PDA

View Full Version : Sep 22, 2007 - Giants 5 Silvertips 2

dondo
09-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Listened to this one on NW ...

Giants Trump 'Tips 5-2 -- VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/September_22_GiantsbkTrumpbk'Tips_141.html)

Giants Trump 'Tips

Vancouver 5 Everett 2

Don Robinson - vancouvergiantshq.com

The Giants are now 2-0 to start the season after defeating the Silvertips at home, a tough job for the G-Men most nights. The win gave the Giants only their seventh franchise regular season win at the Everett Events Centre. The game itself was pretty evenly played and I can’t decide whether the game was that chippy or Derek Herman that whistle happy as there was literally a parade to the penalty box, with Giants getting 8 opportunities and the Silvertips getting 11. Michal Repik was all over the ice tonight and garnered two assists for his trouble. Chris Cloud got his first as a Giant, as did Berube. Blum and Wuchterl got their first goals of the young season and Machacek scored an empty netter.

It was smashmouth hockey tonight as Hunt and Sonne dropped the gloves 3 seconds into the game. A lively tilt as Garet sent the message that he was on the road back to his old self. Beaatch was his usual gutless self taking on Craig Cunningham as a sparring partner, and dishing out cheap shots behind the play, why the refs don't key on this guy (as they did JD) is beyond me. Jonny Blum restored his climb up the plus ladder as he wiped out his minus from last night with a plus 2 tonight. The home squad out shot the visitors 8 - 6 in the first period as both teams played a tight game. Tyson Sexsmith had a very good night tonight robbing a couple of ‘Tips point blank when he needed it the most, the best of which was off Hamill who was the WHL scoring champ last season. The Giants relied heavily on their PK as well as their goalie to keep them in the game when they took consecutive penalties in the opening stanza, weathering a short 5 on 3 with a man advantage extending four minutes due to a Valach double minor for high sticking. The teams ended the first tied at zeros.

Beach opened the scoring early in the second for the Silvertips 2:43 into the game on a 5 on 3 PP. Hamill found Beach on the far side of the crease and Beach made no mistake putting it into the open cage. The Giants got that one back about two and half minutes later on a 5 on 3 of their own. Kane worked the puck to Kraus who found Blum wide open. Blum powered the puck past Irving tying the game. Special teams were the story of the game as the first four goals scored were on the PP. Campos put his team back up a little over a minute later. Wuchterl tied it up again mid-second and that’s how it remained until the end of the period.

Early in the third Wuchterl dropped the gloves with Beach garnering an instigator and a ten minute misconduct for sticking up for a team-mate. The Giants opened their game up in the third pressing hard in the ‘Tip end of the ice, eventually getting a lead they would not relinquish. Cloud scored his first as a Giant at 8:14. Berube increased that lead to two less than a minute later. After that the goal the game got even more chippy and after Machacek salted the game away with an empty netter with less than minute to go into the game it got simply ridiculous. Newbie coach John Becanic sent out a bunch of goons to send a message, twice. Berube and Potuer squared off, while Beach 6’3” 203 picked Cunningham 5’9” 175 as a dance partner at 19:34 and not surprisingly dominated. Then off the ensuing face-off Kane was tagged by Mistelbacher who got the upper hand early but ended up on his back as Kane came back with some hard rights. Piluso and Strong squared off as well, with a few other players getting tagged with misconducts. Kind of a juvenile way to end the game, but maybe Becanic thinks he needs to send a message to his team as well as his opponents as the Tips are 0-2 for the season so far.

The Giants out-shot the Tips 29-26. The home squad went 2 for 11 on the PP, while the visitors went 2 for 8. The Giants next game will be Wednesday in Kelowna to take on the rising Rockets.

Three Stars

1 – Dan Gendur (total homer pick imo – one assist)
2 – Jonathon Blum
3 – Michal Repik

Highlander_Yank
09-23-2007, 01:27 AM
What it came down to was the Giants brought a game to the table and our guys didn't, especially in the 3rd period. Overall, a well-deserved win for the G-Men tonight.

The penalty box parade was a combination of a physical game and Herman being a little whistle-happy. There were some ticky-tack calls, and some stuff going uncalled, both as usual, but it was pretty even-handed. No beefs about tonight's reffing from my chair!

Sexsmith had some great moments in goal. If he'd had a busier night he would have gotten a star for sure, but it's not his fault the Tips didn't get more shots off.

