PDA

View Full Version : Juniors provided with bus fit for an Oil King

nivek_wahs
10-03-2007, 09:38 AM
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=475e32c4-e4fb-419f-bc98-6b3e1f5c4e26

Juniors provided with bus fit for an Oil King

Scott Petersen, The Edmonton Journal
Published: 1:51 am

EDMONTON - The luxuries of home will soon accompany the Edmonton Oil Kings on the road.

Bus travel is a major part of junior hockey and the players got a peek at their new ride when it arrived at Rexall Place for Tuesday's practice. The response was unanimous praise for the vehicle that boasts 42 leather seats, a kitchenette, and extensive entertainment options.

"That bus is pretty much like a hotel on wheels," said defenceman Michael Hengen, who has played with five teams in the Western Hockey League. "It's really nice. I know lots of other teams don't have it very good, and it's tough sleeping and everyone's cramping up and stuff on the bus. So we're going to be a little more comfortable and have a little more luxury. Hopefully we can use that to our advantage and get some wins on the road."

Most players have travelled in regular coach buses during their junior hockey experience, while others have had the misfortune of calling converted school buses their home on the road. Either way, the experience of lengthy road trips and overnight travel will certainly get an upgrade this season.

The bus will be outfitted with a fridge and microwave in the corner kitchen area at the back, while the seats give plenty of leg room for reclining, or sleeping on the floor. Among the entertainment options soon to be available are wireless internet, satellite radio, satellite TV, a DVD player, and tables at the back for playing cards.

Electrical outlets are available to each seat for electronics, like laptops, allowing players to catch up on homework and e-mails with family and friends.

"The bus is unreal," said overage defenceman Matt Swaby. "(It's) the nicest one I've ever been on. It's pretty fancy, lots of room on there, nice seats, real comfortable. Anyone can stretch out and get the rest they need, so it'll be handy for long road trips."

While the entertainment extras are an added bonus to cure boredom, comfort for sitting and sleeping are keys for players who'll see their share of over-night travel over 34 remaining road games. Cramped conditions, and the squeaks and rattles of a well-worn bus, are among players' pet peeves.

"To be honest, nothing compares to the one here," said Hengen, calling the Calgary Hitmen's bus the next closest thing. "They run a first-class program here and give us a lot of things, so I hope we work hard and get some wins in return."

Golden Arrow spent $600,000 on the bus and all its extras, and the Oil Kings will be its primary user. Visiting NHL teams and other hockey clubs that don't mind the Oil Kings logo splashed across the side will also rent it.

The bus, made by Prevost, is designed for long trips and has its share of safety features for the uncertainty of weather conditions and winding roads. It's much different than the Swift Current Broncos bus that flipped on its side in icy conditions in 1986, killing four players inside.

The Oil Kings bus has a fire suppression system in case the engine overheats and catches fire, is designed with a breakaway front end in case of head-on collisions, and has an elevated passenger seating area. The bus company has also chosen two experienced drivers to split duties with the team.

spetersen@thejournal.canwest.com

© The Edmonton Journal 2007

zinger
10-03-2007, 11:12 AM
sounds like a nice bus, and will make life on the road that much easier. I think most or all of the teams in the WHL have modern / newer buses similar to this one, but without some of the ammenities. I'd like to hear of the other teams' buses, if any old dinosaurs out there are still being used.

dagley
10-03-2007, 12:12 PM
I haven't seen any team in the Dub's not in cruisers. If any team is calling a school bus home for long road trips, shame on their organization.

old_time_hockey
10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
I know the Cougars bus is amazing. Might be getting a little dated now though. I believe they have some bunks in the back and the seats will almost recline out into a bed.

Cougs and Oil Kings are in pretty much the same boat travel wise being the most Northern teams.