PDA

View Full Version : 5-2

howley
09-21-2007, 11:52 PM
discuss

hobster
09-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Well that score is quit flattering for the Blades they score 2 late goals in the third too make the score look respectable, Holtby was the best player for the Blades wish we had Klotz and Gillies, the thing is every team gets up for there home opener look at Edmonton even win there first ever game on thursday, im not worried about the Blades they'll come back strong tomorrow night.

nivek_wahs
09-22-2007, 08:35 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=454d7698-f899-4f9b-9a68-8bcce3aba12f&k=62383

Blades hazy
Wheat Kings 5, Blades 2

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, September 22, 2007

BRANDON -- When the smoke finally settled -- and there was plenty, thanks to an ongoing pyrotechnics show -- the Saskatoon Blades discovered they have a lot of work to do.

The Brandon Wheat Kings humbled Saskatoon 5-2 Friday on opening night of the Western Hockey League season. Czech import Daniel Bartek paced the rout with two goals and an assist.

The same teams meet tonight at Credit Union Centre at 7:05 p.m.

The Blades spent most of Friday's first period killing off penalties. Saskatoon subsequently failed to generate any early momentum.

"We took a lot of lazy penalties," said Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken, "and we didn't compete hard enough, especially in the second period. Going into the second, the score was even (0-0) and the nerves were out, but Brandon took their game to another level and really exposed our defence."

Blades goaltender Braden Holtby had little help as his team was outshot 40-19.

"The 19 guys in front of him didn't do a very good job," said Molleken. "We got exposed by making bad decisions reading their rush and pinching at the wrong times. We were soft with the puck."

Holtby twice made brilliant saves on Bartek before the Wheat Kings' offence clicked. A turnover late in the first period led to a short-handed breakaway by Bartek, who gave a nifty head fake, but couldn't beat Holtby with a shot to the blocker side.

"I tried to make a move," said Bartek. "I'd usually (deke to the) backhand, but I decided to shoot. It was a good save, but I kept trying and I scored a couple of goals."

Holtby's second theft on Bartek came early in the second period. A slick set-up by Jay Fehr put Bartek in prime scoring position, but Holtby slid across to make the save. The crowd's collective sigh quickly turned into a roar, though, as Daryl Boyle charged in from the point and snapped the puck top shelf.

After that power-play goal, the floodgates opened.

Brandon scored three times in final seven minutes of the second period -- each goal punctuated by booming fireworks. Bartek netted goals 2:53 apart. Then Matt Lowry's power-play marker pushed the lead to 4-0 in the final minute.

"Both sides had nerves in the first period," said Bartek. "No one wanted to give up a goal. It was a little more open in the second and we scored a couple of goals to help us. But it will be a tough game (tonight). We're going to have to play as well as (Friday), maybe better."

The match has its emotional moments. Blades defenceman Teigan Zahn caught Wheat Kings rookie Brayden Schenn, a Saskatoon product, with a knee late in the second. That led to a scrap between Mark Louis and Zahn.

Schenn suffered no ill-effects from the hit, though. He later had a hand in a pretty tic-tac-toe goal by linemate Scott Glennie midway through the third period.

"We have a lot of skilled forwards and leadership on defence. I don't think we're rebuilding at all," said Boyle, whose team lost six of its top-seven scorers from last season. "We're a defence-first team, so we're going to play defence and the goals will come."

Saskatoon's Walker Wintoneak broke Joe Caligiuri's shutout with 7:47 left in regulation. Chris Durand added a power-play goal with 18 seconds remaining.

BLADE BITS: Blades LW Colton Gillies didn't play Friday, as he remains in NHL camp with the Minnesota Wild. Molleken plans to ice a tougher lineup tonight, by inserting RW Kevin Philp and LW Garrett Klotz, who was scratched Friday to complete a suspension from last season . . . G Garrett Zemlak is expected to start for Saskatoon.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

howley
09-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Zemlak starting...interesting...can we expect to see the Blades floating two goalies?

