PDA

View Full Version : Captain Pyett

nivek_wahs
09-20-2007, 06:31 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1070

PYETT NAMED PATS CAPTAIN

Regina, Saskatchewan – Thursday, September 20th, the Regina Pats named 4th year defencemen Logan Pyett team captain. Pyett, who recently took part in the Canada/ Russia Super Series, as well as the Detroit Red Wings training camp, returned yesterday and will be in the line-up Friday, when the Pats open their 2007-08 season in Prince Albert.

The hockey club also announced that Brett Leffler, Craig Schira, and Kirt Hill will be the assistant captains for the 2007-08 Regina Pats. Between the three veteran players they have combined for over 480 games played in the Western Hockey League.

“We believe this is a strong leadership group that understands the commitment that will be needed to accomplish our goals. We expect them to be an extension of both the coaches and management in terms of delivering our message and we are confident that as a group they will provide the type of positive influences in our room that will allow us to have success”- commented Pats General Manager Brent Parker.
……………………

The Pats roster will start the season with 24 players, which includes 2 goaltenders, 8 defencemen and 14 forwards.

With the purchase of a season ticket, your name will be entered for a trip for two to the NHL Entry Draft in Ottawa. 2007-08 Regina Pats season tickets are currently on sale at the Pats Office, located at the west end of the Brandt Centre. Call 522-PATS to reserve your seat for the 90th season of Regina Pats hockey.

Regina Pats season ticket holders are now able to pick up their tickets at the Pats Office, located at the west end of the Brandt Centre.

Also starting , September 17th are single game tickets sales. To get individual tickets you can visit the Brandt Centre box office or call the Ticketmaster box office at 543-7800.

-30-

Bran
09-20-2007, 09:45 PM
That's a little surprising...Pyett would have been my choice but I wasn't sure the team would feel the same way. Leffler and Schira I get...Kinda surprised that they went with Kirt Hill over Ofukany but I think he'll do well. You know it's probably going to be a good year when you've got so many great candidates! Those leadership qualities are huge.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-20-2007, 09:57 PM
The guy I picked for captain doesnt even get a letter. Shows what I know.

Then again, when Pyett is picked for captain, it doesnt make me feel all that bad. The guy may put up Kris Russell type points, but he isnt a kris russell type leader.

Hill is kind of a surprise.

Fight Guy
09-20-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm not really surprised by this. I think Hill should get it over Ofukany. They both tend to get into penalty trouble sometimes, but Hill always works his ass off and is also one of the older guys who will probably be around next year. While, I hope you agree, that Ofukany tends to slack off quite bad some games, and just isn't in there like other games. Plus, he's a 20 year old and they may have wanted to give an 'A' to someone who will be able to carry it into next year. Just a thought really.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-21-2007, 02:22 AM
I'm not really surprised by this. I think Hill should get it over Ofukany. They both tend to get into penalty trouble sometimes, but Hill always works his ass off and is also one of the older guys who will probably be around next year. While, I hope you agree, that Ofukany tends to slack off quite bad some games, and just isn't in there like other games. Plus, he's a 20 year old and they may have wanted to give an 'A' to someone who will be able to carry it into next year. Just a thought really.

The same can be said about Pyett in all of those ways, I have seen him slack off pretty bad a few games too, but he still has the C. Also, do you see Pyett being here next year? Its highly likely that he moves to the next level next year, unless he falls behind in development.

But, I guess it sort of makes sense if you think about it, when he played those years with Deck. Sort of a passing the torch kind of deal. Or perhaps he has the C merely because he is the best player on the team. Debateable, yet it isnt all that important. He is still a worthy candidate for captaincy, and the kid has certainly done his time, to be mild! (See 2004-05) :laugh:

Still, if it were up to me, it would be Ofukany wearing the C. Obviously, it isnt up to me. I like Hill, and he is a good team guy, but when it comes down to it, Ofukany is the more valuable player to the Pats. He can score goals, drop the gloves, and get his hands dirty. Also is decent both ways. Hill still needs to bring the offence into his game, or he is also gone next year, among others if nothing changes this season.

Another thing, if Pyett is back next year, that almost guarentees hill's departure with the way the team looks at this moment in time, but perhaps it is too early in the season (it started a few hours ago, to be exact :D ) to be saying such things.

Bran
09-21-2007, 07:25 AM
The same can be said about Pyett in all of those ways, I have seen him slack off pretty bad a few games too, but he still has the C. Also, do you see Pyett being here next year? Its highly likely that he moves to the next level next year, unless he falls behind in development.

But, I guess it sort of makes sense if you think about it, when he played those years with Deck. Sort of a passing the torch kind of deal. Or perhaps he has the C merely because he is the best player on the team. Debateable, yet it isnt all that important. He is still a worthy candidate for captaincy, and the kid has certainly done his time, to be mild! (See 2004-05) :laugh:

Still, if it were up to me, it would be Ofukany wearing the C. Obviously, it isnt up to me. I like Hill, and he is a good team guy, but when it comes down to it, Ofukany is the more valuable player to the Pats. He can score goals, drop the gloves, and get his hands dirty. Also is decent both ways. Hill still needs to bring the offence into his game, or he is also gone next year, among others if nothing changes this season.

Another thing, if Pyett is back next year, that almost guarentees hill's departure with the way the team looks at this moment in time, but perhaps it is too early in the season (it started a few hours ago, to be exact :D ) to be saying such things. Maybe it's just me, but I think that played a part in Pyett getting the C...not that I'm saying they made Pyett captain because of it, as he's obviously grown up quite a bit. Say what you want about Deck as a player but he is a great leader and he works very hard. Pyett has a ton of natural talent but has been known to slack off. I think that putting in so much time with Deck he learned a lot about leadership. In the time they played together you could really see Pyett change in that sense...and I noticed it most when he was playing with Delahey. You could really see him grow in that role.

witness
09-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Just after Christmas time last year, Pyett got it! He started to understand how hard you have to work game in and game out and how hard you have to train to be successful. He started to elivate his play and the rest of the team started to come along. He has stated that he knows he is a leader on the team where they put a letter on his jersey or not. Shows some maturity, I think he will wear the 'C' well.
Leffler is a heart and soul guy. Reminds me so much of Rypien.
Hill has been the leader since training camp. He has been hurt, but shows up everyday with a smile on his face and cheering the guys on. He has gone out of his way to ensure that all the new guys are welcomed. He works hard and reminds me of K. Ross. I think with more ice time, Hill could surprise some people.