PDA

View Full Version : Blades Alberta swing

hobster
09-27-2007, 04:38 PM
The Blades hit alberta this weekend for 3 games in 3 nights whats realistic for this team. Colton Gilles will be back for saturdays game against the hurricanes so that should help out, i think if the Blades can somehow come back with 3 points that would be nice, i think they have to win in med hat on friday and take it from there, ride Holtby for the first 2 games and let Zemlak play against the Ice on sunday. :thumb:

nivek_wahs
09-28-2007, 09:38 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=8a50aca8-3ff8-4b43-8295-9b2840dd0491

Spirits high as Blades head out on road trip

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, September 28, 2007

Thanks to DJ Dustin Cameron, the Saskatoon Blades' dressing room was pulsing with underground hip-hop and twangy country prior to Thursday's practice.

"When the guys came to the rink, spirits were up and the mood was good," said centre Chris Durand, who netted the winner Wednesday in a 5-4 victory over the Moose Jaw Warriors. "There's finally some music in the room, so it's a nice change from the past couple of days."

The Blades also learned Thursday that Colton Gillies is running back to Saskatoon. The Minnesota Wild reassigned the 18-year-old winger to junior, but he'll miss tonight's game in Medicine Hat to complete a suspension from last season.

The Blades (1-2-0-0) continue their journey with games Saturday in Lethbridge, and Sunday in Cranbrook, B.C., against the Kootenay Ice.

"The best thing we can do is just worry about (tonight), get a win and then keep going day-to-day," said Durand. "We're not in a position to take nights off and we have to start putting some momentum together. We have to have everyone going."

The Blades showed a vast improvement in their intensity Wednesday. Even Slovakian winger Robert Brandis, who's far from pugilistic by nature, initiated a scrap with Moose Jaw defenceman Ryan Stanton. Linesmen intervened before punches were exchanged, but the Blades certainly played with more of an edge. Captain Justin McCrae got his nose dirty and was rewarded with four points, while defenceman Sam Klassen delivered the hit of the night when he dumped Martin Filo into the Saskatoon bench.

"We knew ourselves that we didn't bring it the first two games," said Durand, whose team was swept by the Brandon Wheat Kings on opening weekend. "We made sure that everyone was going (Wednesday), everyone was lively on the bench, and we just tried follow up one good shift with another."

Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken advised his players to take confidence from the victory and move on.

"That game is over with and it's a new challenge come (tonight)," said Molleken. "That's one of the toughest buildings to play in because of the atmosphere that the fans create and the style that the Tigers play."

The Tigers (1-0-1-0) split a series with the Lethbridge Hurricanes on opening weekend. After a 4-3 overtime loss in Lethbridge, the Tigers returned home to post a 4-2 win.

BLADE BITS: LW Cody Wutzke (concussion) is the lone Blade not expected to make the trip . . . Through three games, Blades LW Derek Hulak is tied for third in league scoring with one goal and five assists. Tri-City Americans C Kruise Reddick, a product of Manor, Sask., leads the pack with a goal and seven helpers.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

BLADES' ROAD SCHEDULE

- Tonight: Blades at Tigers, 7:30 p.m.

- Saturday: Blades at Hurricanes, 7 p.m.

- Sunday: Blades at Kootenay, 6 p.m.

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

howley
09-29-2007, 09:03 AM
I wasn't able to listen or watch the game last night. ANyone have any thoughts. Will Hulak be suspended? Fined 10 dollars from his allowance? I see that Brandis fought. Was it actually a fight. It is refreshing to see 5 mins beside a Euro from the Blades. I'm just wondering if it was more of a tussle. How did holtby look, etc. Anyone?

Trav
09-29-2007, 09:24 AM
against the Blades by the sound of it on the radio which is no surprise. This is what I think the Blades need, more speed up front. That likely resulted in quite a few powerplays for the Tigers.

Seeing a 20 sit out for the second time as a healthy scratch is quite odd but I dont think its a surprise. I'll be surprised if Pattersson is still here after the OA deadline.

Hope Molleken is able to make some more moves and get some speedy guys in.

Douglas
09-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Brandis was in a very short fight indeed, just a few swings for a few seconds, then into a cluch and hold. Brandis was getting the jersy up on the tiger when it was broken up. As far as his effort, was the only time I noticed him. In terms of the game, it was the greater speed of the Tigers showing up as the difference between the two teams. The Tigers power play was strong, and should have netted a few more goals but for Holtby who I thought played a great game.