sbtatter
09-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Well that score is quit flattering for the Blades they score 2 late goals in the third too make the score look respectable, Holtby was the best player for the Blades wish we had Klotz and Gillies, the thing is every team gets up for there home opener look at Edmonton even win there first ever game on thursday, im not worried about the Blades they'll come back strong tomorrow night.
I thought Elliot was your best player, followed by McCrae. Obviously Gillies will help your forecheck, and he and Klotz will toughen up the forwards and make things much harder on opposition forwards.

bladesfan25
09-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Personally, I think Zemlak is a more solid goalie. Holtby is very inconsistent. He can have one great nightand the next he doesn't come to play. Zemlak is consistent every game. Watch tonight! he will be great! Holtby also plays out of the net way too much and gets caught!

hobster
09-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Well it was pointed out that Holtby is are starter, he let up 5 last night but could have been alot worse if it wasnt for him, i would have went right back at Holtby tonight just for the whole confidence thing.

dagley
09-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Ill take Holtby if you don't want him :D

hobster
09-22-2007, 04:27 PM
haha no thanx im happy with holtby better than caliguri or whatever his name is it sure is nice too have 2 reliable goalies tho

dagley
09-22-2007, 07:35 PM
This result so far is way different than last night.

howley
09-22-2007, 07:37 PM
different in the fact they are on pace for 12 goals????

dagley
09-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah. I still cannot believe Glennie/Schenn and Calvert are all rookies. It's quite amazing.

Five Hole
09-22-2007, 07:44 PM
To quote Hobster:
Settle down bud it's the first game of the season you didn't win nothing yet, Edmonton beat Kootenay for god sakes it means nothing yet the Blades will win there home opener tomorrow night mark my words, and oh by the way Gillies and Klotz wern't even playing, so just sit back and enjoy the Blades payback tomorrow night.

At least he was smart enough to not offer to eat his shorts and post it on You Tube like his old friend Canadian eh, er I mean Triton haha

dagley
09-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Still 40 minutes of hockey left, but...:/

Joe Hallenback
09-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Not trying to make fun of the Blades but are they really this bad this year? I had thought they would be a decent team with a good chance at the playoffs.

From what I have seen in both games so far. They are very slow and Brandon is skating circles around them

zinger
09-22-2007, 08:14 PM
yeah but Klotz sure is making a difference out there!! haha
Just wait til Gillies comes back!!

hobster
09-22-2007, 08:31 PM
yES I KNOW THE BLADES ARE THE HATED TEAM IN THE WHHL EVERYONE LIKES TOO SEE THEM LOSE IT MUST FEEL LIKE A LEAFS FAN NOT SURE WHY EVERYONE WANTS TOO RUB IT IN SO BAD WE ARE REALLY GETTING SCHOOLED IM DONE WITH BRANDON FOR THIS WEEK BRING ON A DIFF TEAM MY GOD HAHA

booboo
09-22-2007, 08:53 PM
yES I KNOW THE BLADES ARE THE HATED TEAM IN THE WHHL EVERYONE LIKES TOO SEE THEM LOSE IT MUST FEEL LIKE A LEAFS FAN NOT SURE WHY EVERYONE WANTS TOO RUB IT IN SO BAD WE ARE REALLY GETTING SCHOOLED IM DONE WITH BRANDON FOR THIS WEEK BRING ON A DIFF TEAM MY GOD HAHA

Sorry hobster about giving you the berries about the Blades. But it is possible that the so-called pundits may have been wrong about the ability of the Wheats. By the way thanks Toon Town for Brayden Schenn.

hobster
09-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Your Welcome Haha

Remix
09-22-2007, 09:14 PM

nah, I think Everett takes the most hated award

sbtatter
09-22-2007, 09:28 PM
I thought you were going to be at the game? We don't hate the Blades, we pity them!!!

hobster
09-22-2007, 10:06 PM
i don't get how we play better against you guys last year when you had more tallent and we were so young and this year you guys domintae us im worried for other teams in the eats div

Brandonite
09-23-2007, 12:00 AM
haha no thanx im happy with holtby better than caliguri or whatever his name is it sure is nice too have 2 reliable goalies tho

haha buddy, judging by these first 2 games maybe you dont have these 2 reliable goalies that you think you got!! They both got lit up so keep eating your own words and making yourself look more and more like a goof!! Caliguri was atleast rated among NHL scouts last year, was Holtby or that other guy?!? Didn't think so...Caliguri let in 3 goals in 2 games and yours combined for 11! Great start boys!

