PDA

View Full Version : Giants promising Evolution games to work next time

N.W. Bruin
09-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Got a E-mail responce from Roger in the Giants' office and he said that the computer feed should be ready for the next Friday game (thankfully none this week). I will believe it when I hear it. I have thought of maybe heading down to Burnaby on Fridays with my radio if it comes down to it.

I guess we just live in a society that expects the best. We could have webcasts of the road games if we want though with me going back and fourth to Vancouver and Chilliwack it didn't seem like a option last season or this season. There is a breaking point in how much I can handle. Plus some of the webcasts in the first year left something to be desired.

Anyway I remember having to get scores from New Westminster Bruin road games by listening to CKNW on the hour after every hourly newscast in the evening when they announced period scores. Wouldn't know who scored though but got the scores. Goalscorers usually announced on the sportscast just before 11:00 or else got them from now (Global TV) late night sports during their news at 11;00.

dondo
09-24-2007, 08:22 PM
yeah I suppose we are a bit spoiled as sports fans with the broadcasts, but we neeeeed them :thumb:

rinkrat
09-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Anyway I remember having to get scores from New Westminster Bruin road games by listening to CKNW on the hour after every hourly newscast in the evening when they announced period scores. Wouldn't know who scored though but got the scores. Goalscorers usually announced on the sportscast just before 11:00 or else got them from now (Global TV) late night sports during their news at 11;00.

I remember listening to Jim Hughson (Bryan Couling before that) doing Kelowna Buckaroo games on my transistor radio as a young lad in Kelowna. This ain't rocket science folks.
I guess alot of it stems from the fact that 80% of the radio stations here are owned by the same corporation.

Giantsfan
09-25-2007, 08:38 AM
John McKeachie loved showing fights during his sportscast. I remember taping every night about 11:40 pm because McKeachie often showed fight after fight during each of the nights games.
I used to watch the Bruin games on Rogers cable back in the mid-late 80s & because the game was on a 1 week delay, I knew when the fights were & pieced them off. Man, was the DUB a completely different league back then! It wasn't the large money maker it is today, same with the Memorial Cup. There was also only about 1/2 of the league today. I've played in Queen's Park many times & it's hard to believe that a WHL franchise played in that rink because it's so tiny. I would guess that it's no larger than some of the rinks on the prairies.

N.W. Bruin
09-25-2007, 01:27 PM
John McKeachie loved showing fights during his sportscast. I remember taping every night about 11:40 pm because McKeachie often showed fight after fight during each of the nights games.
I used to watch the Bruin games on Rogers cable back in the mid-late 80s & because the game was on a 1 week delay, I knew when the fights were & pieced them off. Man, was the DUB a completely different league back then! It wasn't the large money maker it is today, same with the Memorial Cup. There was also only about 1/2 of the league today. I've played in Queen's Park many times & it's hard to believe that a WHL franchise played in that rink because it's so tiny. I would guess that it's no larger than some of the rinks on the prairies.

Enough seats (3,775) back than as crowds rarely were over 2,500 on most nights. Season tickets throughout the 70s in New West cost $90 up to $115 for adults and $55 to $65 for students/seniors with children under twelve were $30 to $40 during those seasons. The second Bruin franchise two seasons later almost had double the price for season tickets. There use to be wooden benches instead of the plastic seats which were put in 1974. The actual rink size is shorter than the required lengh by 15 feet. And the glass around the playing surface wasn't there the first several seasons as instead there was the metal fence and there was eighteen big posts helping to support the roof of which fourteen were removed when the renovations were done. And the league held the number of teams at 12 throughout the 70s from the expansion in 1971-72 when Vancouver and Victoria came on board and Estevan moved to New Westminster to the early 80s.

dondo
09-25-2007, 11:38 PM
now that's old school NWB :thumb:

dondo
09-26-2007, 08:20 PM
so is evolution only broadcasting Friday night games? I heard that somewhere and it really makes no sense to me. link up to evolution tonight and there's no giants game.

found it weekdays .. are only streaming feeds .. on the corus radio network

here's a link for the CFMI streaming link

Giants weekday hockey games -- listen live (http://www.rock101.com/news_sports/giants_hockey.cfm)

N.W. Bruin
09-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Live radio if you are in the Burnaby and surrounding area. Or off their server computer once it works. Monday to Thursday no live radio only computer connection to CKNW or sister stations. Saturday or Sunday live broadcast on CKNW.

dondo
09-26-2007, 11:02 PM
almost doesn't seem worth it

anyway I posted a quick link to the listen live page for the weekday feeds as I had a tough time finding the feed at first, but really its on the Giants website much more clearly than I ever expected. Maybe they are learning.

Giantsfan
09-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Well, I was working tonight, & of course I had to listen to the boring Canuck games since Toigo & co. seemed to completely miss the boat to find a suitable station to carry their week night games. I am still pissed off about this situation. Thing is, do the Giants even care? I doubt it. Couldn't be more bushed league & for such a large market & solid fan base how could they let this happen? Do they really want to push people away? It will happen. If people can't find it, they'll tune into something else. That's the thing, the Lower Mainland is a huge area, & there are many other things to do & places to spend a person's hard earned dollar.