PDA

View Full Version : Kraus excited to surf new turf

nivek_wahs
10-02-2007, 08:30 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=ee89b1c8-45bf-4cf6-8b60-ca43be6592c5

Kraus excited to surf new turf

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Back home in California, Tim Kraus is like a fish out of water.

Despite his beach-going origin, the Regina Pats' centre is the first to admit he isn't much of a surfer. Kraus prefers to make waves on the ice, proudly displaying his Canadian-like passion for a game that's foreign in nature.

"It definitely wasn't common in my neighbourhood," offered Kraus, 20, who grew up in Garden Grove (near Anaheim). "My first (competitive) hockey was playing ball hockey over at the YMCA on roller blades. My stepdad grew up playing in California so he was probably even more rare than I was. He met my mom when I was about five. He got me and my brother right into skates and built some hockey nets. We were hooked as soon as we got the sticks in our hands. He coached me through a lot of years so a lot of my development is because of him."

Kraus's natural gifts emerged at a young age, eventually leading to an important decision. Should he continue honing his skills in the U.S. -- at the junior A or NCAA level -- or should he stickhandle across the 49th parallel?

Since school wasn't his preference, Kraus did some homework on the WHL. He concluded that playing in Canada would give him the best opportunity to "move on" in his career.

Kraus's northern exposure was facilitated by the Vancouver Giants, who took a flyer on the California kid when they selected him in the seventh round (130th overall) of the 2003 bantam draft.

It proved to be a steal of a deal.

Kraus went on to play 292 games with the Giants -- winning a WHL title in 2006 and a Memorial Cup crown in 2007 -- before he was dealt to the Pats on Thursday along with defenceman Juraj Valach.

"In Tim they're getting a highly skilled guy, probably the most skilled guy we've had here," offered Giants GM Scott Bonner, who acquired defenceman Craig Schira and forward Mike Reich in the deal. "(Kraus) could be a guy who leads the league in scoring. He has that type of upside."

Kraus also has a history with Don Hay's doghouse, but the Giants' head coach remains a staunch supporter of Kraus -- as a player and a person.

"Everybody thinks I don't like Timmy, but I really liked the things he's done," Hay told the Vancouver Province. "I don't like his inconsistency, but I've believed in Tim and we've tried to help him become a better player here. At this stage of his career, going to a new team will be the best thing for Tim. Maybe the change will bring back a high energy, because he definitely has the skills."

In spite of some difficult times, Kraus cherished his time in B.C.

"I learned a lot while I was there," he said. "Just being on championship teams, you make a lot of friends and you're never going to forget those years. I'm very grateful for all that."

He's also grateful for a fresh start.

Kraus knows what it takes to succeed at this level -- he has two titles to prove it -- and is eager to bring that knowledge to a team that's hungry for a championship of its own.

"From everything I've heard, even from the management in Vancouver, I'm coming to a team that wants to win," said Kraus, who had one goal and one assist in his first three games with Regina. "I think we have a lot of pieces to a puzzle. But it's not going to just happen. I know how focused we have to be and how much tighter things have to get (in the playoffs). Once we get to that time of year I can share my experiences with the guys."

The expectations don't scare Kraus, nor does the weather. In fact, Regina was high on his wish list when the possibility of a trade was first broached this summer.

"It's going to be cold, that's for sure, but I know it's coming," Kraus, whose family now lives in Stanwood, Wash., said with a smile. "It's just snow. It's either a lot of snow here or a ton of rain in Vancouver."

Kraus is eagerly anticipating a cold reception for the Pats' opposition this season, but first he has to warm up to his new team. He was thrown directly into the fire on the weekend without the benefit of a practice.

"The biggest thing for me is the systems," he said. "I'm not sure what I'm doing so a lot of times you find yourself in the wrong place. We've got four days off (before Moose Jaw comes to town Friday), so I'll get to spend time with the guys and get a couple practices in."

From there, all Kraus has to do is live up to the label of being the franchise's most-anticipated trade acquisition in years. No problem, right?

"There's gonna be pressure," added Kraus, the Giants' No. 2 scorer last season with 66 points in 70 games. "I know people are expecting me to bring a lot of offence to this team. I'm gonna bring little things as well, winning faceoffs and killing penalties. I'm excited to be able to work (hard) and help them win. Any time you get a chance to win is exciting."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007