PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have to be road warriors

nivek_wahs
09-21-2007, 09:34 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=6449c961-e56f-42f4-8811-25f60392503b

Broncos have to be road warriors

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, September 21, 2007

The rebuilding project isn't quite over for the Swift Current Broncos.

The WHL club will open the regular season with eight straight road contests due to major renovations at the Centennial Civic Centre. As a result, the Broncos won't stage their home opener until Oct. 12 against the expansion Edmonton Oil Kings.

"It'll be a real challenge, especially with the teams we're playing," offered head coach/GM Dean Chynoweth, whose club visits the strongholds of the Medicine Hat Tigers, Calgary Hitmen and Kamloops Blazers, to name a few. "It's going to be a challenge to get off to the start we want to."

Chynoweth acknowledged that his team's schedule could become a distraction "if you allow it to be."

He's determined to not let that happen.

"We've talked about it from Day 1," he said. "This is how it is and there's no changing it. We can turn it into a positive and come out of the gate ready or it will be a hindrance and an excuse and I don't like using excuses."

Although the season-opening schedule represents an up-hill challenge, there's also a flip side for the Broncos. If they weather the climb, the team will be that much further ahead when it returns to home ice.

"I think .500 out of the road trip would be good," Chynoweth said. "I think with the group we have, they'll be up for that challenge."

The $14-million expansion of the Centennial Civic Centre isn't slated to be complete until around Christmas. Therefore, the Broncos -- and their fans -- will continue to endure some inconveniences along the way.

"The kids don't really realize the magnitude of it for us here in the office," noted Chynoweth. "There's something daily that we're dealing with."

The Broncos' home arena may be in a state of disarray, but the team is beginning to resemble a finished product.

Now entering Year 4 of Chynoweth's regime, the club has matured into a legitimate East Division contender, led by a deep and talented veteran cast including Levi Nelson, Zack Smith, Dale Weise, Eric Doyle and Paul Postma. Complementing that group is an impressive crop of up-and-comers led by 17-year-old sniper Geordie Wudrick.

"I'm happy with where we've gotten to," said Chynoweth. "(Now) we have to take another step. Any time you go through a transition phase like we did the last three years, we've seen slight improvements each year. We're finally in a position where we have some tough decisions to make that include veteran players and young kids trying to make it for the first time. I can't say we've had that every year."

The Broncos have improved their win total each of the past three seasons -- from 22 to 24 to 33 -- while making the playoffs in each of the past two years. In order for the upward trend to continue, Chynoweth believes his team will have to "score by committee" this season.

"The one thing about our team is I like our makeup in the sense that we don't have the one superstar but we have a lot of guys who have a lot to prove and have been pretty solid towards the end of last year and coming into the start of this year," he said. "I like the balance we have up front and I like our mobility on the back end. The goaltending is an area that Travis (Yonkman) has sat back and waited to be in this situation. Now he gets to prove himself as a No. 1 guy."

Asked about the pressures facing the Broncos this season, Chynoweth invoked a common coach's ploy, insisting the external pressures are something created by the media. The internal expectations haven't changed, he said, outlining the team's goals as finishing in the top three in the East Division and making sure they're "a playoff team."

"We have a lot to prove," added Chynoweth, whose squad opens the regular season tonight against the host Moose Jaw Warriors. "We haven't done anything. We're starting exactly where everybody else is starting. Your goal is to try to be there after 72 games."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Flathead
09-21-2007, 12:27 PM
We'll be there after 72 games, sitting atop the Division!! Let's go boys, good luck tonight in the Jaw!!