PDA

View Full Version : Pats/Giants Trade

wardog fan
09-27-2007, 11:10 AM
PATS & GIANTS MAKE TRADE

Regina, Saskatchewan – Thursday, September 27th, the Regina Pats announced this morning that they have made a four player trade with the Vancouver Giants. The Regina Pats are shipping forward Mike Reich and defencemen Craig Schira to Vancouver, in exchange for forward Tim Kraus and defencemen Juraj Valach.

Reich, the native of Craik SK, has appeared in 2 games with the Pats this season, and has accumulated 7 penalty minutes. Reich (5’10”, 185lb) suited up for 61 games with the Pats last season, collecting 15 goals and 7 assists, also racking up 187 penalty minutes.

Schira, the native of Spiritwood, SK, had been with the Pats organization for 4 years, collecting a total of 68 points in 206 games played. Schira was originally drafted by Pats in 2003 WHL Bantam Draft, when he was drafted in the 6th round, 111th overall. This season, Schira had collected 1 assist in 2games played with the Pats.

In exchange, the Pats receive two players, headlined by 20-year old Tim Kraus. Kraus comes to the Pats after being the 2nd leading scorer on the Giants last season. He collected 19 goals and 47 assists for 66 points in 70 games. The 6’0”, 180lb product of Garden Grove, CA, Kraus brings a wealth of experience and scoring punch to the Pats line-up.

With the move, the Pats also fill their 2nd import roster spot by bringing in Juraj Valach, a native of Zvolen, Slovkia. 18 year-old Valach (6’6”, 210lb) is playing in his second campaign in the WHL, having collected 7 goals and 23 assists in 58 games with the Tri City Americans last season. So far this season, Valach has 1 goal and 3 assists in 2 games played with the Giants.

“We are excited about what Tim Kraus and Juraj Valach will bring to our hockey club. Having said that we are losing two talented players and tremendous young men in Craig and Mike. It is no secret that we were looking to add another scoring forward and to get top players you have to give up good players in return. I believe that this will be a good deal for both team and I wish Craig and Mike nothing but success in Vancouver and in their hockey careers” – Commented Pats General Manager Brent Parker.

The Pats next home game will be September 28th, when the Red Deer Rebels will be in town to square off with the Pats at the Brandt Centre. Game time will be 7:00pm.

patsfan33
09-27-2007, 02:20 PM
told ya'll....

oh baby is our team is STOCKED! :groovy:

nivek_wahs
09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
From Greg Harder's Slap Shots blog...

Quick analysis: The Pats get the No. 1 centre they covet in Kraus. They also replace Schira with a big, talented defenceman. I wrote a story in the Leader-Post back in the summer that the Pats wanted Kraus but didn't pull the trigger because of a reluctance to part with Schira. The inclusion of Valach was a key to the deal. Without him, the Pats' defence would have looked pretty young in a hurry, with rookies Curtis Kulchar and Alex Pym moving up the depth chart a little sooner than the Pats would have wanted.

dagley
09-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Brandon needs to respond to this trade I think, cant wait to see Kraus on Saturday evening, he's definitely a gifted player and it's ****ty that we only see Vancouver once every few years

Believer
09-27-2007, 04:13 PM
good trade to make. Definately going to improve their offense !!!

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Brandon needs to respond to this trade I think, cant wait to see Kraus on Saturday evening, he's definitely a gifted player and it's ****ty that we only see Vancouver once every few years

Brandon is off to a good start, but they are still a rebuilding team. Just because they had 2 convincing wins over toon town doesnt mean they will against teams like calgary and regina.

But if they want, they could trade something to everett for a euro, and reekie.

But as for the trade, I think that if everything pans out right for us, meaning that if Valach keeps playing well( 4 points in 2 games so far), and if Kraus isnt as lazy as all the vancouver fans say, then we won this trade very easily.

Schira is a great defenceman though. Gonna miss him, but Ross can already play schira's role and more. I dont know why they took reich, perhaps because of the potential. He might realize it, and I actually hope he does, but if he doesnt, he is just another hunt and wuchterl for Vancouver to hold on to. (Hunt - Reich - Wuchterl would be a scary line to go up against I must say.)

