View Full Version : Bosch wins job as Rowat's backup

nivek_wahs
09-19-2007, 03:00 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1064

Bosch wins job as Rowat's backup

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Jeff Bosch has a new number.

The 17-year-old rookie became the Regina Pats' No. 2 goaltender on Tuesday when the WHL club eliminated his last challenger by cutting Damien Ketlo.

Bosch will begin the season behind starter Linden Rowat while 16-year-old Ketlo returns home to Prince George, where he'll either re-join the midget AAA Cariboo Cougars or move up to the junior A Spruce Kings.
"It's more of a relief than anything," Bosch said of the news. "Now that I can relax, I can concentrate on my game even more, try to get better every practice. It's up to me to push Rosie. That's what I'm going to concentrate on."

Bosch is regarded as one of the top prospects in the Pats' organization, affirmed by his invitation this summer to try out for Canada's under-18 team -- one of the few players without major-junior experience to receive that honour.

Bosch, who's coming off an outstanding season with the midget AAA Saskatoon Blazers, was also a standout with Team Saskatchewan in the 2007 Canada Winter Games. During a subsequent audition with the Pats, he posted a 2.57 GAA and a .923 save percentage in two games.

Although Bosch was widely expected to land the backup job this season -- Regina traded the popular Tommy Tartaglione to make room -- Pats GM Brent Parker still termed the final decision "extremely difficult." The reason was the play of Ketlo, who stopped 88 of 93 shots in the preseason.

"Obviously Ketlo had a really good camp and I felt I had an average camp at best," said Bosch. "I definitely felt a little bit of pressure but I just try to concentrate on my game all the time and not worry about the other goalies on the team."

The Pats' brass did enough fretting for everyone.

"It was very similar to what we went through last year when Jeff probably outplayed Linden and (former starter) David (Reekie)," noted Parker. "We had to weigh everything out, not just camp, not just the exhibition games, but (Ketlo's development, how much (ice)time he's going to get, his age. There are so many factors that play into it.

"Both of them have played well," continued Parker. "Damien's numbers are a little better but I don't think you can just go on numbers. There's no question (Ketlo) has done everything we've asked of him -- and yet you're still going home. That's a tough thing for young guys to understand. But we're doing it for the right reasons. It doesn't do a 16-year-old any good to play only 15 games. He needs minutes. It benefitted Jeff and we believe it will benefit Damien."

The Pats are hoping to reap the rewards -- now and in the future. That said, Parker is already dreading yet another difficult decision which will have to be made when Ketlo is deemed to be ready for primetime.

"We thought the last two years were tough," Parker said with a laugh. "Next year is going to really present us with a very difficult problem, but a problem that I'm sure a lot of teams would be envious of having."

In the meantime, the Pats believe they've assembled one of the best goaltending tandems in the league.

It all starts at the top with Rowat.

"Obviously he's a great mentor," Bosch said. "If there's another goalie you'd want to be on a team with, it would definitely be him. He's a great goalie in this league. He has experience and he's a great guy to learn from."

Bosch admits the backup job will be an adjustment, especially since Rowat is expected to see the bulk of the icetime. If Rowat is on top of his game, it could mean even less playing time for the youngster.

"All I can really do is concentrate on playing my best and try to get into as many games as I can," Bosch added. "If he does (get on a roll) obviously it's going to be a little bit of an adjustment. I just have to concentrate on making sure when I do get those starts that I make them quality (starts)."

leaderpost.com

SASKATCHEWAN NEWS FIRST

- Go online to leaderpost.com to read Greg Harder's views on hockey, and the Regina Pats in particular, at the Slap Shots blog.