I'm also baffled by the star for Gendur. For him I'd think maybe a #3 star, definitely not a #1. I would have picked Repik-Blum-Valach, with the exact order subject to debate.

Class Act Award of the night goes to Lance Bouma in my book, for declining to drop the gloves with Brennan Sonne, thereby trying to defuse an already-ugly situation instead of making it even uglier. The way I saw it, Sonne was looking for a dance partner and picked on Bouma, who wasn't interested. Dunno what Bouma got tagged with the misconduct for, unless it was something he said.

My $.02 worth!

dondo
09-23-2007, 01:44 AM
I would have selected a different Tip altogether, yes even Beach. Of all the names I heard consistently pop-up during the play by play Gendur was not the most.. and yeah he should have been a third star for sure.

Also the radio said Repik had three points on the night, but the WHL box score said only two.. anybody know the real truth?

SixSixOne
09-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Kyle Beach must be the toughest guy in the WHL, I wish I had the guts to fight someone 6 inches shorter and 50 lbs lighter than me

GF71
09-23-2007, 09:18 PM
I would have selected a different Tip altogether, yes even Beach. Of all the names I heard consistently pop-up during the play by play Gendur was not the most.. and yeah he should have been a third star for sure.

Also the radio said Repik had three points on the night, but the WHL box score said only two.. anybody know the real truth?

For my money, and it pains me to say this, Beach was the best player for the Tips last night. Gendur was a bit of a head scratcher. :confused:

dondo
09-23-2007, 10:58 PM
yeah it pains me too, but that's the Tip I was thinking of -- if hearing a players name on the broadcast is any indication, he was intense at all ends of the ice, finished off a sweet feed and got under the Giants skin, until they blew the doors open in the third. Everything you want a skilled pest to be.

Highlander_Yank
09-24-2007, 12:15 PM
yeah it pains me too, but [Beach is] the Tip I was thinking of -- if hearing a players name on the broadcast is any indication, he was intense at all ends of the ice, finished off a sweet feed and got under the Giants skin, until they blew the doors open in the third. Everything you want a skilled pest to be.

I think Beach will be a different guy this season from his pesty self last year. He was the first player interviewed on the radio show this season, and he comes off as less of a hothead. Also, if the Vancouver paper is to be believed, he buried the hatchet with Lucic.

The expectations for him on the ice have changed, too. Last season, Beach was never on the penalty kill unless there was a change only a few seconds before the penalty expired. In only two games so far this year, Beach has been in on the PK several times, and not just at the end. Several times Becanic put him in at the beginning and the middle of the PK. That tells me that Becanic at least is expecting more disciplined on-ice behavior from Beach this year. PK is not the place where you want someone acting out and taking stupid penalties, so that alone tells me that Becanic is expecting better from Beach this year.

Beach may still be obnoxious on occasion and ready to drop the gloves when it's called for, but I'd be looking for a lot less outright stupidity from him this year.

Mr Haney
09-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Three Stars
1 – Dan Gendur (total homer pick imo – one assist)
2 – Jonathon Blum
3 – Michal Repik
-------------------------------
I'm also baffled by the 1st star for Gendur. For him I'd think maybe a #3 star, definitely not a #1. I would have picked Repik-Blum-Valach, with the exact order subject to debate.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I was exactly sure how to combine two different quotes so I did a C/P of the 2 above posts.

I was at the game, I did think Gendur was easily the best Tip on the ice. I do have a theory if you look at the stars and my picks were a reverse order. Repik was the best Giant and player on the ice and Blum has a solid game. Do you think they read it out wrong or wrote it down in reverse order. Cant take anything away from the kid, Everett needs to get it together. Just a theory

dondo
09-24-2007, 08:28 PM
for future reference mr haney open two windows one of them with the reply box in it. Scroll down or use the other link to find the bits you wish to quote.

c/p and then highlight the whole bit and press the quote button. if you want to be really stylish add the original posters handle above the quoted bit.

hope that helps (and makes sense) -- welcome to the boards

Its always good to hear comments from those at the game as I heard Gendur's name a few times, but not so much that I thought he was an impact player.

I still think in a 5-2 win for the visitors the home guy, unless he got both goals of course, should be relegated to the third star position .. and about your theory... I wouldn't put it past them -- it took them two days to get the box score details sorted out from the Giants Portland game on whl.ca.