Here is hoping that kraus shows his worth in the regina.

Bran
09-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Good luck to both guys in Vancouver. I don't really know what the Giants want with Reich but I'll miss that crazy kid! I liked Schira, too but this makes a lot of sense for the Pats. So...who gets sent home?

hobster
09-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Nice trade for both teams pats get there 20 year old and there second euro, they will probablly waite out sauleties injury and have even more fire power, schira was a great stay at home d-man reich was a good adjitator, but kraus will light it up probablly play with ofukany on the second line with hill, first line will be mcangus eberle and leffler

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Good luck to both guys in Vancouver. I don't really know what the Giants want with Reich but I'll miss that crazy kid! I liked Schira, too but this makes a lot of sense for the Pats. So...who gets sent home?

Probably Cervany, unless he shows that he can make an impact in the league. Sending saulietis home is better for the franchise for the future, but that wouldnt be fair for kaspars. The injury was terrible luck, and shouldnt decide if he goes home or not.

Fight Guy
09-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm gonna say they will wait Saulietis out and send Cervany. Kaspars has a load of talent and once back should be able to show it. Though really, I don't know what the Pats have planned for their Euro spots. I would like to see Kaspars stay, but maybe they have plans for another 20? Who knows? We'll just have to wait it out.

Great trade though I think. We definitely just got better!

sbtatter
09-27-2007, 07:38 PM
We don't need to respond to this trade b/c we're not going to compete with Regina this year. I'd trade to get young talent for 09 and 10, not to try and be a contender this year. Calgary and Regina are the top teams this year, no doubt about it.

old_time_hockey
09-27-2007, 09:15 PM
If the real Tim Kraus shows up EVERY game, you guys got yourself one hell of a player. Best saucer passes in the Dub.

But if he does what he did last year (no showing up everynight, late to practice, thinking more of himself than team, and one time calling in sick because his GF broke up with him) he is press box material. He was sat in the Memorial Cup final in favor of a 15 yearold. That is how bad it can get with Tim.

But he showed up to Giants camp in great shape and appears to have had a major attitude change over the summer probably after a lot of soul searching.

Swando
09-28-2007, 05:47 AM
In Valach the D man you aquired, I watched him 3 times. He still hasn't found his co-ordination with his size as yet in my opinion. I think the Giants could have lived with that and watched him progress BUT he continally got caught up ice or making a pinch and that goes against a D minded coach like Don Hay.
Talent wise I think the Pats got the upper hand in this trade but as far as fitting into the team concept I hope the 2 boys we got in return excel in the Giants system of play.

nivek_wahs
09-28-2007, 09:21 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=515fde48-041f-46ad-9d51-544c27c900f7&p=2

Pats' Parker pulls the trigger

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, September 28, 2007

Tim Kraus was at the centre of a long-anticipated trade on Thursday.

Regina filled the most-glaring void in its lineup by swinging a major four-player deal with the Vancouver Giants, acquiring slick centreman Kraus, 20, along with towering Slovakian rearguard Juraj Valach, 18.

The Pats gave up stalwart defenceman Craig Schira, 19, and feisty fourth-line centre Mike Reich, 19.

As reported previously by the Leader-Post, Regina and Vancouver had been discussing a deal for Kraus since the summer, but talks stalled when the Pats refused a straight-up deal for Schira.

"We asked about Kraus's situation back at the NHL draft," explained Pats GM Brent Parker. "I thought a couple weeks ago we were a little closer to something and it just kind of went away. In the last 48 hours it came back that there might be an opportunity to make it a little bit bigger to balance it out. I think both teams were happy with where it ended up."

Upon hearing the news, Kraus and Valach jumped on a flight and arrived in Regina late Thursday afternoon. Both are expected to dress for tonight's game against the visiting Red Deer Rebels.

"I expected (a trade) to happen earlier but I kind of figured I was coming here," said Kraus, who didn't always see eye-to-eye with Giants head coach Don Hay. "It's tough to play for Don. It's his system and it has to go that way. I don't know if I'm the player that fits that system completely. I learned a lot there and I'm probably a better player for being there. It just wasn't going to work out for a fourth year."