zinger
09-23-2007, 01:14 AM

No, its not the Blades at all, its guys like you that run off at the mouth without waiting and thinking about what you are saying before you post your comments. You make youself look like a fool by doing that. Think about it.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-23-2007, 01:21 AM
haha buddy, judging by these first 2 games maybe you dont have these 2 reliable goalies that you think you got!! They both got lit up so keep eating your own words and making yourself look more and more like a goof!! Caliguri was atleast rated among NHL scouts last year, was Holtby or that other guy?!? Didn't think so...Caliguri let in 3 goals in 2 games and yours combined for 11! Great start boys!

Holtby was not eligible for the 2007 NHL draft, the same goes for guys like Hulak. As a late 89 birth, he could be drafted in the next draft. Im sure that he will be picked, probably around the same place Rowat was picked.

I am not sure if Zemlak could have been picked though.

and why is everyone giving up on toon town because they lost their first couple of games? Give them time to find team chemistry, and places for the rookies. Molleken knows what he is doing, so I am sure that the team will be set straight by then.

What I am curious about is why Kootenay lost 2 in a row to edmonton. They should have a great team this year, yet they are losing, in a convincing manner I might add, to an expansion team.

Perhaps its absense of Clouston.

zinger
09-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Awesome game by the boys tonight. Brandon's speed was no match for the big, slow Blades. Does anyone have an idea of the attendance? the C.U.C seemed basically empty. The Schenn/Glennie/Calvert line is amazing, 16 year old Glennie really exposed Klotz's lack of skill on that first goal where he capitalized on his mistake. haha Nathan Green and Colby Robak also had good games. The same can be said for the Dittmer, Lowry, Clark and Bartek, although they were not as effective as yesterday. If I had to choose a negative It would be the PP, which was descent, but can be better. Excellent start to the season for Brandon, who would have thought 2-0?

Yep, Klotz really made a difference in the outcome of the game, eh Hobster !?!?! haha

zinger
09-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Well it might be a differant story tonight when were throughing out a 4th line of klotz 6,6 toomey 6,4 and philp 6,7 ......

yep, a line of big, slow, unskilled guys, that made a big difference, especially NHL Draftee Klotz, he's a game breaker. :laugh: what a joke!!!

howley
09-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't think Zemlak was elligible last year.

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't think Zemlak was elligible last year.
No I do not think he was, I really think he is eligible for the 2008 NHL Draft. I am sure that the Blades will turn their ship around,it is only a matter of time.

wango tango
09-23-2007, 10:21 PM
that was an embarrasing saturday night. too much scrambling around. guys not fulfilling their roles. the wheaties are probably better than many guessed they would be, but saskatoon also made them look better by playing so poorly.

i'm not going to single out poor play by individual players, i'd be here all night writing about it, and still not be able to cover everything.

i'm glad i've calmed down after that embarrasment of a home opener. i felt like molleken should've cut 3/4's of the team last night, bag skated the last 1/3 today, and picked a whole new team tomorrow.

after settling down today, i know molleken will get this team to where it needs to be, maybe the preseason was too short this year.

mccrae, toomey, elliott, and g. patterson were the only guys who looked to be any kind of threat. too many bad choices causing too many odd man situations that wound up in the blades net. zemlak probably wants a couple of them back. holtby did alright for what he had to work with.

lots of basics, fundamentals, and systems over the next couple of days. lots of drilling on effort, and assignments. no ones season is over. although for some of these kids it might be over at this level.

dansereau a blade? yeah i'd love to see it, but at what price? cause it's pretty obvious this team needs a lot more punch up front, a lot more.

Trav
09-23-2007, 10:32 PM
and give up a young player for Dansereau. Some people say Calgary would want a proven player but I don't think any team will give up a proven player for him, cosndering they sent him home, could be wrong though. A good prospect and a 2nd round pick should be enough and the Blades have some decent youngsters coming up and they have four picks in the first two rounds next year and Dansereau will likely be an overager in the league so why not go for it. They need a proven scorer.