I felt that the Tigers wanted the win more that the Blades did. Elliott was the best Blade D man. Klotz needs to step it up.

howley
09-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Well were sitting 0-2 and the Alberta swing...unless something drastically changed in the last 30 seconds of tonights game. I listened to it in one ear and people in the other (according to that sentance I'm not so good in social settings). Anyways, to top it all off I had to say a little prayer for a beloved play by play man Mr. Les Lazaruk as I was convinced he actually was having a heart attack on the air between the first and the second. Other conclusions I drew during my night : He swallowed a fly, was smoking in the booth, had that thing where vomit comes half way up your throat, had that thing where vomit comes all the way up your throat and out your mouth, drank some bad coffee or swallowed the microphone. I'm hoping to find out what actually happened. Les I know you read this...

To those that don't know....I'm a rink manager for the winter which means I have a crazy amount of time to think sitting at the rink in the evenings. Hence...my theory's on the infamous "cough attack."

canes77
09-30-2007, 02:15 AM
For any of you Blades fans interested :D

Tonight was a sloppy game against the Canes, the teams worked hard but neither team's offense had much flow during 5 on 5...a lot of hitting though which is good and something not seen much by the Canes...I think it could have been 6-5 or something if it werent for the two good goalies in net...Holtby being in the right spot at the right time, while Metsola on the Canes had to be lucky and make a few scrambling/diving saves along with a couple pucks hitting the posts...It didnt seem like the Blades outshot us as the puck was on the Canes' sticks more (we play more puck possesion and wait for the right shot, while Sask would take any shot they could), I think Sask could have just as easily won the game.

I have some questions for Blades fans about 3 players...partly since I dont watch your team much, being in a different div...

Does Gillies fight much? I know he is a feisty/energy player but Im not sure if he scraps a lot...I ask just because he laid out a hit tonite and then got jumped by one of the Canes (who's about the same size as him), only to tussle for a few seconds before receiving a huge punch sending him to his knees somewhat dazed.

Zahn laid out a few solid hits, but I was surprised that he backed out of a fight from two different Canes who thought the hits werent good, the first being a known fighter but the 2nd later on in the game, he rarely gets into a fight...unless Zahn has a broken knuckle, I was surprised he wouldnt drop the gloves...especially since he looks fairly big and would talk back to each guy after the linesmen came in.

Also, Phelp looks like a huge kid, and I would have liked to have seen him fight the new power forwward Weins we just traded for...but sadly the linesmen broke it up since there was less than 10 seconds left in the game im guessing...I missed how it started since it was behind the play.

Thanks folks, and it may sound like Im making those players look bad, but I dont mean that at all...
Take care, good luck tonite in Kootenay, 3 games in 3 nights is tough, the Canes gotta do it as well.

Trav
09-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Gillies has fought before I believe but since he's supposed to be one of the Blades offensive leaders,he's probably told not to fight and spend five minutes in the box and same with Zahn. He's one of the Blades better d-men so the Blades need him out on the ice and not in the bxx either. Thats my guess. Philp will fight though.

bladesvoice
09-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Well were sitting 0-2 and the Alberta swing...unless something drastically changed in the last 30 seconds of tonights game. I listened to it in one ear and people in the other (according to that sentance I'm not so good in social settings). Anyways, to top it all off I had to say a little prayer for a beloved play by play man Mr. Les Lazaruk as I was convinced he actually was having a heart attack on the air between the first and the second. Other conclusions I drew during my night : He swallowed a fly, was smoking in the booth, had that thing where vomit comes half way up your throat, had that thing where vomit comes all the way up your throat and out your mouth, drank some bad coffee or swallowed the microphone. I'm hoping to find out what actually happened. Les I know you read this...

To those that don't know....I'm a rink manager for the winter which means I have a crazy amount of time to think sitting at the rink in the evenings. Hence...my theory's on the infamous "cough attack."

But thanks Howley for the kind thoughts and prayers. For whatever reason, I swallowed hard during the first intermission, only to have what I swallowed go down my windpipe. That let to coughing, choking, gasping, etc. It probably sounded worse than it was. Once I was able to croak out a call for a commercial break...a few hard coughs and some water was able to rectify the situation. Now, if only a few hard coughs and some water could cure the Blades of their scoring ills. That's the only problem in the last two games...0-for-15 on the power play, complete with goalposts, shots missing the net, bad bounces and not getting to the scoring areas around the net. A little more drive is needed for the latter to happen...probably the biggest thing that is needed.
Take away the first two games and the Blades have shown me they are competitive and capable of winning games if they can score. I noticed there was a comment on my blog on the Blades' website where a fan was wondering if the problem was behind the bench. Take it from me, I have 28 years in sports media and changing the coach is the easiest thing to do. You can fire one coach but you can't fire 26 players. Coaching isn't the problem here. If anything, after a very weak start against Brandon, coaching got the team on track and their efforts have been very good in the last three games. What coaching can't do is execute on the ice. Their game plan and systems, if followed, can put them into position to succeed, but, ultimately, once the players take the ice, they either execute the game plan or they lose! That's where the Blades are at the last two nights. The players haven't "tuned out" Lorne Molleken...if anything they are working hard to execute his coaching, but a lack of scoring has left them at 1-and-4! We'll see what happens tonight, but if there are any changes forthcoming, it'll be to the line-up and the players on the ice, not behind the bench and in the G.M. chair! This isn't the N.H.L., a change now means writing this season off, and possibly another two or three seasons in a row!! Just my thoughts, take them for what you will!