Kraus appears to be just what the doctor ordered for the Pats, who graduated their top two centres from last season -- Kyle Ross and Garrett Festerling. A pure offensive talent, Kraus was Vancouver's second-leading scorer during the 2006-07 regular season.

"We believe he provides us with a top-end skilled forward that we really thought we needed to balance out our lines," said Parker. "He's a guy over the last two years who has averaged a point a game. He was Vancouver's top centre until they acquired Wacey Rabbit last year."

Valach, a 6-foot-6, 218-pounder, was also crucial to the deal. Without his inclusion, the loss of Schira would have sacrificed the Pats' depth on defence, making their back end too young too fast.

Valach played for Slovakia at the 2007 world junior championship and the 2006 world under-18 championship.

"He's probably better offensively than Craig is, maybe not as good defensively," said Parker. "He's a year younger. Obviously we like his size. He gives us a big body back there with a long reach. And he has a great shot."

Valach and Kraus are both looking to start fresh in Regina. Kraus found his way into Hay's doghouse last season, resulting in him being scratched from the final two games of the Memorial Cup. The sides mended fences this summer, but Kraus still wasn't surprised -- or disappointed -- to be moving on.

"If I had to stay there I was going to stay there," he said. "If they wanted to do something different I was up for that as well. Vancouver was a great place to play and we won two championships while I was there (a WHL title and Memorial Cup) but I'm very excited to have a new opportunity to finish off my career."

Valach was picked up by Vancouver this summer after demanding a trade from the Tri-City Americans. It was a bitter parting which ended in Americans GM Bob Tory telling the Tri-City Herald that Valach "blamed the team for him not being drafted" and "showed a total lack of respect to our organization and staff."

Valach said he simply wasn't happy in Tri-City -- but emphasized he is pleased to be in Regina.

"It's part of life in hockey," he said of being traded. "I'm here, I'm happy. I'm ready to play."

The Pats, for their part, aren't concerned about any past issues involving their new players.

"We did our homework," said Parker. "Every player at this age probably has a couple warts on them from somewhere along the way, but we're very comfortable with both kids. A change of scenery maybe for Tim is going to be really good for him. Valach has played really well in Vancouver and played well last year. We anticipate he'll come in and be a good player for us."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
09-28-2007, 09:23 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=af990664-adf5-4873-9b3d-ca2cb77a3d03

Parker not closing door on more deals

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post

The dealing may not be done for Brent Parker.

The Regina Pats' GM could have room to add yet another 20-year-old to the mix after parting company with import right-winger Kaspars Saulietis, who is expected to be out until after Christmas with a separated shoulder. The Pats can't afford to wait that long for a player who occupies a spot under both the overage and import quotas, so they plan to release him.

"It's unfortunate," said Parker. "We saw him as a guy who could score 20, 25 goals for us this year. To get hurt on the first shift of the year really even brought to the front moreso that we needed to get some additional offensive help."

The Pats did just that, acquiring centre Tim Kraus in a four-player deal with the Vancouver Giants on Thursday. He becomes the team's second 20-year-old, joining left-winger Troy Ofukany.

Teams have until Oct. 11 to declare their three overage players, leaving the Pats a window of opportunity. The Tri-City Americans and Kootenay Ice are among the teams with an excess of 20-year-olds.

"If something comes available to us that we see makes sense, then we'll look at it, but we don't need to rush into it," said Parker. "Maybe it's something that happens at the deadline, maybe before that. Maybe it doesn't happen at all. I'm not adverse to going forward with the lineup we have right now, that's for sure."

The unknown part of the equation is enforcer Myles Stoesz, who's with the AHL's Chicago Wolves and is expected to remain in the pro ranks this season. If he was to suddenly return, Regina's overage quota would be full.

"We'll wait and see what happens," added Parker. "We're anticipating he's going to get opportunities to stay and play pro but we'd very much welcome him if he came back."

Saulietis, acquired in a six-player deal with the Kelowna Rockets last season, had 19 goals and 34 points in 59 games as a WHL rookie last season. He will return home to Latvia, where he's expected to play professionally when he recovers from his injury. His departure leaves the Pats with newly acquired defenceman Juraj Valach and rookie Rudolf Cerveny as their two imports -- for now. Cerveny was a healthy scratch in each of Regina's first two games.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
09-28-2007, 09:48 AM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=8397c4be-5a75-4aee-84de-da79191285e4

Amazing that Kraus lasted for four years
Slick centre 'stifled' by coach Hay's style

Gary Kingston, Vancouver Sun

The amazing aspect of Tim Kraus's four years as a Vancouver Giant wasn't the flashes of offensive brilliance that left fans and management salivating for more.

