PDA

View Full Version : Once a King, always a King

nivek_wahs
09-21-2007, 09:43 AM
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=d5a64d25-229e-4f2a-9c16-e02a76724b5d

Once a King, always a King
Alumni pass the torch to new generation of junior players at WHL club's opening night ceremony

Cam Tait, The Edmonton Journal
Published: 1:52 am

EDMONTON - Bob Falkenberg felt 40 years younger on Thursday night when he laced on his skates for a pre-game ceremony to welcome the Edmonton Oil Kings back to the city.

"A night like tonight takes 40 years off my life -- I feel like a teenager again," said Falkenberg, who played for the hockey club from 1962-66, when they were still in the Central Alberta Hockey League.

The Oil Kings, who had a storied history in the 1960s, made their official return to the Western Hockey League at Rexall Place, home of the Edmonton Oilers.

The Kings haven't skated in Edmonton since April, 1979, and it was fitting that Falkenberg and seven other club alumni including Al Hamilton, Bruce MacGregor and Dave Inkpen took to the ice for a pre-game ceremony.

"Not too many expansion teams have such a big alumni," said MacGregor, who started with the Oil Kings in 1956.

"I think that's because the Oil Kings have such a deep tradition."

In total, about 60 former Oil Kings attended a reception before the puck dropped.

Don Scott was the general manager of the team in the 1960s.

"It was special to be an Oil King because not everyone could be an Oil King," says Scott. "The Oil Kings were Edmonton's team. And that's why there's so many of us here tonight."

You could feel the nostalgia in the air.

"I'm so excited major hockey is back," said alumnus Ray Kinasewich.

"More and more kids are going to Canadian schools through hockey, and this really promotes it."

Hamilton, who went on to become the Oilers' first captain, came to Edmonton as a junior in 1963 and was smiling from ear to ear during the ceremony.

"This is a great night for Edmonton," said Hamilton. "It kind of makes you realize what kind of an impact the team had on the city.

"And," he said with a chuckle, "it makes you realize how old you are."

Former Oil Kings owner Vic Mah dropped the puck in a ceremonial face-off while wearing a club jacket given to him by New York Rangers GM and Oilers front-office legend Glen Sather. Sather, too, was an Oil King, and although the team has seen many hockey legends graduate from its ranks, its tradition of excellence is owing to the depth of its rank-and-file players.

Bob McGill only played two games for the Oil Kings, but the mystique of the team is still with him.

"Having them back means a lot to us who played," said McGill, now a scout for the Oil Kings in northern Alberta. "And it means a lot to the fans who came out."

McGill, a retired firefighter, says there's one word he thinks of when he hears the name Oil Kings.

"Tradition."

Broadcaster Bryan Hall called the Oil Kings' games in the early '60s.

"It's marvellous to have them back," Hall said. "I think we've missed out for many years when it comes to major junior hockey."

Then there is, of course, the late Bill Hunter, who managed the team for many years. Hunter's wife was at the ceremony.

"Bill would be saying a lot of things you couldn't print," smiled McGill. "But one word Bill would say tonight would be 'awesome.' "

ctait@thejournal.canwest.com

© The Edmonton Journal 2007