PDA

View Full Version : Ross ready to roll after pro camp

nivek_wahs
09-21-2007, 09:28 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=5b84fa07-35ab-4282-839c-4a9cb529a472

Ross ready to roll after pro camp

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, September 21, 2007

Just in the Nick of time.

The arrival of stalwart defenceman Nick Ross -- accompanied by newly christened captain Logan Pyett -- means the Regina Pats will essentially have all hands on deck when they open the regular season tonight against the host Prince Albert Raiders.

Ross and Pyett returned Wednesday night from their respective training camps with the Phoenix Coyotes and Detroit Red Wings.

"With me and Pyett coming back, if we can play just as hard as we did (in the NHL) it should help everyone out and we should raise the whole team's level," Ross said after Thursday's practice at the Jack Hamilton Arena. "I know what it's like to practise with NHL players now. Hopefully we can keep an up-tempo pace the whole year and our whole team feeds off it."

Ross travelled with the Coyotes to Winnipeg -- site of Wednesday's preseason game against the Toronto Maple Leafs -- before grabbing a flight to Regina. The Pats thought they might not see Ross until the weekend, but his early arrival is positive news for a team that's looking to hit the ground running in P.A.

"It's good; it's really good," said head coach Curtis Hunt. "You always wish you had another day just to get everyone acclimated but you're looking at two guys who we expect to play a lot of minutes, two guys who we expect to lead us from the back end. It's exciting for us having their presence for one practice and with them being able to share with the rest of the group their experiences and how that helped their game."

Hunt correctly noted that players who return from NHL camps sometimes experience a letdown. Since Pyett and Ross will be thrown directly into the fire, the Pats can't afford any lulls.

"We want to make sure we minimize the NHL hangover," said the head coach. "I do understand there's a pace change, but now the challenge is for those players to bring it to our team. We want to play at that higher pace."

Ross was still beaming Thursday about his first camp with the Coyotes, who picked him in the first round (30th overall) of the 2007 NHL entry draft. The 18-year-old Lethbridge product spent the past week with the NHL club, rubbing shoulder-pads with the team's veterans under the guidance of head coach Wayne Gretzky.

"It was kind of an eye-opener," admitted Ross. "For the first little bit you're kind of nervous because you see guys like Ed Jovanovski and Shane Doan. But all the guys are really nice so eventually I settled down. It's like here (in Regina) actually, everyone is kind of one big family. It was just a great experience."

SPEAKING OF GREAT ...

"It takes a while to get used to," Ross said with a smile when asked if he was in awe of his head coach. "It's Wayne Gretzky! But after a while you kind of settle in. I had a couple conversations with him. He's a nice guy, a great guy."

Ross's experience also included some great advice.

"I definitely have to work on my quickness and just getting stronger," he said. "Everyone is in top shape there and really strong."

Ross believes his brief stint in Phoenix will help make him a better player in the WHL this season. As for individual goals, he's more concerned with helping the Pats reach their team objectives.

"Everyone kind of has the same goal in mind," he added. "We want to go far in the playoffs and we want to try to go to the Memorial Cup. We're going to work as hard as we can the whole year so by the time playoffs come we'll be the best team we can be and hopefully make a run for it."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007