PDA

View Full Version : Shock has worn off for new Giant Schira

nivek_wahs
10-04-2007, 08:18 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=5fd809fd-5d6b-4af5-999e-3edfdcf2b5bb

Shock has worn off for new Giant Schira

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, October 04, 2007

The last thing Craig Schira ever wanted -- the last thing he imagined -- was having to walk away from the Regina Pats.

The 19-year-old defenceman admits it felt like slapshot in the gut when he was traded to the Vancouver Giants, but a funny thing happened on the way to the West Coast. The more time Schira spent with his new team, the more he began to realize that playing for the defending Memorial Cup champions had a nice ring to it -- literally.

"I didn't get one, but at least I got to be there," said a chuckling Schira, who watched the Giants receive their championship rings on Monday night. "I wanted to win a Memorial Cup (in Regina). Now it's not going to happen, but I think this is meant to be. Hopefully I can do it with a fresh start (in Vancouver)."

The ring ceremony capped off a surreal introduction to Schira's new hockey home. Two days earlier, the native of Spiritwood made his Giants' debut in the team's home-opener, during which the Memorial Cup banner was unveiled in front of over 12,000 screaming fans at Pacific Coliseum.

"Even though I wasn't part of their team last year, it was still pretty exciting," he said. "Seeing all the support and how excited the guys are for this year, it's something I want to be a part of."

Given everything Schira has seen and heard over the past few days, he wouldn't be surprised if the Giants do indeed take another run at the CHL title.

"It's kind of a different atmosphere with these guys," he noted. "They expect to win every game and it's nothing less than that. I guess it's why they do win a lot."

Schira is a big part of Vancouver's lofty goals for this season.

He had been coveted by the Giants since early in the summer, when Regina initially spoke to them about centre Tim Kraus. The talks stalled until Vancouver agreed to throw in defenceman Juraj Valach, with the Pats sending forward Mike Reich the other way.

"We've been trying to acquire (Schira) for a while," said Giants GM Scott Bonner. "I know the Pats had reservations about trading him. Our head scout Jason Ripplinger lives there (in Regina). He has heard nothing but rave reviews about his character. Anyone who knows the program we've had the last couple years, that plays a big factor. Sometimes we'll give up a little on the skill side to get a quality kid. We think in Schira's case we're getting the best of both."

Schira, who was an assistant captain with the Pats, is expected to help solidify a Giants defence which graduated key veterans in Brett Festerling, Cody Franson and Brendan Mikkelson.

Schira has settled in quickly, recording an assist and a plus-three rating in his first two games with the team.

"I'm starting to get into all the systems and figure things out a little bit," he said. "With Don (Hay), he coaches much the same way Curtis (Hunt) did as far as systems go. It's not that hard to catch on."

The biggest adjustment has been mental, not physical.

"I was planning on staying in Regina until I finished my career; that's the team I cared a lot about," lamented Schira, the Pats' sixth-round pick in the 2003 bantam draft. "They've been good to me and I wanted to be the best I could for them. Walking out of the Pats' dressing room, realizing I'm probably not going to be in there again, it was quite the shock. It has sunk in now, but the first day or two I just couldn't believe it. I went from living on the prairies my whole life in Saskatchewan and now I'm living in the big city of Vancouver. It's quite a change."

But a good one.

"I'm glad I got traded here," he concluded. "Saying goodbye to the guys and leaving a team that you've been part of for three years, that's the hardest part. But now I'm a Vancouver Giant and I couldn't be happier."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Giantsfan
10-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Always great to hear that he wants to be here & that he was an assistant with the Pats. A team can never have enough leadership.

Priceisright
10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Sounds like a very down to earth guy and all around good person. applause I hope he enjoys his stay.

Tadaa
10-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Just wait until he starts rattling the teeth of some of your west coast forwards when he clobbers them into the boards!!! You'll love it!