PDA

View Full Version : Ross and Pyett

witness
09-19-2007, 03:59 PM
According to the Pats website Pyett has been sent down and the Pats have reassigned MacDermott.
According the the Coyotes website Ross has been sent down.
That leaves the Pats with 14 forwards, 8 defensemen and 2 tenders.
I guess the next question who is the Captain?

nivek_wahs
09-19-2007, 04:43 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1066

PYETT RETURNS TO PATS

Regina, Saskatchewan – Wednesday, September 19th, the Regina Pats announced this afternoon that defencemen Logan Pyett will be returning to the hockey club. Pyett, who was selected by the Detroit Red Wings in the 7th round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, will be returning for his fourth season on the Pats point. Pyett who recently finished taking part in the Canada/Russia Super Series, will be a leader on and off the ice for the Pats this season.

The Pats also announced that they have re-assigned defencemen Matt MacDermott. MacDermott, was a 10th round bantam draft pick of the Pats in 2003. MacDermott will be returning to Port Alberni of the British Columbia Junior Hockey League, where he played last season.

The Pats open up their 2007-08 season on Friday night in Prince Albert against the Raiders. The two teams will then meet up again on Sunday for your Regina Pats home opener at the Brandt Centre, with a 2:00 pm puck drop.

The Pats currently have a roster of 27 players which includes 3 goaltenders, 8 defencemen and 16 forwards.
Pats Chat

The Pats currently sit at 3025 season tickets and that number continues to grow. With the purchase of a season ticket, your name will be entered for a trip for two to the NHL Entry Draft in Ottawa.

2007-08 Regina Pats season tickets are currently on sale at the Pats Office, located at the west end of the Brandt Centre. Call 522-PATS to reserve your seat for the 90th season of Regina Pats hockey.

Regina Pats season ticket holders are now able to pick up their tickets at the Pats Office, located at the west end of the Brandt Centre.

Also starting , September 17th are single game tickets sales. To get individual tickets you can visit the Brandt Centre box office or call the Ticketmaster box office at 543-7800.

- 30 -

nivek_wahs
09-19-2007, 04:44 PM
http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=337828

COYOTES ASSIGN ROSS TO JUNIOR CLUB

Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney announced that the Coyotes have assigned defenseman Nick Ross to Regina of the Western Hockey League (WHL). There are now 51 players remaining in camp.

Ross was selected by the Coyotes in the first round (30th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. The 18-year-old Ross, who appeared in his first NHL preseason game on Monday night against Colorado, will return for his fourth season with Regina.

The Coyotes will face the Toronto Maple Leafs twice this week beginning tonight in Winnipeg at the MTS Centre. After playing the Leafs in Toronto on Thursday, the Coyotes will return home to square off with the Dallas Stars at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 22 at Jobing.com Arena. For ticket information, please call 480-563-PUCK (7825), or visit www.phoenixcoyotes.com.

Fight Guy
09-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Really tough to say. I'm looking in the direction of Schira, Leffler, or MacAngus. Schira has had an 'A' for a couple years now, and is well deserving of the task. But I would also like to see Leffler wear the 'C'. I figure if Stoesz does end up back in Regina, he will get an 'A'. That's all I got for now.

HOLY CRAP! I guess the season starts Friday! I haven't been able to get into hockey as much as most years. That will change. nhl

patsdude114
09-19-2007, 06:12 PM
I have heard through some people the Schria may end up being dealt for a #1 center along with another vetern player who will be left out........

Schria definately has some trade value a good leader and soild all around defencemen.....

Personally it wouldnt surprise me at all if we waited alittle bit to name our captain go with a extra "A" out on the ice.... i know they got plans for Leffler or Teubert to wear the "C" in years to come 1 might get it sooner

CrazyGeorge
09-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Shira for Bortis and McAvoy? (Swift Current)

Big Ern
09-19-2007, 06:59 PM

Are you NUTS??!!? The Broncos are very solid defensively. Why would they need another veteran defenseman?

You wanna trade Bortis? If you're going to trade him, get more for him. I've never seen a player play in the corners like he does. He turns a lost and jammed up puck from the corner into an unbelievable scoring chance.

McAvoy? McAvoy has never looked this confident...and this good as a matter of fact. He has taken on the new role very well, and is making some great defensive plays.

I'm glad you're not the GM. HAHA. JK

But seriously.

CrazyGeorge
09-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Shira would make a solid defensive core outstanding with the addition of Shira. I'd love to have Shira on our blue line in Swift Current...perhaps that trade was a little much but Shira is a first over all pick right in the past NHL draft? Bortis, McAvoy? Where did they get drafted?

Big Ern
09-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Shira would make a solid defensive core outstanding with the addition of Shira. I'd love to have Shira on our blue line in Swift Current...perhaps that trade was a little much but Shira is a first over all pick right in the past NHL draft? Bortis, McAvoy? Where did they get drafted?

I was thinking of "Don't try to fix something that already works great." Our team has looked awesome throughout training camp, and exhibition....especially our defense. Wouldn't you play a few games first, before making the big move??

