PDA

View Full Version : Pyett prepared to take lead

nivek_wahs
09-25-2007, 08:24 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=416bd50e-8d07-4f67-82ee-f087af51d059

Pyett prepared to take lead

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Logan Pyett has always been a natural leader, but that didn't necessarily make him a natural choice for captain of the Regina Pats.

"When we drafted Logan (in 2003), I remember the first spring camp that he was at," recalled GM Brent Parker. "We were all just blown away by how the younger players gravitated to him. We all thought at that time that he could be a captain. Through his first three years there were some ups and downs and growing pains and maturing that took place. (Now) you can see how much he cares. He's at that point where we believe he's ready to lead this team."

Like all players, Pyett couldn't fulfill his potential without learning how to channel it. It was a process of trial and error for the talented defenceman, who cut some corners and bent a few rules along the way.

"Certainly I've made a few mistakes and I think I've learned from those mistakes," offered Pyett, 19. "I've matured over the years. I think I've grown to a point now where I'm ready to accept a leadership role and the responsibility."

In terms of his game, Pyett has always been ahead of the curve. That became evident when he saw a regular shift in the 2004 playoffs at age 15.

Pyett's offensive instincts continued to manifest over the next two years, but the defensive side of his game began showing signs of regression.

Amidst questions of whether he would fulfill his potential, Pyett turned the corner at age 18, a season in which he was frequently the most dominant player in the rink.

Just as important, he underwent a transformation off the ice as well.

"He really came into his own the second half of last year, understanding how he has to play every night and how he has to conduct himself and how he can lead a team in both his actions and his comments," noted Parker. "Logan was always a pretty mature guy, but immature in a respect too because he didn't know how to convey at times his desire to win. It could come across as arrogance. He had his indiscretions and mistakes at times away from the rink, like all young guys. What you want them to do is learn from it. There's no question he has done that."

Pyett's evolution as a leader has also helped elevate his game, culminating in a standout performance at the recent Canada-Russia Super Series. Although he chipped in offensively with two key goals, Pyett was more pleased with his contributions on the defensive end.

The Pats took notice, anointing him their newest captain immediately after he returned from training camp with the Detroit Red Wings.

"I tried not to be too giddy," he said with a laugh, recalling the talk with head coach Curtis Hunt. "Me and Huntsy were having a pretty serious conversation about where we wanted the team to go. I was trying not to show too much emotion, but I was obviously excited to get the chance to lead the team."

Pyett is the latest in a distinguished line of Pats captains, joining the likes of current NHLers Barret Jackman, Garth Murray and Rick Rypien. Pyett understands the responsibility associated with following their footsteps -- and being a role model for local youngsters.

After all, he was one of them.

"It's an honour and privilege to be wearing the C for the Regina Pats," said the native of Milestone, who now resides in Balgonie. "Growing up, this was the hockey team to follow. Being a local guy makes it a lot more special. There's such a rich history here and great tradition -- 90th anniversary. It's nice for me to be a part of that and follow the likes of many former great captains."

Pyett has played under several influential leaders, including Rypien, Braden Appleby, Kyle Deck and Kyle Ross. Each of those players had their own unique style -- some were cheerleaders, others were soft-spoken, some were hard-asses -- but all of them, in one way or another, led by example.

"I'll try to find a balance," added Pyett. "If something needs to be said I'll say it but I'm not going to hoot and holler too much. I'm not going to scream and yell at the guys either. It's a tight-knit group, lots of leaders in there. I know I don't have to take everything on my shoulders to help this team win."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007