PDA

View Full Version : Darcy Robinson passed away in Italy...

Trav
09-27-2007, 08:18 PM
while playing hockey at the age of 26.

I went to school with Darcy and had some classes with him, he was a great guy, pretty comical, always made everyone in the class laugh. He was also a good player for the Blades. Struggled at first but he didnt give up and got better. Man its just so weird when u hear bout a guy that u went to school with pass away just like that and at a young age to. Shows ya that we never know when our last breath will be.

My sympathies go to his family and friends.

hobster
09-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Yes Darcy was a great leader and a great guy, his mom always had the boys over when the blades made there west coast trip throgh kamloops for turkey supper feast,thoughts and prayers go out to the Robinson familly.

dagley
09-27-2007, 08:41 PM
condolences sent to the family.

Brandonite
09-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Anybody know exactly what happened?

howley
09-28-2007, 01:09 AM
heart attack during the game, was not hit or anything, just fell to the ice mid play from what I've heard. 26 years old and obviously in decent shape...incidents like these always put things into persepctive just a little bit more. If only we could live life with those thoughts all the time and not just the days following tragic events such as this.

Shortys
09-28-2007, 09:11 AM
By Cory Wolfe, TheStarPhoenix.com
Published: Thursday, September 27, 2007

Former Saskatoon Blades defenceman Darcy Robinson died suddenly Thursday while playing for Asiago of the Italian Hockey League. He was 26.

Robinson collapsed without being hit during the first period of the season-opener versus Renon, according to a statement released by Asiago. He died soon after at a local hospital.

The Kamloops native played 3 1/2 seasons with the Blades, beginning in 1997. He was traded to the Red Deer Rebels in early-2001 and helped his new team win the Memorial Cup that spring.

Darcy Robinson played with the Blades until 2001, when he dealt to Red Deer and helped the Rebels win a Memorial Cup championship.

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Colby Armstrong lived with Robinson during their junior days in Red Deer. They were also teammates with Pittsburgh's top farm team, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.

"He was a great guy," said Armstrong, a Saskatoon product.

"I don't know if anyone could ever say anything bad about him. He got along with everyone. He was an up-front and honest guy. If he saw something he didn't like, he'd let you know right off the bat."

Armstrong good-naturedly described Robinson as "kind of a clown sometimes." However, the 6-foot-3 defenceman worked hard at his craft, added Armstrong.

"Winning the Memorial Cup was something great to share with him," said Armstrong. "I played my first year of pro with him, too."

Robinson was 16 when he debuted with the Blades. The team picked him 23rd overall in the 1996 bantam draft.

"He was a fine young guy," said Blades president Jack Brodsky. "He was always friendly and he always had a smile on his face. He was well-liked by everyone.

"One year we were in Kamloops and his folks had the whole team over for supper. They're a great family and nobody could dislike Darcy because he was a genuine guy."

Robinson was beginning his second season with Asiago.

A cause of death was not immediately released.

My condolences to the family...