It was that the California kid with the chip on his shoulder and sly smirk actually lasted four seasons. The enigmatic Kraus, 20, was traded Thursday -- inevitable was the most common reaction -- along with Slovakian defenceman Juraj Valach, 18, to the Regina Pats for a pair of 19-year-olds, rock-solid defenceman Craig Schira and gritty centre Mike Reich.

It leaves the defending Memorial Cup champion Giants, off to a 3-0 start this season, with two openings -- one for a 20-year-old, the other for a European import.

"We're going to wait and see what happens with our guys in pro camps and see what shakes loose," said GM Scott Bonner.

That group includes forwards Keenan McArdle (Florida) and Mario Bliznak (Vancouver) and defencemen Cody Franson (Nashville) and Brendan Mikkelson (Anaheim).

"If we're lucky we might get one back," said Bonner.

Kraus, who tallied 60 goals and 106 assists in 244 regular-season WHL games, was in and out of the doghouse during his time in Vancouver. In his rookie season, the Garden Grove, Calif., native was sent home before the playoffs for disciplinary reasons related to school work.

Last season, an ineffective Kraus was sat down for the final two games of the Memorial Cup. He did have a hip pointer and shoulder problems, but Kraus insisted he could have played and should have been given the chance.

"Obviously, at the time I blew up and didn't deal with it the way I should have," said Kraus.

After that incident, he figured a trade was inevitable and he wasn't the least bit surprised to hear he'd been dealt to the Pats.

Despite butting heads with head coach Don Hay over the consistency of his work ethic and style of play, Kraus said he harboured no ill will towards Hay.

"I liked him, learned a lot from him. And I think he liked me, but I wanted to play one way and he wanted me to play another way. This is my last year [in junior], a do-or-die year for me. I should get a little more leeway to create offensively with [Regina] and put up some numbers."

Kraus said he was stifled by Hay's system and frustrated at seeing skilled players like Jason Reese, Ty Morris and David Rutherford be "huge point getters" after getting traded away.

Hay said he had a lot of "good chats" with Kraus over the last three years, but said the slick centre was frustrating to coach.

"One game, he's our top forward, at another time he's our worst forward. He did a lot of good things right to be here for four years, but a change will be good. Both teams are getting something they want and need."

For the Giants, that's the six-foot, 200-pound Schira, a Spiritwood, Sask., native who has nine goals and 58 assists in 206 regular-season games and who played for Canada at the world under-18 championships in 2006.

"I was definitely shocked [by the trade], but definitely happy," said Schira. "This is a good organization to go to, lots of good history, good players and a good coaching staff."

Both Schira and Reich, a former first-round bantam pick who has 408 penalty minutes to go with 24 goals in 163 career games, will be in the lineup Saturday when the Giants face Kelowna in their home opener.

gkingston@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

nivek_wahs
09-28-2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=1cea854c-abad-4ea7-887c-df5351cbfe42

Kraus: 'It was just a matter of when'
Giants: Enigmatic centre is the centrepiece of four-player trade with Regina

Steve Ewen, The Province

Despite the best of intentions, Tim Kraus and the Vancouver Giants were destined to split.

The enigmatic centre met his inevitable conclusion Thursday, as the Giants dealt him and defenceman Juraj Valach to the Regina Pats for defenceman Craig Schira and centre Mike Reich.

"I did know that it was coming sooner or later," Kraus, 20, said of his end with the Giants after four-plus years with the WHL club. "It was just a matter of when.

"What can I say? I'm disappointed that it didn't work out in Vancouver, but I was happy that I wanted it to work out. After what happened last season, I could have just packed it in and told them that I wanted out of there right away. I tried my hardest to make it work."

What happened last season was that coach Don Hay, frustrated with up and down play from Kraus, scratched the veteran, who had been his No. 1 centre for a chunk of the year, for the final two games of the Memorial Cup.

