PDA

View Full Version : Alzner rarin' to get going

nivek_wahs
09-21-2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=3b0cbd60-1276-4af3-87a8-8294d6d146f3

Alzner rarin' to get going
Hitmen defender likes look of team

John Down, Calgary Herald
Published: Friday, September 21, 2007

There were four games in Moscow and Siberia. Another game each in Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Red Deer and Vancouver.

And the mad dash to rush from the West Coast to the East Coast to join the Washington Capitals training camp.

It was a month of a lifetime for Karl Alzner but today the 19-year-old defenceman is just as excited about getting back to playing some Calgary Hitmen hockey.

"I think we have a really solid team this year," smiled the fifth overall draft pick of the Capitals this summer as he finally joined his Western Hockey League teammates on the ice Thursday at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

"Maybe not too many are looking at us to be a contender, but when we get healthy, get all our players back . . . I've been so jacked up for this season. I can't wait to start it."

The wait will end tonight at 7 when the Hitmen play host to the Red Deer Rebels in the season opener for both teams.

And, as many kilometres, as many practices and games he's played since he left for the Super Series on Aug. 19, Alzner says he feels fresh.

"Actually, I feel very good," he said. "I was a little bit tired in camp at Washington at times, but I've had these last two days off and can't wait to get back into the swing of things. The coaches told me I could stay home (Wednesday), but I wanted to come by, see the guys and meet all the new young guys."

Alzner, who will anchor a veteran defensive corps this season, got a good taste of what it'll take to play in the NHL. Besides team scrimmages, he and fellow Canada team defensive partner Josh Godfrey stuck together throughout camp. There was a rookie game against Philadelphia and then they saw a lot of Carolina's No. 1 line of Cory Stillman, Eric Staal and Erik Cole in a pre-season NHL game. Former Hitmen teammate Brett Carson also was getting plenty of ice time on the Hurricanes blueline.

"I thought I did really good in that game," he said. "I stuck in there. I didn't really create any chances for the team, but I didn't give anything up. I tried to play consistent and solid down low.

"The first period was one of the fastest periods I've ever played in my life."

And what did he learn from the NHL camp?

"The one thing I noticed is the players work out the entire season," said the six-foot-two, 202-pounder. "That's what I need to be doing this year. Their strength coach really harps on getting quicker, so I'm going to try to get as fast as I can and lean, too."

Ah yes, speed. Now there was a topic that popped up frequently following his visit to Russia.

"It was crazy in Moscow," he said. "Five lanes turn into eight lanes, three lanes into five lanes. It's nuts. There'd be a cop car rolling down the street with the lights flashing and siren going and there'd be people passing it. Things like that. It was weird to see for people like me. It makes you feel fortunate to be living in a place like Calgary."

jdown@theherald.canwest.com

© The Calgary Herald 2007