PDA

View Full Version : Love Bows out Again

Tipped Off
03-14-2005, 11:23 AM
I understand we're in the Home Stretch. I understand he's our captain and feels like he needs to be on the ice. But, is anyone else getting tired of Mitch Love's antics? I can count the game Saturday, in Everett's 2-0 loss at the EEC to Portland, as the third time in a couple months Mitch has basically got a guy to drop his gloves only to lay down and try to draw the penalty instead.

I defended him the first time, accepted it the 2nd time and now have to call it what it is...a chicken crap move. It's not "smart" hockey. For all the good it might do (it didn't work this time as the ref did a good job of calling both for the same roughing penalty) it does just as much bad as it has to look bad to his team mates.

If Mitch is going to taunt a guy into going, as he did on Saturday, he needs to go. If he is going to play soft, then he needs to do that. But don't try to do this baiting tactic he's been doing. I've been very outspoken about Mitch's lackluster play this year, but until recently at least I respected him. I'm getting very close to losing that respect as well.

ihlemic10
03-14-2005, 12:07 PM
This ducking out thing is really starting to bug me too. Before when he would fight, it would pump up the crowd and the team. Now with how he does this, other fans and teams don't take him seriously to do anything now. He needs to stop this whole ducking out thing becuase soon refs will call things on him anyway for provoking the guy to fight.

Beaner
03-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Well, it's crap plain and simple.

If a ref would have the guts to give him a 10 min. misconduct for this unsportsman- like action it would put a stop to it pretty quick.

ihlemic10
03-14-2005, 01:02 PM
I think he almost needs that. I just hope it stops before the playoffs, we already take enough flak as Tips fans without him continuing this stuff.

Beaner
03-14-2005, 01:39 PM
I see he got a Fighting major last night vs. Spokane + 10 mins. but no instigator. Anyone know what happened there?

Did he actually drop the gloves and go this time?

Tipped Off
03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
It was actually against Portland. In the 3-1 Tip victory he dropped the gloves two seconds into the game against McLeod (obviously carryover from the night before). So that I don't sound biased, I'll quote here from another board (and a Portland fans account):

"Big sweater-pulling match with Love landing one or two shots to the back of Cody's head. Lot's of dancing and clutching with a slight edge to Love. Big ups to Cody for taking on another tough guy and Love for not turtling like he did with Mikkelson last night."

I only heard it on the radio, but this sounds like an unbiased opinion since it came from a Portland fan and he gave the edge to Love.

Tipped Off
03-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Here is another recap for another board of the fight on Sunday. According to "blitz" who is from Portland, OR - this is what happened:

This one started from the opening face off. Mcleod tries hard to get Loves attention as Love was on the other side of the face off group. Love finally see him and gives the approving nod. Puck and gear hits the ice and the two size each other up. The two finally come together with Mcleod getting in weak position, Love makes him pay for it with a flery of over hands and uppercuts (it is hard to tell what landed, nothing real solid, but I am sure some landed). Mcleod worked hard to regain position all fight long, throwing shots from every which direction. In Mcleod's flery he did land a couple of hard body shots and a couple of glancing head shots. This was an high energy entertaining fight with both guys tossing them hard and fast. There was no slight edge here, definate win for Love as he landed the best shots and Mcleod was in the weaker position the whole fight.

Side Note: Has Love ever been in a fight where he didn't receive a 10 min misconduct for his jersey not being tied down? Every fight I have seen him in or on the radio (4 total, I think) he has received the 10 min for his jersey. That is pretty chicken sh#t if you ask me.

Beaner
03-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Ok thanks for the info.