PDA

View Full Version : Broncos @ Moose Jaw

Big Ern
09-22-2007, 12:31 AM
WOW! Once again, the Broncos are back, and have carried their never-die attitude over from last season. An unbelievable 3-2 OT win in Moose Jaw tonight proved that.

The first period was not pretty. Not pretty at all. Two goals were scored by the Warriors in the first three and a half minutes of the game. The defense looked completely out of it, and the situation looked scary. Moose Jaw seemed ready to explode for a LOT more than two goals, while our defense kept giving pucks away. At the same time, Travis Yonkman gathered his wits and kept the Broncos in the game. Perhaps the team didn't deal well with the pressure of opening night, but the situation looked dire after 20 minutes.

It changed in the second period. The guys came out and really gave it their all, only to be robbed by Joey Perricone. The shot clock was evened out, despite being extremely lopsided after the first period. There were scoring chances, and the defense played well. The spark was lit up in the Bronco crowd, and the cheers came up. With a great effort in the second period, the next period looked promising.

And that it was!! Eric Doyle broke the egg, scoring on a 5 on 3 PP with a big howitzer from the point. Bronco fans in attendance went nuts, and the Broncos turned the dial up a notch in return. The pressure was now on the Warriors. The action was great, until Chris Savage's hand came up, to call the Broncos for a penalty with just over three minutes to go. The Broncos however, didn't fold. The penalty was killed off, and the final goal of regulation was a BEAUTY. There were three arranged passes, and all of a sudden the net was dented. The Bronco faithful in attendance went abseloutely ridiculous, as Swift tied the game with just over a second to go!! Newly named captain, Zack Smith dented the twine to tie it.

In OT, Travis Yonkman made a few great saves on the Warriors' high powered offense, before the puck was brought the other way, and Matt Tassone put the end to that one. The puck just made it over the line, and the game was over!

Credit the Broncos for showing character, battling adversity, and winning the game. It's a great sign early on, when a team doesn't give up until the end. At the same time, I hope the guys don't get the wrong taste from this victory. It's definitely not all good. You can't give up two goals three minutes after the first faceoff, and expect to win hockey games. I'm not trying to inflict negativity...DEFINITELY not. But the entire game has to be looked at. At the same time, we won the game. So there was more good than bad to gather from that contest.

NOTES:

-Chris Savage was one of the reasons the Broncos had a bad first period. I'm not going to hesitate to say it. He is abseloutely idiotic. Neither side ever seems satisfied when he refs a game. That is not a good sign. Anyway, I'm not one to rip the officiating. Enough said.

-the fans on the bus were AWESOME!! This was my first time ever on the fan bus, and I must say, it was a great experience.

-the game was a fight-filled affair. Even Levi Nelson had a fight. It got him thrown out of the game early on, but to see him fight is cause for major celebration. Derek Claffey took acception of a hit on Geordie Wudrick, and fought Riley Grantham. Good on Claf. He stood up for his teammate. Brady Leavold tried and tried, but they would not let him fight. Finally, he was let loose, and laid a licken on one Warrior. Geat to see. The older guys are leading.

-this might not be important for many fans, but for me, it is: Dean Chynoweth prevailed in his first matchup vs. Dave Hunchak. Gotta love it!!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

CrazyGeorge
09-22-2007, 12:41 AM
We got tooled in the fights except for Leavold's fight before he got tossed. I was shocked to see Nelson fight. We have guys like Smith and RJ to do that stuff...in the end, we really don't have an enforcer. I think that is something we need to look to acquire to protect our young guys as well as our goal scorers like Nelson and Wudrick.

ointhecreek
09-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Good on Levi for fighting? I don't think it's good at all! What did it accomplish? He got tossed from the game and the team missed his scoring for 2 1/2 periods. It gave the warriors a lift when they seen one of our star players get serious beat down. Worst of all he could have been seriously hurt and out for a number of games. We need him on the ice play making, not in the dressing room with an ice pack.
Tonights game shows just how much we need a tough guy in th line up.

SuckItUp
09-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Yes GOOD ON LEVI FOR fighting, Did he get beat down? Yeah maybe but he was jerseyed. Do I feel he started it HELL no. The penalties that came out of it was terrible. Savage blows goats. When U play the style that Levi was playing You gotta drop the mits from time to time.

ointhecreek
09-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Yes GOOD ON LEVI FOR fighting, Did he get beat down? Yeah maybe but he was jerseyed. Do I feel he started it HELL no. The penalties that came out of it was terrible. Savage blows goats. When U play the style that Levi was playing You gotta drop the mits from time to time.
Come on! Do you really believe our potential top scorers should be fighting? Matters not that he was jerseyed, he still would have got his butt kicked, HE'S NOT A FIGHTER. I never said he started it nor deserved it. The linesmen broke up the fight where the two guys could handle themselves and left the miss-match continue, poor judgment in my books. Of course a person has come to expect that in this league.

Scout
09-22-2007, 08:45 AM
I agree with both of you, but i still say we need a heaveyweight. Sure Levi has to defend himself from time to time but if the other team wanted to fight just to get him off the ice because he is our offensive weapon then it worked. He missed the rest of the game. If the Moose Jaw player premeditated the fight then we need a heaveyweight to let the other team know that if you are going after our star player than you have to deal with me. Tidball did a great job of that and the other teams knew he was on the bench and was going to make you pay. I think we are missing that. We have some good middleweights but i doubt they strike fear into opposing teams. I think we need it and there has to be one out there somewhere.

Scout

MooseJaw_Kyle
09-22-2007, 09:53 AM
I am not coming on here to bash anyone or anything.
When Nelson fought Suer in the 1st Nelson had Suer on the ground and he got up and they both dropped the gloves.They both started it.The Broncos clearly outworked the Warriors from the 2nd period on though,i give them credit they never gave up.The Warriors were amazing the first period.They beat the Broncos in every aspect of the game.It seems like the Warriors didn't have the drive in the 2nd and 3rd.No doubt the Broncos earned that win.

Big Ern
09-22-2007, 10:45 AM

This is pretty much the point I was trying to bring across. There were concerns with Levi last year. He lived by the sword, but he didn't die by the sword. He was an agitator, but he never really had a fight. Again, if you live by the sword, you HAVE to die by the sword. This season, he drops the mitts in game one. To see him actually have a fight, is huge. The message was clear: "If I have to fight, I will." So I'm really happy about that. I think it's a big accomplishment.

Secondly, I doubted Savage's call on that play big time. Nelson CERTAINLY DID NOT instigate that fight. Throwing him out of the game was ridiculous......but that's what Savage decided to do, I guess.

Anyway, I will not comment further on this subject. I think I've brought my point across.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Big Ern
09-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Here is something important that I forgot in my initial post:

Congratulations to Tim Kehler, on his first win as assistant coach of the Broncos. The team needed big time motivation coming out of that first period, and obviously, Tim helped provide that. Again, congrats!!!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

dubfan
09-22-2007, 11:41 AM
BIG ERN, great recap, better than a lot of so called professionals from the "big cities in Sask", you have potential young man. You even have the smooze factor at this young age. Some young men want to be hockey players, firemen, police, doctors, lawyers and even broadcast/sports journalists (Big Ern), I encourage you to follow your dream.