PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with the Tips?

dagley
09-29-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm not here to bash, just wondering why Everett has started the season so slow?

Bruins_Booster
09-29-2007, 11:47 AM
IMHO, I think it's got alot to do with the system Becanic brings compared to the Constantine era. With a good goaltender like Irving, he looked that much better when the trap was set up in front of him. Now the Tips will have some growing pains and will need to adjust. Another thing...it's only 3 games in...and there's trades to be made with the Tips. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, just trying to give my 2¢. I think that they'll find their legs, but it'll take awhile.

Eye.Of.The.Tiger
09-30-2007, 05:55 PM
IMHO, I think it's got alot to do with the system Becanic brings compared to the Constantine era. With a good goaltender like Irving, he looked that much better when the trap was set up in front of him. Now the Tips will have some growing pains and will need to adjust. Another thing...it's only 3 games in...and there's trades to be made with the Tips. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, just trying to give my 2¢. I think that they'll find their legs, but it'll take awhile.

Agreed, the Tips have been playing a defensive system from the moment they came into the dub, Its going to take some time to adjust to a brand new style of hockey. Although i think Irving has been awful so far he'll turn it around and look for the team to follow suit

Redwic
09-30-2007, 08:16 PM
The Silvertips currently have SIX overagers, including one (Fiala) that is a Euro. Unfortunately, Fiala is one of three Euros currently on the roster. The team has used a different lineup for each of the first few games, because of this OA/ EURO mess. Once the team's lineup gets finalized, at until/unless some mid-season trades are done, things might be bumpy for a little while.

In the OA situation, Crowley & Gendur look like locks to be two of the allowed three OAs. That leaves one spot open for Campos, Reekie, Sonne, and Fiala.

-> Of those four players, Campos is most definitely gone.
-> Reekie is a top-notch goaltender, and really should be a starting goaltender for a team during his last WHL season. However, few teams are out there with a need for a 20-year old goaltender right now. At least with the Reekie situation, the Silvertips do not need to decide anything at the immediate moment, as the team has been granted a temporary exemption until Reekie recovers from mono. Even after Reekie recovers, the team will most likely only keep him if Irving is still floundering at that time.
-> Sonne has been a team leader, gritty player, and money in the shootout. The possible downside for him is that the team already has other players who fill those categories.
-> Fiala has the most talent & scoring abilities of the Silvertips' OA forwards, but he is also a triple-whammy in regards to him being on the roster: He is an OA, EURO, and seems to be regularly prone to injury (i.e. he has missed 38% of WHL games due to injuries). Additionally, after he made an abrupt departure from the team just prior to the playoffs last season, many of the players, personnel, and fans thought of him (and perhaps still do) as a quitter.

Having Fiala in the mix has also jumbled the Euro situation. Karamnov is highly talented, and is a lock for one of the two Euro spots. That leaves Fiala and Vartovnik, who has continued to develop into a very good player. Since Fiala's return, the team has been playing him & Vartovnik in each game, and not Karamnov, probably to help decide which player to keep and/or to show other teams their skills.
------------

One other thing: When Becanic took over as head coach, he said that his coaching style should help open-up the offense while maintaining the defensive discipline that the Silvertips have been known for. So far, the offense *has* opened up a little, even with a jumbled lineup in each game, but the defense has looked horrible. The defense, thus far, has been non-aggressive and terribly out of position for most of the time. Consider, too, that several of the defensemen are basically rookies.

There will be some growing pains until the OA & EURO situations are sorted out. Until then, it will mainly be a one-line offense and power-play show.
Last season, the team started on-fire and then flamed-out by the time of the playoffs. This season, the team might be starting slow but might also gradually gain momentum towards the playoffs as the players continue to gel & grow accustomed to a new coaching system.

Bruins_Booster
09-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Well said Redwic.... applause
Hoping things get sorted out down there, but not too sorted out for when we face you, OK?

