PDA

View Full Version : Pats give Hanson a homecoming

nivek_wahs
10-03-2007, 09:31 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1089

Pats give Hanson a homecoming

Rob Vanstone, Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Cody Hanson's new team is hardly new to him.

Growing up in the Queen City, Hanson wanted to play for the WHL's Regina Pats. That dream became reality when the Pats acquired the 17-year-old centre from the Seattle Thunderbirds.

"Like every young kid coming up in minor hockey and watching the Pats, I always wanted to play for them one day,'' Hanson said Tuesday night, shortly after returning to the family home for the first time since August. "It's really a dream come true.

"I'm glad to come home and really excited to play in front of everyone.''

Hanson was the Thunderbirds' first-round choice (16th overall) in the 2005 bantam draft. He spent the 2006-07 Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League season with the Regina Pat Canadians, registering 16 goals and 26 assists in 42 games.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pounder did not hit the scoresheet in three early-season games with the 2007-08 Thunderbirds.

"I knew something was going to happen,'' Hanson said. "There were so many forwards in Seattle that it was a battle to get into the lineup. I knew someone was going to get traded. I wasn't sure it was going to be me.''

Hanson learned Monday night that Regina had acquired him for a conditional selection in the 2009 bantam draft. The nature of the compensation will depend on how Hanson performs with the Pats over the next two seasons.

"We're excited for him to be playing at home,'' Pats general manager Brent Parker said. "We've got 12 forwards right now, so there's an opportunity for him to work himself into the lineup. Hopefully there will be good things to come for him and us.''

Parker said the Pats were interested in Hanson because he is a "tremendous young guy,'' along with his size and team-oriented approach. Although the Pats do not project Hanson to be huge goal scorer, they expect him to chip in offensively as he matures as a player.

His home address didn't hurt, either.

"For a lot of teams, hometown kids have more value,'' said Parker, drawing a parallel to a 2004 deal in which the Pats obtained Regina-born forward Kyle Ross from the Red Deer Rebels.

"When we made the deal for Kyle, I remember Brent Sutter (then the Rebels' coach and GM) saying, 'He probably has more value to you than anyone.' With Cody, we see some upside. Hopefully, coming home will give him that opportunity he needs.''

Hanson fills a void on the Pats, being that their only other 1990-born forward is Jordan Eberle, who scored a team-high 28 goals as a 16-year-old last winter.

"That's not a bad '90 forward,'' Parker said, "but nonetheless he was our only one. You've got to be conscious of down the road and the age groups.''

The entire Hanson family welcomed the trade, given the convenience factor of watching Cody play at home.

"My wife had already booked a holiday for November to see the Thunderbirds' swing through Alberta,'' said Rob Hanson, Cody's father. "We can cancel that now and take in games at home. That will save on some travel.

"This is awesome. We're very excited about it.''

Hanson met his new teammates and Pats head coach Curtis Hunt on Tuesday afternoon after flying from Seattle to Calgary to Regina. Hanson has yet to be advised whether he will play Friday against the visiting Moose Jaw Warriors.

"It was all positive,'' he said. "I'm glad that I can be here. I hope I can jump in the lineup and help them out.''