09-21-2007, 01:06 PM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=64438&sc=5

SPORTS

Last updated at 12:39 PM on 21/09/07

Campese's Raiders kick off campaign
Emotional night for first-year coach after dealing with loss of his father

RYAN BOULTON
Herald staff

It will be an emotional night for Prince Albert Raiders head coach Bruno Campese - for more reasons than he first anticipated.

Tonight's WHL season opener, circled on his calendar since he arrived in Prince Albert this summer, has taken on even more meaning over the past couple weeks as the 41-year-old Campese dealt with the death of his father.

Having added his personal struggles to the whirlwind of his first Western Hockey League training camp as head man, Campese is ready to get things underway but admitted he might take time to remember one of the reasons he has gotten to this point in hockey.

"He was a huge hockey fan and my biggest support, whether as a player or a coach, he loved the game and loved what I am doing," Campese said of his dad.

"So to me, this whole year is going to be special. He was a big part of me and my hockey career, both as a player and a coach. Starting the season is always an exciting time, but (tonight) is going to be a special night for a lot of reasons."

And while Campese is ready to take on the new challenge behind the Raiders bench, he also admitted the club isn't quite where he would like to see it.

"There is a lot of different things we have had to incorporate here and change, so it's taken some time," said Campese. "It's a whole different mindset we have in here now, and it's a work in progress. And really, in earnest, it starts (tonight). We aren't making any bones about the fact that we have a lot to do, but we feel we can be very competitive.

The Raiders could find out right away just how competitive they might be as the Pats are picked by many to occupy the top rung in the East Division.

And while Campese isn't too familiar with the club from the Queen City, tonight's clash at the Art Hauser Centre the return match Sunday afternoon in Regina should be a measuring stick of sorts.

"This gives us a opportunity right away to see what we are going to be like against a team a lot of people are saying is going to be one of the strong clubs in the league," said Campese.

Newly anointed captain Ryan DePape, who begins his fourth season with the Raiders, said while the Pats are touted as one of the Eastern Conference's best, it's important they get off to a good start.

"We will be keeping our game pretty simple," said DePape. "It's the real deal now and there's no fooling around."

With the Raiders sometimes hurt in the pre-season by undisciplined penalties, DePape said staying out of the box is a must.

"Penalties and undisciplined play sometimes happen in pre-season, but now that stuff can't happen and we have to be accountable," said DePape.

Fellow veteran Mike Gauthier, who begins his fifth season in the green and gold, doesn't agree with those pundits saying the Raiders might have a hard time making the playoffs.

"We have a lot of guys that can surprise people, and I think can surprise some teams in this league," said Gauthier.

"We have a lot of guys returning who are year older and a year stronger, and I think we have what it takes to be a good team in the this league."

rboulton@paherald.sk.ca

Five Hole
09-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Condolences to Bruno and his family. Certainly anyone who has been through something similar can relate to what a difficult time this must be for them.
Losing someone that close to you never happens at a good time and it is always too soon. I'd bet he'll be dedicating his first seaon as a head coach in the WHL to his father.
It sounds like they're working hard to develop some new systems that will produce a competitive team with some new direction and focus. And hopefully the changes will result in an on ice product that Bruno and the rest of the organization, and all of us Raider fans, will be proud of. :thumb:

Dwight Schrute
09-22-2007, 07:58 PM
i saw a lot last night that i liked

westbeach55
09-22-2007, 11:30 PM
butler looks like he is going to be solid in net. I though Deck really looked good for a young defencemen

Zookeeper
09-22-2007, 11:57 PM
butler looks like he is going to be solid in net. I though Deck really looked good for a young defencemen

I agree with you Westbeach, Butler made some big saves and if not for him the score would of been alot worse. Flatter looked terrible out there. Did you see when he was giving it to Macdonald for not touching the puck when the Raiders were going to be called for a penalty in the 3rd? If he keep this up, his mouth will make him the odd 20 yr old out.

Dwight Schrute
09-23-2007, 01:52 PM
i might be the only one to thinki this. but i thought butler was ok nothing amazing. might have been drew wilson being a retard on the radio(i watched the webcast) and making it sound like every save was some kinda highlight.

i reall liked the trach, hewson herrod line. really liked it

Zookeeper
09-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Butler made some big saves, can't really blame him on them all if any. Mistakes by the d man made it hard on him. 2 on 1 and not taking the folllowing player hurt the team. I know Wilson gets exited, so I could just imagine what he was saying.