PDA

View Full Version : Alzner

sbtatter
09-22-2007, 10:04 PM
What was up with Alzner getting into a scrap tonight? How did he do?

RunTheGoalie
09-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Probably a response to the cheapshot Watt through on him last night. J.D. the coward hit him into the boards from behind with a flying elbow.

It's embarrassing to know that loser is in the Flames system.

sbtatter
09-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Probably a response to the cheapshot Watt through on him last night. J.D. the coward hit him into the boards from behind with a flying elbow.

Who do the Hitmen have to take care of issues like this? B/c you don't want Alzner having to fight....I guess with no Dupont or White there you need someone else to step up and protect Alzner

Brandonite
09-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Ryan White is not there to scrap neither...Alzner & White should not be fighting and they will be told that by Kisio. They need those guys on the ice and let guys like Ryan Letts & Dan Spence fight! I didnt know J.D. Watt was sent back from Calgary? Thats supposed to be huge for Red Deer

Brandonite
09-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Ryan White is not there to scrap neither...Alzner & White should not be fighting and they will be told that by Kisio. They need those guys on the ice and let guys like Ryan Letts & Dan Spence fight! I didnt know J.D. Watt was sent back from Calgary? Thats supposed to be huge for Red Deer

Not Dan Spence, Dan Mercer! My bad

SectionNDeserter
09-23-2007, 06:47 AM

I was about 5 or 6 feet away, and it was definately not a 'flying elbow', and was more from the side than behind (he was just starting to turn). It was however one of those controversial 'hits to the head' with the shoulder that are currently legal by definition, but were so widely debated in the media and amongst NHL General Managers last season.

sbtatter
09-23-2007, 10:02 AM
White isn't there to fight but he and Dupont both do it when the situation calls for it, that's why they're good leaders on the ice

RunTheGoalie
09-23-2007, 10:19 AM
I was about 5 or 6 feet away, and it was definately not a 'flying elbow', and was more from the side than behind (he was just starting to turn). It was however one of those controversial 'hits to the head' with the shoulder that are currently legal by definition, but were so widely debated in the media and amongst NHL General Managers last season.

When a guy gets his elbow up, and leaves his feet to deliver the hit, it is a flying elbow. He did get called with elbowing. The ref could have called charging or checking from behind if he so chose.

And when it comes to someone like JD Watt, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt either. His entire career has been characterized by cheap shots. It was a typical Watt hit from a punk who can't hit clean.

SectionNDeserter
09-23-2007, 01:00 PM
When a guy gets his elbow up, and leaves his feet to deliver the hit, it is a flying elbow. He did get called with elbowing. The ref could have called charging or checking from behind if he so chose.
Ahh, sorry, I was under the impression that you actually watched the game... He didn't leave his feet, his elbow wasn't up, and it was shoulder to the side of Alzner's head against the glass. He DIDN'T get penalized for elbowing (there was only offsetting fighting majors). It was certainly a very borderline hit, but not the imaginary scenario that you are presenting.

RunTheGoalie
09-23-2007, 06:05 PM
You might want to go back through the thread and read which hit I am talking about, sparky.

I was referring to his cheap shot in Calgary.

SectionNDeserter
09-23-2007, 06:23 PM
You might want to go back through the thread and read which hit I am talking about, sparky.

I was referring to his cheap shot in Calgary.Ha ha, I didn't know he drilled him in the game the night before too, there must be some sort of bad blood there.

RebelsFan
09-23-2007, 10:03 PM
I was at the game the night before and it was not elbowing. If anything it may have been charging but Alzner lost his balance going into the boards and was falling down when Watt checked him. If Alzner got hit to the head it was only because he was falling down. Even the Hitmen fans behind us agreed. It may have been charging but that same hit is played out a dozen times a night now that the defence partner cannot obstruct the oposition forward at all. Until the NHL changes that rule and it trickles down to the WHL, the WHL defenceman will be sitting out injured as the opposition forward gets a 90 foot run at him. But it was definatley NOT elbowing. By the way, it was the first time I have seen Alzner play in a while and I thought he would be better. Maybe it was the hangover from the NHL camp but he looked very slow and bored.

RunTheGoalie
09-24-2007, 12:22 PM
It definitely was elbowing.

I would also point out that the rule where you cannot leave your feet to throw a check has been in the books for years as well.

RebelsFan
09-24-2007, 12:39 PM
If they actually called it every time a guy left his feet to deliver a hit Dorsett from Med Hat would have never been allowed in the league. Small forwards, which I am not saying Watt is , leave their feet most of the time they hit a bigger player. As soon as they start to call every small player when he leaves his feet I will agree with you. You can't only call it when a bigger player leaves his feet, which I am not saying Watt did.
It definitely wasn't elbowing. If I am attempting to check a player and he falls just as I hit him. My knee goes into his head. Is it kneeing?