Les Lazaruk

sbtatter
09-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Gillies has fought before I believe but since he's supposed to be one of the Blades offensive leaders,he's probably told not to fight and spend five minutes in the box and same with Zahn. He's one of the Blades better d-men so the Blades need him out on the ice and not in the bxx either. Thats my guess. Philp will fight though.
Zahn put an ugly, cheep knee out on Schenn here in bdn last week and Louis went right over and pounded the crap out of Zahn. After attempting a punch Zahn just covered up and cowered, eventually Louis stopped punching thanks to the mercy rule. I think Zahn better learn that if you're going to put out dirty hits you'd better learn to fight, or be a punching bag as he was here!!

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Zahn put an ugly, cheep knee out on Schenn here in bdn last week and Louis went right over and pounded the crap out of Zahn. After attempting a punch Zahn just covered up and cowered, eventually Louis stopped punching thanks to the mercy rule. I think Zahn better learn that if you're going to put out dirty hits you'd better learn to fight, or be a punching bag as he was here!!
Why is there any need for this? The games are done with and Brandon won both,so why bring up something that really means nothing now? I love how other teams fans in the east division think that the Blades have a bunch of dirty goons on their team. Please just leave this entire thing alone for now,because I do not need something else to argue about,after all the Blades are 1-4 if anything you guys should be happy.

booboo
09-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Somewhere along the line the Blades have been over-rated for this season. They are too slow on defence and lack scoring. Changes will need to be made if they lose their 3rd game of the Alberta swing.

GBG BLEED BLUE
09-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Somewhere along the line the Blades have been over-rated for this season. They are too slow on defence and lack scoring. Changes will need to be made if they lose their 3rd game of the Alberta swing.
Yes this is very true,there is still a lot of hockey to be played and time to make the changes that are necessary for success in the future.

howley
09-30-2007, 12:14 PM
How much of it can be blamed on Chemistry issues? When you look over the roster (I don't know the numbers right off) I'm going to bet 65-70% of the players have not been in a Blades uni before or have played together before. How many losses in a row can be excused because of chemistry though?

Gillies doesn't fight
Zahn is young and inexperienced in the haymaker department and would not be considered a "dirty" player by any team in the league.
Philip will fight

Trav
09-30-2007, 12:27 PM
not that I don't ever disagree with him because I do, right Les lol. There was a moment awhile ago where I wondered the same thing that I'm sure a couple of others have and that is does Molleken need to go? No he doesn't, he just needs to find someone that can score and a couple of d-men, just my opinion.

I do question why nobody from the Blades stands in front of the net on the power play. Maybe they have on the road but that was one of the differences in the home opener I thought, the Wheaties were buzzing around the net, the Blades well they didnt get to close to the net all nite long.

I hope Molleken make a couple changes, find some speedy scoring forwards and upgrade the defense cuz thats the weak point. Holtby is doing his job from the sound of it.

sbtatter
09-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Why is there any need for this? The games are done with and Brandon won both,so why bring up something that really means nothing now? I love how other teams fans in the east division think that the Blades have a bunch of dirty goons on their team. Please just leave this entire thing alone for now,because I do not need something else to argue about,after all the Blades are 1-4 if anything you guys should be happy.
Hey, Canes77 commented on Zahn and wondered why he wasn't fighting. I just relayed what happened with Zahn here in Brandon. I'll put forward my opinion if I choose to, just as anyone else can. Zahn through a cheap knee, and paid the price for it. I don't think the Blades rival PA for having goons, in fact the Blades just need to concentrate on working together and competing as a team. the season is young and they have plenty of time to turn this horrible start around.

sbtatter
09-30-2007, 12:49 PM
not that I don't ever disagree with him because I do, right Les lol. There was a moment awhile ago where I wondered the same thing that I'm sure a couple of others have and that is does Molleken need to go? No he doesn't, he just needs to find someone that can score and a couple of d-men, just my opinion.

I do question why nobody from the Blades stands in front of the net on the power play. Maybe they have on the road but that was one of the differences in the home opener I thought, the Wheaties were buzzing around the net, the Blades well they didnt get to close to the net all nite long.

I hope Molleken make a couple changes, find some speedy scoring forwards and upgrade the defense cuz thats the weak point. Holtby is doing his job from the sound of it.
Would Yeo or Louis as O/A d-men be of any help to the Blades? I doubt we'll trade to a divisional rival, but stranger things have happened!!