Highlander_Yank
10-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Well said Redwic.... applause
Hoping things get sorted out down there, but not too sorted out for when we face you, OK?

When that time comes, my girlfriend and I will be looking forward to seeing Espo and Campos play. :groovy:

Bruins_Booster
10-04-2007, 10:10 PM
When that time comes, my girlfriend and I will be looking forward to seeing Espo and Campos play. :groovy:

...and you guys will have an identity crisis on your hands as we have three former Tips here. :)

Man, do I miss Meropoulis' gritty play since his hand was broken in the TriCities game!

Looking forward to seeing Campos play tomorrow night in the Rink on Renfrew.

nelson951
10-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Can't figure it out but enjoy it while it lasts

HAF
10-06-2007, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=Bruins_Booster

Man, do I miss Meropoulis' gritty play since his hand was broken in the TriCities game!

I thought he broke it on Scott Gabriels head?

Bruins_Booster
10-06-2007, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=Bruins_Booster]

I thought he broke it on Scott Gabriels head?

YUP! Saw that fight. Meropoulis usually isn't a fighter, and is a 3rd line grinder.

LinkGaetzFan
10-07-2007, 11:28 PM
I hated Constantine with a passion, and I feel sorry for those players who matured in his outdated style of play.

Every team goes through slumps. I guess we will see who the real Everett fans are if they have a sub par year.

Swando
10-21-2007, 03:33 AM
Just finished watching the Giants defeat the Tips 3-2. It's been a long time for the Giants fans to enjoy leaving the rink after playing the Tips..
My theory of what is wrong with the Tips is this:

Peter Mueller(sp sorry)... is missing. The Tips are still the same team that I know. Love the PP and crowd the net on a PK. The Tips are very talented offensively compared to what I have seen in the 1st 12 games vs the Giants.
Last year Mueller killed us and several other teams on the PP. It was as if Constantine would say lets trap until the PP..Mueller scores and then trap again or lets get into a shootout and Mueller will score and Irving will save and we win. The Tips D skates nicely but seems to be prone to cough up the puck under presssure and heavy forechecking.
From watching the game tonight I thought the Tips were better in the skill department by far but got outworked by a disiplined Giants team with better coaching and team approach. I think Beach is a great player but also a detriment to the team in a few ways. He could be a leader but chooses to be a loose cannon as well. Others watch him and say if he can do it so can I. Just my thots. Lets have a great season

Swando
10-21-2007, 03:38 AM
Just finished watching the Giants defeat the Tips 3-2. It's been a long time for the Giants fans to enjoy leaving the rink after playing the Tips..
My theory of what is wrong with the Tips is this:

Peter Mueller(sp sorry)... is missing. The Tips are still the same team that I know. Love the PP and crowd the net on a PK. The Tips are very talented offensively compared to what I have seen in the 1st 12 games vs the Giants.
Last year Mueller killed us and several other teams on the PP. It was as if Constantine would say lets trap until the PP..Mueller scores and then trap again or lets get into a shootout and Mueller will score and Irving will save and we win.
The Tips D skates nicely but seems to be prone to cough up the puck under presssure and heavy forechecking.
From watching the game tonight I thought the Tips were better in the skill department by far but got outworked by a disiplined Giants team with better coaching and team approach. I think Beach is a great player but also a detriment to the team in a few ways. He could be a leader but chooses to be a loose cannon as well. Others watch him and say if he can do it so can I. Hey but the kid is only 17..wish we had him...Just my thots. Lets have a great season

b1kem1ke
10-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Reason #1: Beach and Potuer. Two of my favorite players, but they have almost 2 hrs of penalty minutes (combined) in just 11 games. If they were on the ice, we might not have 13 pp goals against us.

Reason #2: Mueller and Gutierrez. 56 goals and 77 assists (combined) last year. Mueller is too good and Gutierrez too old for WHL.

Reason #3: The team has a lot of excellent players, but need a bit of time to get it together with the new lines and coaching.

P.S. Can't wait for the Bruins game!