PDA

View Full Version : Another Loss

WestLEAFfan
09-30-2007, 07:04 AM
The COUGARS are now 0 - 3! Yikes. What's going on with CYR? He must be very frustrated with himself and his defence. Looks like he dropped the mitts with the Bruins goalie Esposito last night and was tossed for his efforts. At least he is not taking the losses lightly. Hang in there Real. We still believe in you. applause

Bruins_Booster
09-30-2007, 09:25 AM
What I love about the WHL is the heart that the players and the fans bring to the game. Even with the loss, Wishart played well and Tyrell had a decent showing. Cyr did get lit up in the first, but his support caved after the first two went in. Tommy T. made some nice saves and while you want to see Cyr go the distance, PG has a decent backup. I had a great time visiting with a PG billet in our row until the line brawl sent her billet out of the game with a dislocated shoulder. I think the bigger testament to this PG game was that they didn't let up until the empty netter, while our boys simply tried to shut it down in the second by playing the trap. It's going to be a long year in PG and hopefully the fans stick with them.

WestLEAFfan
09-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Nice comments Bruins Booster. You're a classy guy/gal. The nice thing about this forum is people like you. Thank-you! applause :)

Giantsfan
09-30-2007, 12:32 PM
No offense, but the Cougars need a heart transplant.

I guess it would be much better if they had a different owner, but the Cougars have been spinning their wheels season after season. I don't mind PG, but until that owner sells the team, I don't see many positives coming from the North.
It was great to hear about sold out barns in the playoffs last spring, but I feel for their fans because as long as they have the same owner, he's not about to sink a ton of dough into the team. Too bad, because I feel the community would fully back the organization if they had a different owner. I've been up to Prince 3x to watch games & I really enjoy the hockey atmosphere up there.

WestLEAFfan
09-30-2007, 01:55 PM
I've heard several others with the same opinion as yours regarding the ownership. I tend to agree as well. You'd think that the owners are just looking for an excuse to move the team.

Giantsfan
09-30-2007, 01:57 PM
The owner of PG had offers of basically, a name your price open cheque but he didn't want to sell it. It must be extremely frustrating to the fans.

sbtatter
09-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Who are the owners? What aren't they doing to help the team? I don't know anything about the PG situation.

puckmam
09-30-2007, 02:04 PM
A group of PG businessmen have tried to buy the team in the past and were quickly shut down. Fans want and need a change of ownership! Fans support the team but not enough to put $ into the owners' pockets.

CYR in a fight! I can't imagine such a classy guy breaking like that!

puckmam
09-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Brodsky owns it,his son-in-law manages it and his daughter is in management

WestLEAFfan
09-30-2007, 02:07 PM
A group of PG businessmen have tried to buy the team in the past and were quickly shut down. Fans want and need a change of ownership! Fans support the team but not enough to put $ into the owners' pockets.

CYR in a fight! I can't imagine such a classy guy breaking like that!

Don't kid yourself puckmam! CYR is not afraid of the rough stuff, in fact he'll drop the mitts at every opportunity. He proudly brought me an autographed pic of him and then BRUIN goalie Archibald exchanging pleasantries last season. :)

sbtatter
09-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Brodsky owns it,his son-in-law manages it and his daughter is in management
What would the fans like them to do differently?

puckmam
09-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Still seems out of character :)

What's your take on current ownersip?

smileyjones
09-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Not sure if they are looking for an excuse to move or not, there has been ample opportunity to leave before now and it hasn't happened. I'm sure lots of teams in the league would appreciate less travel, however, they need to look at available markets and in the WHL area, there are really very few more attractive markets. There's Victoria (he won't be moving back there), Nanaimo (no rink yet) and maybe a couple in the States. You have to think the league would be in a very akward situation if the current owner wants to leave because he says he can't make it, yet there are many potential owners in the wings who would happily keep the team in PG.

As for Cyr, I know you guys are big fans and I'm going to hold off on big time critism because he's done so much for this team over the years, but he needs to pick up his socks and quickly. His numbers are absolutely horrid. Granted, the D may not have been great but he's got to make the odd spectacular save to bail out his d-men too. This team needs solid defense and goaltending until the young forwards get their bearings. Anything less than a very solid effort on the back end will result in a disaster.

puckmam
10-01-2007, 04:16 AM
The team hints at moving due to empty seats but fans want an entertaining prodduct for their $ Watching them get their butts kicked isn't entertaining.

Look at the differnce from the end of last season to noiw. It must be very frustrating for returning players.

Could Brodsky be looking to redo his record in Victoria?

Sput
10-01-2007, 10:25 AM
First off......I'M BAAACCCCKKKKKK! It was a long week at work to start the season off, but now I have three days to catch up and get my two bits in on this board.

As far as the team itself goes, I have to remind myself this is the first time the Cougars did a legitimat rebuild and the majority of players are young. I can live with some losses if the effort is there. Game one with Spoke had a good effort. Game two looked like Spokane skrimmaging with a Bantam 'B" team. There was no effort. Sounded like the team got things together once the fight broke out. For whatever reason that happened, they collectively can't afford to wait that long to change the game up.

Cyr. As good as he's been in the past, unfortunately goaltending is a "what have you done for me lately" situation. Game 2 with Spokane he stunk, plain and simple. I honestly can't figure out why the coach would keep him in after going down 5-1, 6-1 in the first period. Danyluck came in and stood on his head, and now for his efforts he gets shipped back to SJHL. Hmmm.....

Ownership. One thing to keep in mind, (well actually a few things) is the Brodsky's haven't had a good record anywhere after 30+ years in the league. This is the first year there has been anything done for the fans, but that was just for the first game, and I somehow don't expect give aways for season ticket holders to continue. One thing that they did do, and may have saved a few season ticket holders, is they cut kid tickets in half, so a kid's season ticket is only $130. PG also has the distiction of having two junior hockey teams, the Cougs and the PG Spruce Kings of the BCHL. For the Cougars second game you could have put all the fans that watched live hockey in the Colesium and still not sold it out (approx. 1500 at CNCenter and around 200 at the Kings). The is no excuse for this other than to say the large majority of the fans here are bandwagon jumpers, and oddly enough most of them seem to be Canuck fans too, so I'll draw my conclusions from that haha . Would local ownership make that big of a differnce? Not positive, but I doubt it. It would make some difference, but not huge. So far it does look like Brodsky is trying to repeat the wonderful performance he did in Victoria, but only time will tell. Publicly he is saying all the right things, but it makes my wonder what goes on behind closed doors.