be getting an "a" but who else ?

FELIX17
09-19-2007, 04:11 PM
He is one of those character players who will give you his all. Excellent choice!

nivek_wahs
09-20-2007, 09:21 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=64008&sc=5

Raiders choose DePape as captain

BRIGETTE JOBIN
Herald Staff

The foremost task on Ryan DePape's to-do list as the Prince Albert Raiders' new captain is to bank some wins.

"I'm looking forward to leading the team to a successful season," the 19-year-old said Wednesday after he was appointed team captain.

A Winnipeg product, DePape is entering his fourth season with the Raiders. He was the team's first-round selection, fourth overall, in the 2003 WHL bantam draft. He netted just 14 points in his first season and followed with 17 points as a WHL sophomore.

Last year, however, the right-winger stepped up big, finishing with 25 goals and 31 assists for 56 points. Serving as an assistant captain, DePape was the second in team scoring.

Moving into the shoes that Mike Hellyer filled last year, DePape said the captaincy is a role he wanted.

"I'm excited about it," he said. "It's an honour and a privilege. It's a bit of a bigger role that comes with more responsibility."

Head coach Bruno Campese says there were several strong candidates who could have served as captain.

"At the end of the day we felt Ryan possesses the characteristics we're looking for in a captain," said Campese. "We feel he'll represent the team very well, both on and off the ice."

The decision to appoint DePape captain was a group effort of the club's coaching staff and management. The coaches need someone who will command the respect of the rest of the team, said general manager Donn Clark.

"Ryan does the right things day after day," said Clark.

DePape's assistant captains will be announced before Friday's home opener. While three players can wear the "A" in a game, an option for Campese is selecting more than three assistants and rotating them.

WHL regular-season play starts Friday when the Raiders host the Regina Pats. Game time is 7:30 p.m. at the Art Hauser Centre.

bjobin@paherald.sk.ca