PDA

View Full Version : Sep 29 Giants 5 Rockets 0

dondo
09-30-2007, 02:23 AM
a long and rather involved recap, but worth the read I believe as it'll give you all the details of the game and feeling for what it was like being there sitting in a seat.

enjoy
D

Giants Douse Rockets Sep 29 - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/September_29_GiantsbkDousebkRockets_144.html)

Giants Douse Rockets
Vancouver 5 Kelowna 0

Don Robinson - vancouvergiantshq.com

After sweeping their road trip to start the season the Giants were eager to get back home, raise a few banners and continue playing Giants hockey. The 12000 strong that showed up for their home opener got the opportunity to see more than a few new guys in traditional Giants burgundy garb and were not disappointed with what they saw. The home team embarrassed the visitors out-shooting them 16-0 in the first period and continuing that dominance throughout the game holding the Rockets to single digits in shots at just nine, ending the tally at 48-9. Sexsmith was not busy in the least, but made a couple of good stops to preserve the goose-egg, his 11th in a Giants uni.

Man it was good to get back to the rink, the much better souvenir banner (why the hell they couldn’t figure this out for last year still boggles my mind, but whatever), the low-key banner raising and even the local IATSE crew lamely hoisting the crooked banners stiltingly to the ceiling sent shivers down my spine. It was a pretty shoddy banner raising in execution, but pretty damn sweet seeing those banners go to the rafters, I must say. Garet Hunt got the biggest cheer during the intros of the team, closely followed by Repik and Machacek, with honourable mention going to Blum and I couldn’t help wonder “who are these other players?” I saw more than a few preseason tilts, but really did not have a strong idea of the team we had or how the new bits would fit into the mix. Those concerns would be wiped out though off the drop of the puck as the Giants re-established their tenacious forecheck and dominant puck possession play. No Gordie Howe tonight in attendance, but Pat Quinn was there to represent the owner contingent. It was a good crowd tonight and last years draft pick Evander Kane had a very solid night of his own, potting two markers.

The Giants came out flying in the first, but Kristofer Westblom stood tall turning away all of the sixteen shots the home squad threw his way. Westblom had a bit of luck on his side, but also made some excellent stops keeping his team in a game in which they had no desire to compete. The G-Men controlled the boards, the slot , the neutral zone, but especially their own end of the ice, where they gamely dropped to block shots and had picture perfect man to man coverage in their own zone.

The second opened much the same as the first. The Giants pressed hard in the offensive zone and were not willing to back-off into the neutral zone when they lost possession in the Kelowna end, but fought hard to regain possession before the puck crossed the blue line. Machacek opened the scoring short-handed firing a puck from the corner and going in off a either the goalie or a Rocket defender. Five minutes later Craig Cunningham got his first WHL goal ever, on the PP, (yay) celebrating like he’d just scored the game-winning goal in a Memorial Cup final. My first thought was “wow, is that guy ever excited”, but when I realized that it was Cunningham who scored the goal (off a pretty sweet one-timer I might add), then it all made sense. Michal Repik literally dived for the loose puck so he could hand it to Craig for his first goal. Congrats Craig, may this be the start of many more to come. The Giants weren’t done in the second as Lance Bouma chipped the puck over Westblom, putting the G-Men up 3-0. Westblom was pulled at that point in favour of Torrie Jung, who had a solid showing with his team having their backs against the wall.

The third began with fisticuffs just over a minute in, as brand new Giant Mike Reich (pronounced Reach, for those of you interested) singled Lyon Messier out of a scrum around the net and ended up pounding the top of his helmet as Messier dropped like a stone, turtling for all he was worth. Reich and Messier both got five and a game for their trouble. The much more interesting fight out of that scrum, however, was between Hunt and Luke Schenn a very large veteran Kelowna d-man. Schenn got the upper had early, tying up Hunt and battering the little tough guy with rights to the top of the head, but eventually Hunt got a fist loose, began throwing uppercuts and then managed to pull Schenn’s jersey over his head finishing off with some hard jabs, before the linesmen stepped in. Overall the fight was draw, but I haven’t seen a jersey actually pulled over a player’s head in many years so for me it was indeed memorable, especially because Garet looked straight at me and my buddy in the corner with the most aggressive fearsome wild man look. It was as if he was possessed, maybe he was. Chris Cloud and Bloodoff (not sure if it was Lucas or Evan) dropped the gloves a couple of minutes after that sawing off to a feisty draw.
Those battles seemed to deplete any energy reserves the Rockets might have had left as they watched the Giants skates rings around them padding the lead with a couple of more goals, both scored by 16 yr old Evander Kane. The first came off of a nice feed from Jonny Blum, after some solid dipsying and also doodling by Michal Repik who had three assists on the night. The second was a beauty. A pass to the slot went off a Kelowna defender and bounced to the open side right onto Kane’s stick. Kane rifled a shot top shelf to put the Giants up 5-0, where they would remain the rest of the evening. I should mention an interesting tidbit is that when the Giants scored their fourth goal, their goal total equalled Kelowna’s shot total.
Total dominance by the home squad from start to finish. Lots of ice-time for the third and fourth liners, including PP time. The defense was seamless, blocking shot after shot and keeping all of the action to the outside. Very rarely did the Kelowna forwards gain access to the slot and when they did Sexsmith was there to make the stop. Jonny Blum earned top star honours for basically being invisible. There were some nice offensive forays, but it was really his ability to quietly cut off angles giving the other team nowhere to go and finishing his check in the corner as well as blocking the slot any way he could which gave him the nod. Apparently, playing with Festerling last year has rubbed off. The two assists didn’t hurt any either.