Whether Kraus did enough to show that he still wanted to be in Vancouver is open to interpretation. He worked out fiendishly over the summer with strength and conditioning coach Ian Gallagher and showed up to camp in the best shape of his career, and he said all the right things about fitting in.

Both Hay and general manager Scott Bonner talked up, too, how they could make things work with Kraus.

Bonner had asked Kraus after the season for a list of teams in the Eastern Conference he would report to, and Kraus responded with the Pats and the Calgary Hitmen. Schira was one of the names that Bonner asked about initially, but, by all accounts, the trade talk died down at training camp.

Kraus didn't stick out on the ice during exhibition play as much as someone with his talent could and he trash-talked a referee enough to get tossed out in the early stages of a preseason game against the Chilliwack Bruins.

Hay did give Kraus considerable power play minutes, but didn't automatically put him back on the No. 1 line during even strength play, instead wanting him to earn his way back to prime-time ice alongside Craig Cunningham and Garet Hunt on a grinding unit.

In the end, it wasn't working. Vancouver needed a top-four defenceman and, with the Tri-City Americans reportedly looking to ship one of their extra overages to Regina for a rearguard, Bonner pounced.

Kraus was well aware of the talks, since the Pats had been given permission by the Giants to talk to his agent regarding whether he'd report. Valach's agent was also contacted about the same thing, so the 18-year-old off-season pick-up from the Americans knew, too, before Giants brass made it official to he and Kraus after Wednesday's 2-1 win in Kelowna.

"The hardest part is saying goodbye to the guys," said Kraus, who flew out of Vancouver Thursday afternoon. "It's still hard to talk about now."

- - -

© The Vancouver Province 2007

nivek_wahs
09-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Here's a picture of the newest Pats from the Leader Post...

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Im surprised by the release of saulietis, and I think that it isnt really all that fair to kaspars, but in the long run, its better for the team. We have room for another OA on the team, maybe a guy like Bauer from Kootenay, or the odd OA out of tri.

I enjoyed watching kaspars "work his magic", just like any other crafty euro. I will miss watching him, but it is best for the team. It was very unfortunate for him though. Think about it. He worked all off season, trained hard for a do or die year in north america, and he gets injured on the first shift, first hit, sidelined, and then sent home with broken dreams. Talk about bad luck. :dead:

I hope he has unlimited success in the euro pro leagues.

EDIT: Now that Schira is gone, who gets his "A"? I think its either Ross or Ofukany.

nivek_wahs
09-28-2007, 04:55 PM
from Greg Harder's Slap Shots

First impressions on the two newest members of the Regina Pats, C Tim Kraus and D Juraj Valach:
Kraus is thrilled to be here and can’t wait for a fresh start after a strained co-existence with Giants head coach Don Hay. Kraus reportedly worked his butt off in the summer to get into the best shape of his life. He seems eager to prove he can fit in with the Pats and be a major contributor. By all accounts, a motivated Kraus is a force to be reckoned with.
Valach was more disappointed to leave Vancouver than Kraus but he’s saying all the right things about his new team. If Pats head coach Curtis Hunt can light a fire under the towering rearguard, he could add another dangerous weapon to Regina’s already potent blueline. Valach’s English is decent, so communication shouldn’t be a huge issue. It remains to be seen if past reports of an attitude problem surface in Regina.
Asked why he demanded a trade from the Tri-City Americans this summer, Valach explained he didn’t like his billets or the city and simply didn’t feel comfortable there. Tri-City GM Bob Tory took some parting shots at Valach after the deal, but there’s two sides to every story. The Pats are giving him the benefit of the doubt.

GF71
09-28-2007, 06:30 PM
A motivated Kraus is a force to be reckoned with is right. Tim is VERY anxious to show everybody what he can really do on a consistant basis. EASILY one of the, if not THE best passer in the league. For sure he was the best set up man the Giants ever saw, including the likes of Brule and Courchaine. Barring any injury Tim will be in the top five in scoring at the end of the year without a doubt. For all of you in Regina, watch is stick work and check out the saucer passes. He has far better vision and hockey sence than what most realise. Yep, he can be moody, but when he is on, look out. Enjoy!