View Full Version : Warriors lose despite improved effort

nivek_wahs
10-02-2007, 09:57 AM
http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=66859&sc=9

Last updated at 10:29 AM on 01/10/07

Warriors lose despite improved effort

MATTHEW GOURLIE
The Moose Jaw Times Herald

With their hard hats on and lunch pails packed, the Moose Jaw Warriors set out to put in 60 minutes of hard labour against the Canadian Hockey League’s top ranked team.
Though the Warriors only punched out with a point in a 3-2 overtime loss to the Calgary Hitmen Saturday, they took a big step forward in finding their team identity.
“The effort was good tonight. We competed and worked,” said Warriors head coach Dave Hunchak. “Calgary is an awfully good team . . . and I thought we were right with them.
“I thought our penalty kill was very good tonight. I thought our power play was good tonight. I thought five-on-five we played pretty well tonight. Now we have to mentally find a way to win these games.”
Brett Sonne’s goal 3:43 into overtime handed the Warriors their third straight one-goal loss this season. The Warriors are 0-1-2, while the Hitmen (5-1) remained unbeaten for another night before losing to Regina Sunday.
“That’s three one-goal games now and we have to learn to win those games,” said Hunchak. “It’s going to be a process. The challenge for us is to help these players through this process so we can get on the other side of a 3-2 win or a 2-1 win.”
After failing to put together anything close to a full 60 minutes in either of their first two games, the Warriors were able to find consistency in their effort.
“The first two games we didn’t compete the way we could have. We still didn’t play a full 60 minutes, but it was a step in the right direction,” said Warriors left winger Brady Calla, who had a pair of assists.
“We worked really hard the last two days (in practice) and it was a nice step forward that we took.”
Hunchak hopes his team will continue to work hard, but now they need to work smarter as well.
“There’s things that we do and we’re continuing to work on breaking those habits,” said Hunchak. “A great example is (Jordan) Knackstedt through the neutral zone had a chance to get the puck deep and their second goal and doesn’t. Little things — in overtime (Giffen) Nyren ices the puck when he has a whole zone to skate with.
“Things like that is what we have to learn. We have to learn composure in the game. We have to learn how to deal with situations when they arise and take advantage of them or shut them down.”
Travis Ehrhardt opened the scoring with a power-play goal 2:24 into the first period. Joel Broda restored the Warriors’ one-goal lead on the power-play in the third period. It was his first goal for the Warriors since being acquired from the Tri-City Americans Tuesday for Jason Reese.
Ian Schultz and Brandon Kozun replied for the Hitmen.
“I thought we were very average. I didn’t think we played as well as we can,” said Hitmen head coach and general manager Kelly Kisio. “For the second night in a row we were lucky that our goaltending was very good.”
Martin Jones made 30 saves for the Hitmen. Joey Perricone stopped 36 shots for the Warriors.
Calla feels that their work ethic has to be part of the team every day and not just during the 60 minutes during games. As they prepare for Regina Friday, the Warriors are looking to continue to work hard between games as they search for their first win.
“Everyone has to put their hard hats on and go to work this week,” said Calla. “We have to keep the standard we set for work in practice this week and bring it to the game.”

Matthew Gourlie can be reached at 691-1261

patsdude114
10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
warriors loose due to a complete soft goal from perricone in OT...... was at the game sat in sec 11 with my boss terrible goal....all Perricone did was look at the roof after it went in cuz he knew it was a softy as well