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I have heard through some people the Schria may end up being dealt for a #1 center along with another vetern player who will be left out........

Schria definately has some trade value a good leader and soild all around defencemen.....

Personally it wouldnt surprise me at all if we waited alittle bit to name our captain go with a extra "A" out on the ice.... i know they got plans for Leffler or Teubert to wear the "C" in years to come 1 might get it soonerSchira shouldn't be going anywhere.

His experience will be very valuable to our defence next year , especially considering that Pyett will probably go pro next year, leaving Craig as our only sure-fire OA defenceman(95 percent sure he will be back one more year). That is especially important, being that we should be fairly competitive next year as well.

As for the letters, I still think Ofukany is a lock for the C because of his contributions on the ice, leadership, and most importantly, his playoff experience. Schira has had a letter for a couple years, and I dont see why he shouldnt have it again, especially if he has gotten back his aggressive game that he had 2 years ago. Leffler is a possible future captain, and rightfully deserves a letter as well. Leaving the last letter for who should be Stoesz, but since he most likely wont be back, Pyett is worthy of an A for his on ice contributions alone...or leading by example, however you want to word it.

Teubert is still a year away from a letter. He needs more experience, needs to work on his all around game some more, and has enough pressure with being a favorite in the upcoming draft.

I dont see why we would give up a number 2 defenceman who can play both ways well for a defensive defenceman, and a second liner. Sure we are in need of more offence, that is if the unknowns like Strueby, Gross, and Cervany dont meet expectations, but the price is not worth the product the way I see it.

Also, why would we swap valuable players with a division rival that we could very well meet in the playoffs this year?

But if I really wanted to trade for someone, a guy I would like to see in a pats uniform is Santorelli from the wack. Just gotta deal a high end prospect(probably a Defenceman) and a mid pick, and there you have it. Thats a fairly good trade considering Chilliwack is still trying to build a franchise.

nivek_wahs
09-20-2007, 08:17 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=a4e91527-348c-4986-8250-ddc152412c7d

Pyett ready to be a leader

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, September 20, 2007

At first glance, Logan Pyett mat not recognize his old jersey.

The 19-year-old defenceman, who returned Wednesday night from training camp with the Detroit Red Wings, will have a letter stitched to his Regina Pats sweater for the first time in his four-year WHL career.

Pyett is slated to unveil the new look in Friday's season-opener against the host Prince Albert Raiders.

"I can lead with or without a letter," Pyett recently told the Leader-Post. "I don't think it's something that is that important for me. I'm an older guy this year. If the coaches see fit to put one on me, that's great. I'll try to do that role as best I can. If not, I'll still try to lead and help the young guys out and help the team win."

Pyett will indeed be wearing a letter this season. The only question is whether it will be an 'A' or a 'C.'

The Pats' brass has been deliberating on its captain and assistant captain positions for some time, delaying the final decision until Pyett returned from Detroit. There's a possibility the team could rotate captains at home and on the road, with Brett Leffler being another leading candidate.

Defenceman Craig Schira, the team's lone returning assistant captain from last season, will certainly become a bigger part of the team's leadership core with the graduation of captain Kyle Deck and alternates Kyle Ross and Garrett Festerling.

Also strong candidates to wear an 'A' this season are veteran forwards Kirt Hill and Michael MacAngus, along with sophomore defenceman Colten Teubert. At 17, the Pats may elect to wait with Teubert, a potential captain down the road.

As for Pyett, the fact that he is being entrusted with an official leadership position is a sign of how far he has come. The Balgonie product had a breakout season -- on and off the ice -- in 2006-07, finishing fourth among WHL defencemen with 62 points in 71 games. In the process, he exhibited the kind of maturity that the Pats expect from their most-trusted veterans.

"I'm going to put pressure on myself to help this team win," said Pyett. "We're going to have some new guys on the team. Hopefully I can set a good example for them. But we have a lot of guys on the team who can lead. I think there's going to be a strong group of leaders."

Pyett believes the Pats will follow their leaders this season -- with prolific results.

"We want to win so I'm going to do my part and hopefully help lead the team," he added. "I think we should be able to compete for a championship, so I'm really looking forward to it."

EXTRAS: D Nick Ross was returned to the Pats on Wednesday from the Phoenix Coyotes. His arrival allowed Regina to finalize its roster by sending D Matt MacDermott, who has been out with the concussion, to the BCHL's Alberni Valley Bulldogs. That leaves the Pats with 24 players: Two goalies, eight D-men and 14 forwards. The only remaining question mark is enforcer Myles Stoesz, 20, whom the Atlanta Thrashers have assigned to their AHL affiliate, the Chicago Wolves. Since he's under contract with the Thrashers, Stoesz could remain in Chicago this season.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Fight Guy
09-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Well...considering they have made a point of him getting a letter, my guess is he is the new Captain. I like the choice myself. I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!

HOCKEY IS BACK!!!!!

Bran
09-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Anyone hear how these guys did in their respective NHL preseason games? I haven't heard much but last I heard, they were both supposed to be playing.