On a night where the Lions were playing at home, the Canucks away and the Giants their home opener, for the Giants to get that kind of crowd proves that the Giants are rising in the collective unconscious of the city. It was good night for the city, as all three Vancouver squads won their games with the Lions and Giants dominating their opponents. The Giants went 1 for 7 on the PP, while the Rockets went 0 for 6. The Giants head up the valley to take on the Chilliwack Bruins tomorrow (Sun). Puck drops at 5pm, and can be heard on NW AM980.

Three Stars

1. Jonathon Blum
2. Michal Repik
3. Evander Kane

steamer1112
09-30-2007, 04:49 AM
Congratulations to the Giants and especially to "Richie" Cunningham. I was pretty p o'd with Sportsnet. After about 15 minutes of other stuff they finally showed about 5 seconds of the banner going up and then about 5 seconds of the score. They also had Cane scoring 2 goals. You'd think that with a Memorial cup banner they might deserve at least a minute or so.

Soundy
09-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Great recap, Dondo, as always!

A couple points you missed:
- Total shot count was 48-9(!!).
- Not only did the Giants get 16 shots in the first, they also held the Rockets to NONE.
- Speaking of Lyon Messier, according to the radio broadcast (I was listening during a half-hour-plus wait in line for food), daddy Mark was in attendance last night.

A few pics:
The Memorial Cup and the Banner...
http://lh6.google.com/soundy106/Rv9JMrs8zrI/AAAAAAAACDc/P9_850FKrOk/s800/IMG_9452.JPG

Announced attendance...
http://lh5.google.com/soundy106/Rv9JJbs8ziI/AAAAAAAACCU/cYVWuYFZc_8/s800/IMG_9524.JPG

Final score (check out that shot clock!)...
http://lh3.google.com/soundy106/Rv9JI7s8zhI/AAAAAAAACCM/fCy2S1YWWQo/s800/IMG_9526.JPG

More here: http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy106/Giants20072008HomeOpener

Not a lot of game action - our seats in sec. A this year aren't all that great for photos, as the @*^#$* safety net is in the way of just about everything past the goal line. Great for watching the action, not so much for snapping pics. Ah well.

Knuckles Muldoon
09-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Great pics, Soundy. :thumb:
Although the ceremonies were basically unspectacular, I thought Machacek and Repik hoisting the Cup was cool.

Giantsfan
09-30-2007, 11:41 AM
I thought it was an entertaining game, more after the players got their legs going. I found the 1st period rather dull, but they completely controlled the game from the drop of the puck.
I'm looking forward to the game today, as I am sure there will be some fireworks off the faceoff.

Giantsfan
09-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Does anyone know why McEwan wasn't dressed? Couldn't find anything on him being injured & in a game vs the Giants you'd think they would make sure he was in.

Great to see the Giants at the top of the pims in the DUB. This team, with or without Lucic, is definitely the toughest in the league, & the most entertaining. Gotta love the all out, in your face aggressive fore check game they play compared to what the Tips have been playing since their inception. Looks good on Everett that they are at the bottom of the US Division. Yes, it's very early, but it's still great to see!

Bruins_Booster
09-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm looking forward to the game today, as I am sure there will be some fireworks off the faceoff.

Well, it definitely won't be coming from our goaltender :laugh: ;)

dondo
09-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Great recap, Dondo, as always!

A couple points you missed:
- Total shot count was 48-9(!!).
- Not only did the Giants get 16 shots in the first, they also held the Rockets to NONE.

you have been skimming my friend -- read the first paragraph again -- it was my opener (or did I miss the exclamation points :p )

After sweeping their road trip to start the season the Giants were eager to get back home, raise a few banners and continue playing Giants hockey. The 12000 strong that showed up for their home opener got the opportunity to see more than a few new guys in traditional Giants burgundy garb and were not disappointed with what they saw. The home team embarrassed the visitors out-shooting them 16-0 in the first period and continuing that dominance throughout the game holding the Rockets to single digits in shots at just nine, ending the tally at 48-9. (!!)

Soundy
09-30-2007, 01:48 PM
I did miss that. My bad. :P

C.F
09-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Man is it ever great to be back at the rink. Awesome game by the guys, it still makes me smile to see the Giants consistantly beat up on the Rockets. Imagine that 3 years ago? :)

Hunt's ability to entertain never ceases to amaze me. It's great to have him back.

On a side note, the bathrooms sure do look nice. Though I do have one complaint regarding off ice issues, and that's the big merchandise booth they have that blocks off half of the concourse. I realize the store is small, but that area is crowded enough as it is, and it was pretty much a complete standstill where the booth was set up. I know they had this last year too, but it at least seemed to me like it was pushed out further last night.

scrunt
09-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Though I do have one complaint regarding off ice issues, and that's the big merchandise booth they have that blocks off half of the concourse. I realize the store is small, but that area is crowded enough as it is, and it was pretty much a complete standstill where the booth was set up. I know they had this last year too, but it at least seemed to me like it was pushed out further last night.

Sadly, that will never change. The objective is to "get in the faces" of the fans: the more the booths disrupt the flow, the more they think people will notice the stuff and stop to buy it.

Beaner
09-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Does anyone know why McEwan wasn't dressed? Couldn't find anything on him being injured & in a game vs the Giants you'd think they would make sure he was in.

I think McEwan is out with a groin injury.