PDA

View Full Version : Hunchak prepared to face his old squad

nivek_wahs
09-21-2007, 09:37 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=35262b83-7461-4e59-82cc-1374173f6d9e

Hunchak prepared to face his old squad

Corey Atkinson, Saskatchewan News Network; Moose Jaw Times-Herald
Published: Friday, September 21, 2007

MOOSE JAW -- Moose Jaw Warriors coach Dave Hunchak says he stays in fairly frequent contact with old boss Dean Chynoweth, and Chynoweth sends Hunchak luck for 64 games this season.

But probably not for tonight's game -- or the seven others the Swift Current Broncos will play against the Warriors.

Chynoweth, the veteran bench boss of a highly rated Swift Current Broncos team that Hunchak assisted until this season, takes his charges into Moose Jaw for the season opener against the Warriors.

"It's a real stiff test for us right off the bat," said Hunchak. "They've got a real balanced team and it's good to see that challenge and to see the standard we need to get ourselves to."

Hunchak's experience with the Broncos leads him to believe that team is for real.

"They're a defence-oriented team that's now matured some offensive prowess," Hunchak said. "It's going to be a matchup of our depth and they're depth.

"With their team over there, they've been building towards this year for three years, so it's go time for them."

Hunchak emphasizes that it's not him against the Broncos, it's the Warriors players against the Broncos players and what each brings to the table.

"Jobs get changed in our business on a yearly basis, and sometimes on a monthly basis," Hunchak said. "So do I have loyalty to what happened there? Yeah, I'm proud of what we've done over there as an organization when I was a part of that. But I'm awfully proud of what we've been able to accomplish over a short period of time here, and change a lot of things and a lot of thought processes our guys have."

The Warriors have had to learn a new forechecking and puck-moving system in the past few weeks, and the exhibition season results have ranged from pretty solid to fairly tentative. The Warriors are currently carrying 15 forwards, eight defencemen and three goaltenders.

"There's going to be guys sitting (Friday) night that probably don't think they should be sitting but the reality is, I can only dress 12 forwards."

But as for those well-wishes from Chynoweth, don't expect them for the home opener. Hunchak said Chynoweth wants his people to do well, and wants players to get better as players and coaches to move up the ranks.

"We're very good friends," Hunchak said. "I have a ton of respect for Dean.

"I'm the first one to say if it wasn't for Dean Chynoweth, I wouldn't be in the position I'm in right now ...

"I talk to him once, maybe two or more times a week just to see how things are going. But above everything else, he's a good person. He's a really good friend, and it'll be fun (Friday) night."

Moose Jaw Times-Herald

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007